Begged

Ugly
Please log in to read the full chapter

          I glanced at my reflection in the mirror, unable to believe that it was me whom I was peering at. I looked so different I almost felt…pretty.

          My brother’s girlfriend, Nara, came specially to doll me up for the Winter's Ball (“I’m going to transform you into someone that jerk is going to regret bullying!” She said with much enthusiasm).

          I sighed deeply. I fought between telling Mingyu about what happened the previous day and keeping mum about it – I chose the latter. He did not need to know, yet. 

          I swallowed my saliva when I glanced at my reflection in the full-length mirror. My black framed glasses were replaced by hazel contact lenses and it perfectly accentuates the light in my eyes. I have never thought my eyes were noticeably round until my glasses left my face. My eyebrows were nicely trimmed and defined, of which I recalled how painful having them plucked by Nara was.

          My eyes were slabbed on with a tope eyeshadow and a simple eyeliner as Nara preferred me to look natural. With the help of some contouring on my nose and cheekbones, my face appeared smaller and more defined. I touched my now silky hair which took an hour to be straightened by Nara, satisfied with the soft curls at the bottom.

          A peach pink dress hugged my body with flutters of lace and diamantes decorating the bustier, the hem of its mermaid design dyed ombre white cascaded to my toes. The dress was the epitome of elegance, so stunning I loved it the moment Nara brought it out to show me.

          The girl in the mirror still visibly looked like me, but more presentable. And I was stunned by the brilliance of how Nara dolled me. I felt a surge of confidence in me as I continue to scrutinize myself in the mirror. Yet, there was something at the back of my mind that cuts right through my reverie. 

          Glancing at the clock, I found myself frowning upon it. It was already eight fifty-five. There was five more minutes before the Winter Ball officially starts.

          “Silly, why will I let you go to the Winter's Ball alone? As your date, I have the responsibility to pick you up. I'll see you at half past eight,” Jongin insisted, my hair with a grin.

          That was what he said, was it not?

          I certainly did not recall otherwise. It was almost impossible to reach there on time considering that the drive there would take at least twenty minutes. I felt waves of anxiousness in me as I pondered upon vast possibilities.

          “He must have been caught in a traffic jam,” I muttered under my breath, convincing myself by searching for plausible reasons. “He wouldn’t be in an accident, would he?”

          So, I waited.

          I waited till it was eight fifty-nine and he still did not show up. I held onto the last fiber of hope that Jongin will eventually turn up despite my mind knowing better. He said he loves you, remember? I reminded myself in attempt to pace my pounding heart.

          When the clock finally strikes nine after the excruciating painful minute of waiting, the doorbell rang. In my utmost happiness, I ran to the door in my dress. “Jongin! What happened—“

          “Haera,” Sehun uttered softly, appearing at my doorstep instead. My shoulders slump in disappointment and disbelief when I saw the individual I was not expecting. An uncomfortable ache formed in my heart, and my stomach gyrated with discomfort from the denial I was in. As he scrutinized my features, I allowed myself to register what I already know, but chose to deny. “You’re beautiful.”

          Shaking my head weakly, I chose to ignore his compliment. “W-Where is Jongin?” I stuttered. Albeit having the answer in my mind, I chose to give Jongin a benefit of doubt and grasp onto the hope that it was not what I think it was.

          Foolishly, I was that in love.

          “Do you not know?” Sehun asked rhetorically, watching my eyebrows furrow in perplex which made him frown. He sighed, rubbing his temple. “He went to fetch his date, Naeun.”

          “What?”

          A surge of mixed feelings rushed through my insides unpleasantly. There was an urge to throw up at the feeling of having someone play with my mind and heart. At that moment, I detested myself so much for allowing Jongin to trample on my heart and break my trust countless of times. Furtheremore, he was supposed to be my best friend. The betrayal laced my tongue bitterly. I stood there dumbfounded, numb. 

          Upon witnessing my devastation, Sehun pulled me into his embrace which I complied and willingly seek for warmth from his body. Peeling myself away from his tender embrace, I scrutinized the man before me.

          With his hair combed back, there was no deny that he appeared exceptionally dashing. His tuxedo glorified his demeanor into a protective gentleman which will certainly let any girl's heart race. Indeed, I gained a sense of security with him. Nonetheless, my heart yearns for the mischief I get from Jongin with his smirk and playful glimpse in his orbs.

Please log in to read the full chapter