Ahreum

Escape

In the dark cold cell she was now becoming used to, Ahreum woke up to a strange noise. It wasn’t the usual screams and cries she was all too familiar with. It was different; faint, and coming closer.

 

She rubbed her eyes, adjusting to the dim lighting before rising from her sleeping position to move towards the bars. Looking to her left to see what the commotion was, she could see guards dragging a young man.

 

                  “Stop! Let me go!...”    

 

She kneeled down and continued to to hold onto the bars, knowing that this wasn’t going to end well for the poor man. He was resisting too much, it’ll only agitate them more.  

 

                  “Please I didn’t do anything, please! Please! I didn't do anything...”

 

She pressed her face against the bars when she noticed his tears, and flinched when they finally knocked him out. She and everyone else in their cells continued to watch as they began to drag his body once more. The only difference between her and the others was that she actually pitied the young man, while everyone else didn’t. Their screams were for the guards not the boy, pleading and cursing to let them go even though they all knew they weren’t listening.

They continued to drag the poor guy closer and closer, and before she knew it they stopped in front of her cell. Her breathing became shallow and rapid as she stayed glued to her spot, looking up at the guards in front of her. The four guards stayed still and staring straight ahead, knowing that their presence was intimidating for all, especially Ahreum.

 

One of the guards stepped forward, slowly moving his head from side to side, most likely noting the difference between her empty cell and the cramped one across from her. Ahreum didn’t really care about a new roommate- or cellmate for that matter, she was just praying that this specific guard wasn’t who she thought it was.

She knew her prayers weren’t heard, when she saw the thin silver band wrapped around his sleeve. She muttered a curse under her breath, holding onto the bars as if her life depended on it when he turned to look down at her with those disgustingly haunting eyes of his.

 

He tilted his head back to let out a loud resonating laugh, causing her to shiver and for the other guards to take notice of her. He crouched down to her level analysing her, while she stayed still trying to not let her nervousness be noticed. His laughter finally dying down, he does what they have been told never to do in front of inmates. He takes off his tinted helmet revealing himself.

The older man had a large wicked smile that never reached his hooded dark eyes, as they pierced into the girl’s soul. At the close proximity the girl could smell his disgusting scent of sweat and see his yellow teeth at full display only causing her to internally cringe.

Officer Gyu.

 

He was the cruelest officer that worked in this ‘facility’. Everyone feared him, and for good reason. He once got annoyed so much that he brutally beat one of his men and threw him in one of the cells for three nights. It was a young new recruit that was sent to be under the guidance of Officer Gyu, and his reason for his harsh actions was because the kids voice had been ‘irritating him’ all week. Luckily Ahreum’s sector was fairly calm compared to the others among the facility, so there weren’t too many run ins of Gyu and the prisoners here, but there had been terrifying stories of the other sectors and the officer’s temper resulting in broken bones and blood curdling screams.

He got away with many things that other officers didn’t, mainly because he was the Senior Officer. There were only a few people of higher rank than him, but they didn’t take part in the patrolling and keeping the prisoners in check, giving him most of the authority around the place. However, his intimidation and position went straight to his head, leading him to believe he was hot stuff everywhere he went. That was also why he could easily break the number one rule to never reveal their faces, several times.     

 

“Looks like you have a new roommate, sweetheart.” He looked at her up and down slowly, undressing her with his eyes making her swallow hard in fear, but she doesn’t flinch. Or at least tries not to.

“Drop him inside boys.” he smirks “Don’t worry, we’ll be seeing each other real soon.” Before he gets up and starts to walk away. She turns to see the other guards drop the unconscious man  on the floor before proceeding to release the metal chain around his neck while another takes off his glove and feels the back of his neck, trying to find the right spot before he jabs a needle to sedate his ability. As they go to leave they stare at her and knowingly smirk.

Ahreum stays in her position until she finally hears the footsteps fade away. She releases a deep breath once they’re gone, and glances back at the new guy before scooting away and sitting in a corner, knowing when he wakes he could go berserk like her past cellmates.

  ---------------------------------------------------------

She sits there for a good hour not able to sleep anymore, noting that it was almost dawn from the tiny window in the corridor. Ahreum can tell some people are already waking up again from the low groans she can hear. Turning her sights to the large lump on the ground, she continues to watch him. Not too long after she can see the faint movement of his chest, indicating that he’s alive, which is always a good sign.  She can’t see his face correctly from the distance she put between them, but she doesn’t risk getting too close. Finally she hears him move and watches him as he slowly wakes, mumbling and staring off into space, before noticing her.

Her eyes widen in surprise as he frantically sits up, before realizing that she may have frightened him. Ahreum prepares herself for the young man to scream and cry, just like her past cellmates when they first arrived, but this guy just continues to stare at her. Peculiar, she thought. Normally at this moment realization hits the person, and they go crazy, except that this guy hasn’t. Yet.

She slowly moves forward wanting to get a closer look at the guy, before making the wrong judgments. She stands in front of him and begins to take in his features, quite literally as her eyes roam around his face, body, and clothing. She can tell from his posture and widened eyes that he feels uncomfortable, especially when looks away. She knows she’s not being subtle with her staring and neither does she care. What’s he gonna do about it anyways? If he feels just as uncomfortable as she thinks he does, will he tell her to stop or just stay silent? She really wanted to know the answer.

Before she knew it she got her answer. He looked back at her and began to take in her features as well. Ahreum was pleasantly surprised to say the least. So he doesn’t get intimidated easily? Interesting... Although I wouldn’t consider myself intimidating per say… whatever. I got my answer. She lets him continue to observe her as well, as he stared straight into her eyes for a long while before turning to the cell across from them.

The immediate thing Ahreum noticed at that moment was again, his posture, he stayed stiff as if not wanting to let his guard down. Yet when he turned back to look at her his eyes seemed more relaxed.

Noting everything she has observed so far, she quickly crouched down in front of him, before introducing herself.

 

“ I’m Ahreum. And you’re gonna listen to me.”

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Finally was able to update, I just started university and yea... it's different, and hard. I also never realized how fast time seriously goes by. :C  At least it's nearing holidays lol 

And yes! Finally we get Ahreums pov! It's probably going to alternate every now and then but it most likely won't repeat the same happenings as it did in this chapter, i just wanted to introduce her thoughts about Jongin.