2

Santa Clause

"Prove what? That you'll just end up crying by the time the day is over?" Jonghyun resisted the urge to snort again.

Taemin scoffed and rolled his eyes, placing his hands on his hips. Key was starting to rub off on him and that was most certainly not a good thing. Slowly, ever so slowly, Taemin walked over to Jonghyun and sat himself on his lap. Taemin brushed his lips against Jonghyun's cheek and whispered, "Didn't you hear me? I'm going to prove that Santa is real," Taemin smiled, "You'll be the one crying sooner or later." Jonghyun gulped, pushing gently on Taemin's shoulder.

"Y-Yah, get off. If someone sees.." Jonghyun trailed off with a shudder. Nobody knew about their innocent little relationship, not even the all-knowing Key. Then again it was possible Key did know but just wasn't saying anything. That thought made Jonghyun want Taemin to get off even more.

Taemin pouted and slid off of Jonghyun's lap, his bottom hitting the floor with a dull thud. A whine escaped Taemin's mouth as he rubbed his behind. Jonghyun chuckled and ruffled Taemin's hair. "You didn't have to do that, stupid." Taemin smiled up at his hyung and suddenly grabbed his hand.

"We're going to the mall!" Taemin exclaimed.


Jonghyun lowered his sunglasses a bit so they lay on the bridge of his nose. "Exactly why did you bring me here?" he asked.

Taemin simply smiled and continued to lead Jonghyun through the large mall. It took a few minutes for a large line of people to come into Jonghyun's view. And then it all clicked.

"Did you want to show me Santa?" Jonghyun asked again. Taemin nodded and pointed over at a large man sitting on a throne of some sort that had been decorated with candy canes and fake holly and bells. A man and a woman ran around, both dressed in ridiculous shorts and striped red and green stockings. 

"Y'see? Santa IS real!" Taemin said proudly, puffing up his chest a bit.

"Taemin, there is another Santa in the next mall three blocks over that looks totally different than this one." Jonghyun pointed out.

"Did you have to remember that?!" Taemin whacked Jonghyun's head a bit hard. I just have to be shorter than him, don't I? Jonghyun thought, a frown forming on his face.


"Okay, now what are we doing?" Jonghyun asked as the two walked down a busy street.

"Going to the zoo." was all Taemin said as he pulled Jonghyun along.

"The zoo?! The closest one is an hour away by train!" Jonghyun complained, trying to yank his arm out of Taemin's strong grip.

Taemin shrugged and lead Jonghyun all the way to the train station, then on a train, then all the way to a zoo in the middle of nowhere. Well, not really the middle of nowhere, just a less populated place than where they lived. Taemin started to run off excitedly and Jonghyun had to chase after him. He couldn't yell for Taemin to stop because then people would stop and look and then people would realize who they were. But then again, Jonghyun wasn't always the most positive thinker.

Taemin stopped running and paused in front of an enclosure. He peered through the window and began to wave at something. Jonghyun soon realized that there were reindeer in the enclosure. Real, live reindeer. Suddenly Jonghyun was starting to doubt himself when he remembered that reindeer were actual animals. They were raised somewhere in the north, probably in Europe or something, and that the zoo probably wanted to borrow a few.

"Hyung, do you believe me now?" Taemin whispered. He pressed his nose up against the glass and stared right into the face of a reindeer.

"No, not really." Jonghyun answerd, bending down next to Taemin. He pressed a hand up against the class and continued on, "Reindeer are raised somewhere in Europe, I think. The zoo just probably borrowed a few."

Taemin sighed, a frown taking over the smile he just had. He mumbled something under his breath that sounded a bit like, "I can't doubt it.." and now Jonghyun was starting to feel guilty. He was ruining Taemin's Christmas all because he was stubborn. Well, not anymore.

"Taeminnie," Jonghyun said quietly. "Taeminnie, look at me."

Taemin continued to stare at the reindeer. Jonghyun tugged on Taemin's sleeve a bit but when that didn't work, he placed a finger under Taemin's chin and forced him to turn his head. Taemin stared straight into Jonghyun's eyes.

"I'm just a stubborn old ajusshi. Don't listen to me, alright? Santa is real." Jonghyun said, smiling softly.

"But hyung.. Those were the only two things I could think of to prove he's real. What if he isn't?" Taemin's voice never rose above a whisper. His wide, childish eyes seemed to be digging into Jonghyun's soul.

Jonghyun shrugged and slowly stood up, motioning for Taemin to do the same. When he did Jonghyun grabbed Taemin's hand and squeezed it tightly. "We paid for the tickets so let's just enjoy the rest of the zoo, yeah?"

Taemin nodded in agreement and they began to walk wherever they pleased.


The sun had already set and the two were just leaving the park. For some unknown reason, Jonghyun had begged to walk back to the dorm instead of riding the train. Why? Jonghyun really had no clue. Maybe it was because along the way there was one area where nobody really ever walked. In that area was a beautiful garden, and at night it was even more beautiful.

"Let's take a break!" Taemin whined, clinging onto Jonghyun's arm. "My feet hurt~~"

Jonghyun chuckled at Taemin's child-like behavior and began leading him to the garden. When they sat down, Jonghyun instantly took off his sunglasses and began to stare at Taemin. Taemin blinked, staring back. A nervous laugh echoed around the empty garden. "H-Hyung, what's with that look?"

"You're sad." was all Jonghyun said.

Taemin blinked again. "Well, of course I am. Today, on Christmas Eve, I learned Santa isn't real."

Jonghyun shook his head and spoke through gritted teeth, "Yes, he is, Taemin."

"But you said so yourself that he isn't! And you proved everything I showed you wrong! I could only show you two things!" Taemin's voice went higher and higher until he was yelling. Jonghyun clicked his tounge and pulled Taemin into a tight hug. "You're over-reacting." Jonghyun mumbled.

They stayed in that position for a while. Jonghyun had no clue how long, actually, he lost count after the first minute. Taemin had started to cry silently, just like he always does, and refused to look at his hyung. So they didn't move. Suddenly Taemin's head peeked up from it's place on Jonghyun's chest. His eyes widened and he began to stammer.

"H-Hyung! I... I-I... Look!"

Jonghyun turned slightly and then looked up into the sky. There was a bright red light zooming across the pitch black sky.

"I-It's Rudolph!" Taemin gasped.

Jonghyun nodded and ruffled Taemin's hair. "I told you~ Santa's real~" And Jonghyun really did believe in Santa now... Sort of.

Everybody knows that those bright red lights are actually planes. Just don't tell Taemin~


A/N:  wtf kind of ending is this i cant even. it started out good, then i lost everything for this chapter and had to rewrite it again. stupid backspace button asdfghjkl. apologies for butchering the ending but. uhm. happy holidays? /hides in corner