Last days

The light in my eyes

A/N

Hey! It's Litha. I am so sorry for taking so long on the first chapter! I got swamped with work and personal stuff... my best friend passed away last summer and I just couldnt get myself to continue writing this fanfic centered around her bias....

I am a bit better now, but I apologize for the chapter being kind of short.

 

---

He took off his helmet, wiping his forehead. His bangs were sticking to his skin, the hair wet with sweat.

Around him, people were staring, but he paid no attention to them as he left his helmet with his motorcycle, entering the building.

 

It was an orphanage, and he had been volunteering here for the past couple of weeks, taking care of the tiny, underprivileged kids.

They loved him, and were always curious about him, asking thousands of questions about everything they could think of. They'd ask any question without shame and without holding back.

It made him smile at times, but he didn't like it when things got too personal.

 

Hiding the bag of toys he brought behind his back, he entered the room he knew they'd be playing.

Their faces lit up, the moment they noticed him walking in.

 

“Youjin!”

 

He smiled, noticing that kids were still  struggling hard to pronounce his name correctly. It was sweet that they tried.

A swarm of children soon surrounded him, chatting loudly, touching his light skin and curiously grabbing at the bag behind his back.

 

He kneeled down, looking at one of the caretakers for help. She helped get the children to sit down quietly, before leaving the room. It was his last time visiting so she granted him some privacy.

 

Opening the bag, he revealed the contents to them. An excited whisper went through the group as they saw presents in the bag, all neatly wrapped and even labeled, their names carefully written in hangul.

 

They waited patiently as he handed out presents to every kid, their eyes curiously examining the shape of their package, and the name tags.

When the last kid had received his present, he motioned at them, resulting in the kids ripping open the paper of their presents.

To say they were curious about the contents, would be an understatement.

 

A ripple of excitement went through the group as they each unveiled the toy Youjin had picked out for them.

Over the course of the last couple of weeks he had gotten to know the kids, and with the assistance of the caretakers, he had selected toys for each individual kid. This way, he was sure they’d remember him, and that they had a toy that matched their personalities and that they actually enjoyed.

 

Next thing he knew, he was smothered in a pile of children, all trying to thank him and hug him. Resisting the urge to make a face, like he usually did when it came to close contact like this, he just smiled, telling them he was happy they liked his presents.

It wasn’t long before he wasn’t smothered in a pile of children, as they had set off to play with their new toys. It was cute seeing them, playing and showing other kids what they got.

 

Getting up, he dusted off his clothes, just watching them with a smile. The caretaker came standing next to him again, her head barely reaching his shoulders.

 

Feeling something tugging on his pants, he looked down. A pair of big, innocent brown eyes looked up to him, and tiny arms are stretched out. He picked the little girl up, setting her on his arm.

 

“Are you going home?”

 

He nodded.

 

“I am going to miss you.” She said as she hugged him, resting her tiny head on his shoulder.

 

“Ari?”

 

She turned her head, looking at him with her big brown eyes. “Yes?”

 

“Would you like it if I came back?”

 

A big smile spread on her face as her eyes started to sparkle.

 

“Yes.”

 

---

 

Parking his bike in the garage, he looked around. People were not staring, yet. But he knew that once he took off his helmet, they would. So he decided to walk into the apartment complex with his helmet on.

He could do without the stares for a while.

 

Once he was back in his apartment, the first thing he did was take off his helmet. Relieved he could finally breathe freely, he the air conditioning.

Casually strolling around the room, he checked his phone. The amount of messages and calls he got had increased the closer it was to the date he’d come back to Korea.

 

Dialing the all familiar number, he put the phone to his ear. He heard a bit of creaking before the line connected, a tired voice muttering a hello.

 

“Youjin?”

 

Youjin smiled at his phone, even though he knew the other person on the line wouldn’t be able to see it.

 

“Hello Himchan.”

 

“Long time no hear! How is India?”

 

“Warm”

 

Himchan chuckled. “I doubt you called to talk about the warmth.”

 

“You’re the one to message me you had something to tell me.”

 

Even though Himchan was Youjins ex, they had remained pretty good friends after they parted ways, both agreeing that they got along better now that they were friends than back when they were lovers.

In fact, Himchan was the boy he was dating back when he came out to his parents. After all this time, he’d always have a soft spot for the boy.

 

“Yeah… I was just wondering how things were between you and Seungjun?”

 

Youjin frowned. “Actually, it’s not going that well. I was going to break up with him once I got back. What about it?”

 

“Youjin.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you know what date it is?”

 

“June 22nd. What about it?”

 

“Youjin.”

 

At this point, he started to get a bit irritated. What even was Himchan playing at?


“It has been almost 2 years.”