Writer's Block

Lemons and Honey

“You’re always so cold, Dongwoon.” I ignored the voice behind me as I concentrated on the paper in front of me. I was trying to come up with lyrics for a new song. It wasn’t as easy as some might think. I’d been trying to write it for days to no avail. The girl behind me let out an annoying whine but I ignored her. I wasn’t interested in listening to her whine. I wanted to finish this. Words seemed to fail me as I stared at the paper. I could not find something to inspire me to write a good song. Not to mention that I didn’t want a good song; I wanted a great song. I wanted to blow everyone away with a song that I wrote all by myself. Oh why did this have to be so hard?

“I think you need to take a break. It looks like you’re head is about to burst.” I looked up to see my friend Kikwang standing in front of me. He looked at my blank paper for a moment before he looked up at me. “You need to stop worrying about the song. It’s not going to suddenly come to you if you keep trying to burn a hole in the paper.” I sighed lightly knowing that he was right. He was usually right but that didn’t mean I had to like it. I really wanted to write this song but maybe it was time to take a break. We did have a few days of vacation coming up so I could use those to rest up.

“I guess you’re right. I’ll use these vacation days to actually take a vacation but when we come back we have to get back to the song. We need more material to go on.” My friends and I had formed a band of sorts. We all liked to sing and dance so we would get together and do it for people who liked to watch. We weren’t famous yet and I really wanted that to happen. If only I could get that darn song done!

“I’ll make sure to come check on you to make sure you’re not stressing.” I smiled lightly as he seemed to read my mind.

“Thank you.”

“No problem.”

--------------

“Dongwoon could you run to the store for me?” I looked up from my homework to see my mother standing in my bedroom door way.

“Sure, I was just trying to get a little homework done. Kikwang demanded that I actually do some relaxing during break.” My mother smiled fondly when I mentioned Kikwang.

“Well you should have him over some time. It’s always nice to see your friends. It will only take you a few minutes to run to the store. I just need a few things.” I stood up and followed her out towards the entry way. As she grabbed the list I slipped my shoes on and grabbed a jacket. “I expect to see the receipt afterwards so I know you bought the right things.” I rolled my eyes before I took the list from her and gently kissed her cheek.

“I’ll be back soon. Don’t worry about it. I’ve been shopping with you before so I know what to get.” I hurried out the door before she could protest. She was rather particular about the brands she bought. It was lucky for me that I knew which ones she liked. I jogged a few blocks to the store and smiled at the scent of fresh bread wafting down from the bakery. I glanced at the list to see what I needed to get only to see that milk was the only thing listed. I really didn’t understand why she would send me down here just for milk when it was getting late. I shook my head and walked back to get the milk. My mother was a strange woman but I loved her anyway. I paused when I noticed a guy trying in vain to get something on a higher shelf. I bit my lip and resisted the urge to chuckle. I walked up behind him and silently grabbed the item from the top shelf. The bottle was cold on my hand which wasn’t surprising since I was pulling it out of a freezer. “Here you go.” I said giving the boy a smile. I turned around to get a good look at the person I was helping. He was slightly smaller than me which would explain why it was harder for him to reach the top shelf. His dark hair hid most of his face at the moment since he wasn’t looking at me.

“I could have gotten it myself.” He said and I frowned. That was not a polite reply to someone helping you.

“Fine then I’ll put it back.” I said and slid the bottle back onto the top shelf. He gave me a weird look before he looked at the shelf. He stood on his toes and strained to reach it. He tried for a few minutes before he hung his head in defeat. He slowly turned to look at me.

 “Would you please help me get that bottle?” He asked me sounding as if he was speaking through gritted teeth. I smiled lightly before I reached up and pulled it out before I handed it to him. “Thank you.” He said.

“You are welcome.” I said before I turned and walked down the aisle to get the milk. I heard a sound of surprise behind me but I ignored it. I was looking over the milk brands when I caught sight of the boy standing beside me. “What?” I asked him.

“Is that it?” He asked sounding confused.

“Yes it is. What did you expect?” I asked as I pulled a jug out.

“Well I expected you to ask for something in return.” He replied simply. I snorted at but didn’t pause in my inspecting of the jug. I wanted to make sure there was no scratch or dent that would displease my mother. I didn’t want to take a chance and have her complain about it.

“Well I didn’t.” I said before I headed back down the aisle. The boy followed after me and I could tell he was still confused.  Was it hard for him to believe that a person could just do something nice for another person?

“Do you want something in return?” He asked me.

“No.” Was my reply and this caused him to sigh heavily.

“I’d feel bad if I didn’t return the favor. I’ll make it up to you. Come have coffee with me tomorrow. There’s a little coffee shop a few buildings away so be there at 2:00.” I turned to say something but he was already gone. What a weird kid. I guess I couldn’t really argue if he insisted on buying me coffee. I wasn’t really interested in getting something in return but I shouldn’t insult him by saying no. I guess I won’t be bored on me break. It might not seem as long as I thought.