Prologue

Escape

“...There has been an influx of the abnormal people all over the world. In recent reports it has been said that they are becoming more hostile and violent. Just yesterday there were 2 reported deaths and a witness that said it was caused by ground-crushing earth elements pointing for the obvious offenders to be the abnormal people.”

 

A sigh left Jongin’s lips as he leaned back on the couch mindlessly watching the evening news. The only thing on his mind was irritation about the fact that this kind of news coverage appeared every single day.

 

“We suggest civilians take precaution and be aware of those you are friendly with because it isn’t as easy to point them out as it used to be. If you know of any abnormal people that may cause harm, please call the number on the screen and help your community for the better. The governmental facilities are taking it upon themselves to research and discover the reason behind these abnormalities, and hopefully find a cure to those who suffer from it, because as we all know, no one would ever want to live and suffer like that. Now back to you Jaesuk for the weekly notice-”

 

The young boy moved from his spot on the couch. Checking to see if he might have accidently sat on the control making the TV turn off, when the lights above him. He squinted his eyes at the sudden brightness in the dark living room before turning around to see his uncle holding a plastic bag, which he assumed was dinner, walking towards the kitchen behind him.

 

“Why do you always watch the stupid news. They never bring anything good, always talking about the bad stuff.”

 

Jongin didn’t know how nor wanted to respond to his uncle as he also didn’t know why he always watched such depressing news.

Or maybe he does know why, but didn’t want to admit it.

 

“I don’t know, maybe because it gets boring to do nothing every single day.” Jongin said making his way over to his uncle in the kitchen. The older man let out an airy chuckle while serving the take-out, “I thought you liked this vacation from school? It’s not as fun as you thought it would be huh?”

 

The only reply Jongin had was a roll of the eyes. Yes this sudden governmental ‘vacation’ that was supposed to last only throughout the month of December but has lasted 3 months further.

 

Jongin was excited when the news first broke out but as the weeks went by he missed going to school and meeting his friends (downside of living in a more secluded area). He, along with everyone else in his year, even missed graduation because of this so called ‘vacation’. No one even knew what it was about, the supposed mutants didn’t seem that dangerous to stop a small town for almost half a year. The fear only accumulated after the curfew was placed not allowing anybody to roam the streets after 9:30 p.m.  Of course Jongin didn’t really care about this rule since he was always fast to get home.

The sounds of utensils clanking on the plates resonated throughout the small house as Jongin and his uncle ate quietly in the kitchen, occasionally bringing up small talk about the weather.

 

He wouldn’t say they were distant but he also wouldn’t say that they were close. He and his uncle were just awkward together but deep down he knew his uncle cared for him. His uncle took him in when he was only 12, after his mother passed away because she was ill.

Whenever Jongin used to ask him why he took him in, the reply would be the same, ‘because you remind me of my little sister, and I know she’d want you to grow up with family.’

 

--------------------

 

After dinner Jongin found himself at the top of a hill looking down to see the small lights over the big city. He came here on a daily basis even though it was already past curfew and could risk getting into trouble. He always came to fantasize about his future and just look at the lights, they kept him company and he believed they held something more within.

 

It was the same reason why he watched the news every night. Because he wanted to know he wasn’t alone, that there were others out there that have the same abilities as him. Even if it wasn’t the best way to learn of them, it still eased the boy.

He knew he could never really do anything later in life because of what was wrong with him, it was just a matter of time before someone found out, but he put that thought aside for now, it’s not like anybody other than himself knows.

 

“One day, I’m gonna leave this place and I’m gonna...” he let out a small sigh and closed his eyes taking in the strong winds, “ I’m gonna be free.”


Free from the prying eyes of society. He knew he was somewhat overreacting since he’s still living a peaceful life unlike others that were either taken, killed, feared, and alienated. But still, no matter how long his uncle or normal friends stood by his side, he felt lonely. Everybody else may have not know about his ability but he did, and he felt alone because of it.   

 

His lips tugged upwards forming a sad smile before he disappeared into the night soundlessly, leaving behind only black mist. He reappeared crouched down only a few meters away from his house quickly sprinting back before anybody saw him.

 

Little did he know he was being watched the whole time.

 

______________________________________

A/N: Okay so bare with me lol I know it seems slow but hopefully it'll get better :)

*image not mine