零 - Prologue

Room 314

This is a short prologue/foreword. sorry it took a while, i have finals this week but chapters after this should be longer and come out faster! thanks to my subscribers! im so nervous and i hope you enjoy this story. all my knowledge of korea that i use in this story is gotten from a  friend who was born and raised in korea so if anything is inaccurate take it out on her not me ! the rating of this story might change to M in the future. just a brief warning.


Kyungsoo’s face is slightly flushed from the heat of the room as her hands grasp the side of her red cup. The boy next to her is trying to make conversation but she effectively ignores him by taking sips of her water instead of saying anything back to him. She’s considering walking out of the party and going home when a familiar voice alerts her attention.

“Have you seen Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo turns around to see her best friend, Kim Taeyeon, standing next to her. Taeyeon is smiling widely, her usually expressionless eyes bright and hopeful, and Kyungsoo can instantly tell that she must have just heard some good news.

“No, why?” Kyungsoo asks, doing her best to sound interested. She’s been standing awkwardly at the food station the entire night in order to have a reason to ignore the people that attempt to talk to her by pretending to eat or drink something. She has no idea why she allowed Taeyeon to do her makeup and drag her to this party, which is being thrown by Taeyeon’s boyfriend, but she’s willing to bet it’s got something to do with how she can’t say no to Taeyeon’s puppy dog eyes.

“A little birdie told me he’s going to do his promposal now,” Taeyeon says, and Kyungsoo can practically see the stars in her eyes. Taeyeon has dated a fair number of guys in the past but she’s definitely never liked one of them the way she likes Baekhyun. Kyungsoo isn’t exactly fond of Baekhyun, finding the boy loud and obnoxious at times, but she’s willing to put up with him if it’s for the sake of Taeyeon’s happiness.

Kyungsoo responds by giving her a small thumbs up and Taeyeon’s calm mask finally cracks. The older girl grins wildly as she grabs Kyungsoo’s arms, jumping up and down with excitement. Kyungsoo’s face flushes brighter as she notices the amount of people staring at the two of them. She attempts to pull away but Taeyeon’s grasp is rock solid.

“I’m so happy!” Taeyeon squeals. Kyungsoo sighs with relief as Taeyeon finally lets go of her hands. “He’s so perfect. I don’t know how I got a guy like him.”

“Being as pretty as you are might be one of the reasons,” Kyungsoo responds, and Taeyeon giggles loudly.

“I’m going back to find him, text me if you see anything.” With those final words, Taeyeon walks away, leaving Kyungsoo alone of more.

Kyungsoo lets out a small sigh once Taeyeon is gone. They’ve been at the party for less than an hour, but she’s more than ready to leave. Even though she feels underdressed in the tiny skirt and tank top Taeyeon had forced on her, the house is hot and it feels like she’s about to sweat off the multiple layers of eyeliner on her eyelids. A couple of boys have come to try to flirt with her but they all leave shortly after realizing she isn’t interested. She can’t help but mourn for the time she could be spending studying or cooking, instead of being alone at a party she didn’t want to come to in the first place.

She’s considering giving into temptation and calling her older sister to pick her up, even though she knows Taeyeon will be pissed later when she finally spots Baekhyun. 

He’s in the middle of a large crowd of people that are dancing wildly. Kyungsoo’s chest tightens when she sees he has his hands on some girl’s waist and is grinding against her. Her love for Taeyeon causes her to go against all her better judgment, and Kyungsoo leaves her safe corner to go straight into the circle, jostling past people until she reaches Baekhyun. 

“Oppa,” Kyungsoo calls out once he’s close enough to hear her. She grabs into Baekhyun's hand lightly and he turns to stare at her. She isn't sure what exactly she's expecting from him, but it certainly isn't the wide smile she gets. She instinctively lets go of his hand, uncomfortable.

“Soo?” Baekhyun’s voice is barely audible over the loud thumping of the music but Kyungsoo can spot the obvious slur in his voice. Her stomach recoils in disgust and it takes every fiber of her being to stay. “What do you want?”

“Taeyeon is looking for you.” Kyungsoo frowns. She reaches out to grab his hand once more, pulling him along as she pushed her way out of the circle. 

Baekhyun is groaning, nearly tripping over his own feet in his drunkness and she realizes that she can’t leave him like this. Kyungsoo sighs as she sends a quick text to Taeyeon, telling the older girl to meet her in Baekhyun’s room. She quickly moves to work, draping Baekhyun’s arm over her shoulder so she can carry him more effectively. Caring for drunk people is nearly second nature to her due to how many times her older sister, Minseok, had come home drunk during her first year of college. 

It takes a few minutes for Kyungsoo to reach Baekhyun’s room due to him stumbling drunkenly around. She pushes open the door, swiftly kicking out the couple that is kissing on Baekhyun’s bed, before dragging him to his bed where she forces him to lie down.

She spots a bottle of water on his desk and leaves him lying on the bed to pick it up. She unscrews the top and brings the water to Baekhyun’s lips, encouraging to take small sips.

"Ndggh,” Baekhyun groans, pushing the bottle away in a sudden action that shocks Kyungsoo into spilling the water on the bed.

Kyungsoo curses softly. She’s standing up to find a towel to use to dry the bed when Baekhyun’s hand suddenly clamps over her wrist and pulls her down onto the bed. Before she can make a sound, he's on top of her, pinning her wrists to the bed.

"I see you staring at me," Baekhyun says, his words are so slurred that Kyungsoo has to strain her ears to make out what they mean. He bends down, whispering into her ear. "I know you want me."

"Let me go," Kyungsoo has to remind herself to keep calm instead and screaming and pushing him off like she would like to. She tries to pull herself free from his grasp but it's to no avail. He's stronger than she is and determined not to let go.

"You don't have to act like you don't want this," Baekhyun moves closer to her and Kyungsoo has the certain urge to throw up. "I'll tell you a secret. I've always thought you were so hot. I only talked to Taeyeon to get to you."

Kyungsoo doesn't have any time to process what's happening before Baekhyun's lips are shoved against hers. His hands move from her wrist to rest on top her s and Kyungsoo is too stunned to even react. She just stares wide-eyed with shock as Baekhyun forces his tongue into . She's never been so terrified in her life and the worst part is that she can't even find her voice to scream or the strength to push him away. She's sure she's about to throw up when she hears the devastatingly familiar voice.

"What is this?"

It's Taeyeon. She's standing at the edge of the door, her eyes wide. Baekhyun pauses at the sight of her and Kyungsoo used the opportunity to regain control of her senses and strongly shoves him off the bed.

Kyungsoo scrambles off the bed, heading towards Taeyeon. "That wasn't what it looked like. I-"

"Shut up." the harshness of Taeyeon's voice causes Kyungsoo to pause. She's never heard her friend sound so angry. "Save it for someone who cares."

"Taeyeon-"

"I said shut up!" Taeyeon yells, her face scrunching up. The way she's looking at Kyungsoo makes the younger girl's heart clench. It's the same way she would stare at a cockroach in her food. "I can't believe you Do Kyungsoo. You were supposed to be my friend."

"I am your friend. Please listen to me. I-"

"Save it for someone who cares." Taeyeon's voice is a plain monotone. "I'm done with you."

Kyungsoo doesn't have any time to say anything more before Taeyeon spins on her heel and walks out of the room, slamming the door in her face. Kyungsoo stares at the door, longing to go after her but knowing that the best thing to do would be to give Taeyeon time to get over her anger. She sighs as she stares at the ground to see that Baekhyun has fallen asleep.

Trying her hardest to not cry, Kyungsoo calls her brother.


Chanyeol shows up to pick her twenty minutes later.

Kyungsoo has been waiting outside for most of the time, not wanting to go back into the house despite the cold she faces outside. She had forgotten to bring a jacket while being rushed by Taeyeon into the party and she decides it's divine karma come to bite her back.

Chanyeol parks the car directly in front of her, winding down the window and poking his head out.

"Are you crazy?" Chanyeol yells through the open window. "It's ten degrees out there, what are you wearing?"

Kyungsoo doesn't take the time to respond. Instead, she opens the door to the front seat, crawling in next to Chanyeol and slamming the door shut behind her. She pulls her legs to her chest, wrapping her arms around her knees in the familiar comfortable position that she's always used whenever she's upset since she was a kid.

The action grabs Chanyeol's attention as he glances at her, voice uncharacteristically soft as he asks. ''You okay?"

"I'm fine." It's an obvious lie but Chanyeol accepts it anyways.

"Do you want ice-cream? We can go to the Ahjumma across the street. I know that's your favorite type of ice-cream."

For a second Kyungsoo can only gape at her older brother. It's common knowledge that he's socially inept, but she didn't expect it to be that bad that he would only be able to offer his own sister ice-cream when she's upset. It isn't till her stomach lets out a small growl Kyungsoo gets the sudden realization that indeed she does want ice-cream. She nods slowly and Chanyeol gives her a small smile in return, reaching out to ruffle her hair.

"That's my baby sister," he says fondly, adding as an afterthought. "Luhan-hyung and Minseok-noona are currently on a date but noona says she should be back by the time we get back from ramyun and ice-cream."

"I don't want ramyun," Kyungsoo protests, shaking her head so her dark locks fan over her pale cheeks. "I want to eat kalbi,"

"Aish, you little brat," Chanyeol grumbles, rolling his eyes at Kyungsoo. "I offer to take you out for ramyun and instead of being thankful you complain that you want kalbi. Do I look like I'm made of money?"

"Honestly? No."

 Chanyeol mimes raising his hand and Kyungsoo ducks her head quickly. "Don't you have any respect for your older brother? I'm taking back my offer."

Kyungsoo pauses, looking up at him with teary eyes. She's done this so many times that it's second nature to her at this point. She bats her eyelashes, sticking out her bottom lip and allowing it quiver like she's about to cry at any moment. "Do you really mean that oppa?"

Chanyeol pales, and Kyungsoo has to force herself to keep a straight face. The first and most useful thing her older sister ever taught her was how to manipulate men and after sixteen years, Kyungsoo's pretty good at it. She can get Chanyeol to do practically anything with a blink of a puppy dog eye.

"We're going to get kalbi!' Chanyeol announces, pushing the car key into the igniter and starting the car. 

In her seat, Kyungsoo instantly perks up. There's a slight feeling of guilt in her chest because she knows that they really can't afford to eat out more than once a month but after her terrible night, she decides she deserves a treat. After their parents died, their family consisted of only her, Chanyeol and Minseok. Minseok was only seventeen at the time but due to them not having any other family members to take them in, she was given custody of a ten-year-old Kyungsoo and a thirteen-year-old Chanyeol. It was extremely difficult at first because the money left in their parents' will could only last so long and Minseok could only have one part time job due to her still being a high school student but then she started dating Luhan, her rich Chinese boyfriend who insisted on showering her with stuff despite her protests. 

"Can we get some for oppa and unnie too?" Kyungsoo asks, scooting up the seat and propping her feet against glove compartment. Her shoes are slightly muddy from walking on Baekhyun's lawn and she knows Chanyeol is going to throw a fit when he notices the dirt marks, but she can't bring herself to be bothered at the moment.

"They're at a five-star restaurant right now, they won't be hungry by the time we get back." 

"But still," Kyungsoo pouts. "I want to eat together as a family."

"Sheesh," Chanyeol rolls eyes. "Fine but you can't say that I've never done anything for you."

Kyungsoo smiles, throwing her arms around Chanyeol's neck. He sputters in surprise for a second then sighs, removing a hand from the steering wheel to her hair softly.

"Thank you," Kyungsoo says. She isn't sure why but she feels like crying. Chanyeol flicks the radio on and a depressing Japanese melody starts to playing. "I appreciate this."

Chanyeol blinks, looking visibly surprised. Kyungsoo lets her hands fall back to her sides as she rests her head against Chanyeol's shoulder. Her black hair fans around his shoulder and she hums softly to the song, quickly picking up its tune.

They arrive at the kalbi place much too quickly in Kyungsoo's opinion. She decides to wait in the car as Chanyeol goes in to buy the kalbi. It isn't until the scent of freshly made kalbi strikes her that she realizes just how hungry she is. She hasn't eaten a bite all evening, too busy complying with Taeyeon's demands to dress up and attend the party. As her mind moves over to think of Taeyeon, she suddenly remembers what took place an hour ago. She gets her phone, checking it and sighing in disappointment when she sees there are no texts or calls from Taeyeon.

Chanyeol comes back ten minutes later carrying a box of kalbi. It takes all her effort to resist taking the bag from him and burying her face into it right there and then. The house is only a five-minute drive from the kalbi place, but it feels like an eternity to Kyungsoo as she struggles to not pass out from food deprivation. The moment Chanyeol stops the car, Kyungsoo picks up the kalbi before he can say anything and runs into the house with a speed that would impress her gym coach.

That turns out to be a mistake.

Luhan and Minseok are making out on the living room couch. Kyungsoo watches in horror as her older sister and Luhan finally realize that someone else is in the room and stop kissing, both their lips red and kiss swollen. Kyungsoo isn't naive, no matter what Chanyeol would like to believe. She knows that Luhan and Minseok have an active life. She just never processed that they would have in her home.

"Hey Soo," Minseok says, her cheeks red as she untangles herself from Luhan and tugging at her shirt in an attempt to look more appropriate. It doesn't work. "I didn't know you would be back so early. How was the party?"

That's when Kyungsoo finally breaks down.

"Unnie!" Kyungsoo cries, running to Minseok and burying her face in her sister's chest. Minseok quickly wraps her arms around the crying girl, rubbing calming circles unto her back. The action only serves to make Kyungsoo cry harder. Out of the corner of her ear, she can hear Luhan say something to Minseok in rushed chinese but she pays no attention to it.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo hears the worry Minseok's tone. Even before their parents passed away, Minseok has always been looking after Kyungsoo. The seven year between the two of them led to them not getting into fights when they were younger and Minseok was always mature for her age, but they were close enough in age to grow up being close. Kyungsoo adores her older sister more than anyone else, and she does her best to not be a total brat around her but it's hard to keep up a mature front when Minseok knows her so well.

"Taeyeon hates me," Kyungsoo sobs into Minseok's shirt. She's briefly aware that she's getting snot and tears all over Minseok's obviously new shirt but she can't bring herself to stop crying. All the emotion she's been keeping bottled up during the night suddenly wells up and makes it's appearance. "She's never going to talk to me again because Baekyun-"

Kyungsoo is unable to finish the sentence as she starts crying too hard to form words. She can hear Chanyeol asking something that sounded suspiciously like 'what did Baekhyun do?' but he doesn't get a response from her.

"Listen," Minseok's voice is soft but firm. "Taeyeon doesn't hate you and if she does then it doesn't matter. You don't need her. You're a smart, beautiful and independent young lady and you don't need anyone that treats you badly."

"But she's my only friend." Kyungsoo pauses long enough to reply. "What do I do without her?"

"I never liked her to be honest," Chanyeol interjects his opinion. "She always seemed kind of stuck up."

"Not helping Chanyeol,"

"Sorry."

"As Chanyeol said albeit badly, Taeyeon isn't worth your tears if she intentionally made you upset. Cheer up little sister, I hate seeing you so sad." Minseok smiles, wiping away the tears on Kyungsoo's face.

Kyungsoo manages to give a small smile in return that seems to make Minseok relax. The older girl lets go of Kyungsoo, giving her one last brief hug.

There's an awkward silence in the room as the two of them try to think of what to say next. Kyungsoo is about to give up when Luhan speaks up, his voice excited. "Is that kalbi?"

"What?" Minseok sounds like she's in disbelief. She gives Chanyeol an accusing stare. It's unbelievable how scary Minseok can look despite her baby face and chubby hamster cheeks. "You bought kalbi without asking me? Do you know how expensive that is?"

"Kyungsoo asked me to," Chanyeol replies instantly, throwing his hands in the air as if to affirm his innocence. "She wanted us to eat together as a family."

Luhan wraps his arms around Minseok's waist and places a playful kiss on her cheek. "Calm down baozi, why don't we just enjoy the kalbi?"

Kyungsoo watches as all Minseok's fury seems to evaporate out of her and she turns and gets on the tip of her toes to press a brief kiss on Luhan's lips. Kyungsoo doesn't think that she'd ever date a boy herself but she can't deny that she's envious of her sister's relationship. It's obvious Luhan is deeply in love with Minseok and it shows every time he's around her. And Minseok obviously reciprocates those feelings. Luhan is the one person outside their family that Minseok has ever shown concern for. Kyungsoo genuinely likes Luhan. He's funny and much nicer than any of Minseok's previous boyfriends. Most importantly, he makes her older sister extremely happy. Kyungsoo just doesn't like feeling like he's stealing Minseok away from them.

"Fine," Minseok sighs, but there's a smile on her face. "We're eating on the dining table, though. Make a mess and I'll make sure there's never any meat in this household again."

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo nod simultaneously and Minseok looks satisfied. She heads into the kitchen, most likely to get plates and cutlery for them to eat with and Luhan trails after her.

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol says once the two of them are out of earshot. "Did Baekhyun do anything to you? Do you want me to talk to him?"

Kyungsoo bites her lips, she doesn't want to lie to Chanyeol but she knows that if she admits the truth, his 'talking' to Baekhyun would turn into him beating the elder boy to a pulp. She has no desire to protect Baekhyun, not after what he did to her, but she doesn't want to be the cause of him being beaten bloody. More importantly, she doesn't want Chanyeol to get in trouble for sticking up for her,

"It's fine," Kyungsoo eventually says. "He didn't do anything to me. I just overreacted."

Chanyeol looks like he's about to say something but he's interrupted when Minseok sticks her head into the living room and announces, "We set up the dining table so you can come eat now."

Nodding, Chanyeol drapes his arm over Kyungsoo's delicate shoulders and pulls her close. "Let's go dongsaeng."

Kyungsoo smiles.


give me love i stayed up to 12 writing this instead of studying for finals ^-^ this is my first kpop fanfic so im nervous sorry if its bad it'll get better.

Kai and Sehun are going to be in the next chapter dont worry fam its about to be lit