Final - Jaehwan's POV

The Story of the Tangled String

Dear my readers, if you notice actually I add angst tag for this fic. Please don’t hate me, but I want to warn you all that this fic is angst! Lol

I don’t even know how this fic turned into a full angst ;p

Btw, enjoooyyyy~

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

That was our first official meeting. No?

As far as I remember, that was the first time we clearly looked at each other and maybe noticing each other’s existence. Well, at least for you because I had known about you long enough.

Don’t ask how. Who didn’t know Jung Taekwoon anyway? The infamous soccer captain, the hero of our school’s soccer club, the handsome and kinda mysterious third year student, and the teacher’s favorite?

And the most important thing, how could I don’t know about my brother’s crush? Or should I say boyfriend?

That was the same day as the day we bumped into each other that my brother came home all smiling and happy like a girl just got a new dress. I still remembered how he run hugging me while mumbling “I have a boyfriend!” again and again.

Of course, the only person came to my mind was you. And I was right.

“Him?”

“Yes, hyung! You know I’ve been crushing on Taekwoon hyung for so long. He finally notices me, we become closer, and he confessed to me today!”

Getting someone you love as a boyfriend and discovering a stranger as your soulmate at the same time. I wonder how you felt that day…

 

It’s not that I believe the existence of soulmate through red string, but it’s not that I don’t believe it either. I have seen it since I was a child and I admitted I had fun guessing how long couples would stay together through their string’s connection. Even though it always ended up with breaking up news from the unmatched ones.

But somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to guess how long you and Hongbin would stay together. I knew how much he loves you and so do you, right? You two looked happy together.

What more did I want to see other than my younger brother be that happy?

 It’s funny though how we became closer after Hongbin introduced us which made you discovered that your supposed-to-be soulmate was your boyfriend’s brother.

I was glad that we don’t avoid each other. Instead, we stayed like what friends were for. Helping each other, teasing each other and- hey! You were always teasing me about my one-side crush on Wonshik.

Like damn. How could you realize it at the first glance? Even Wonshik himself didn’t know that until now. Hongbin too, he still doesn’t know that his hyung once had a huge crush on his bestfriend.

Ooh how I really want to hit you whenever I remember your words that day,

“Wonshik is dumb. He wouldn’t know even when you confess to him.”

I knew you’re blunt. But really? Wonshik was not dumb, ok. Dense maybe. But dumb sounded too harsh!

 

I’ll be honest. I never once believed Hongbin that you were a nice person. Even though he always told me how romantic and kind you were on every dates, how you prepared this and that just for him. All I did was ooh-ed and nodded.

But I still ask myself why I came to you for help then. The things even more embarrassing! I still remembered your remarks,

“You don’t even call me ‘hyung’ and you expect me to help you get together with Wonshik?” with crossed arms.

That time, I playfully reminded you that I was your brother in law, an older brother in law. The next thing happened were you walked away with a snort saying you wouldn’t help me.

But fifteen minutes later, you sent me a simple message

‘After school, music room. I told Wonshik to meet you there.’

I could understand how annoyed you were when I came begging you to cancel it. Don’t blame me, ok. That was too sudden! I didn’t prepare anything!

I was really thankful when you agreed to help me again. Although with a bet that I would call you ‘hyung’ if you success.

 

Jung Taekwoon, who were you exactly?

You managed to make me feel comfortable whenever I was around you. We had fun by teasing and hitting each other. I was happy but somehow those made me wonder. Was this how you feel of having your soulmate with you?

I had to mentally slap myself whenever those thoughts came to my mind. You were my soon-to-be brother in law after all, right Taekwoonie?

Yeah! Hit me all you want! You always knocked my head whenever I called you that name.

 

“Remember when I said I’ve never heard any case about broken string?”

“Yeah.

“I think I’ve discovered a new case.”

“What is it?”

“Tangled string.”

We laughed because it sounded funny. But then I realized how true the term was to describe our situation.

 

It seemed like we got too comfortable with each other that you finally came for my help. You said Hongbin was angry because some girls wouldn’t leave you alone and you wanted to prepare a special apology on his birthday.

“What should I prepare?”

“Why are you asking me?”

“You’re his brother. Come on!”

“You’re his boyfriend. You should’ve known better.”

“Help me. I’ll call you hyung if he forgives me.”

“Just prepare something romantic.”

I did say that. I did tell you to prepare something romantic but I never thought about THAT kind of romantic! I never imagined I would see you showing up the next day in the music room with a music book in hands, telling me to sit and listening to your self-composed song.

I complimented you at that time. It surprised me that someone as stoic as you could write sweet lyrics like that. Even until now I still remember everything about that song. ‘Thank You for being Born’, wasn’t it?

“You’re lucky to be the first person to listen to my song. Even before Hongbin does.”

That was what you said when I expressed my envy. I didn’t say anything else back then but honestly, your words made my heart fluttered and that was the first time I ever felt jealous of my brother over a simple thing, a song.

By the way, you should see how annoying your face was when you jokingly told me to write a song for Wonshik too.

“I’m not good at writing.”

“Just write something like ‘How are you there?’ or ‘Do you know my feeling?’ or ‘Why are you doing this to me?’”

“Nah. It sounds too sad.”

I clearly said I don’t want to, but then you started singing with the piano and even asked me to record it.

“I’ll forget everything if I don’t record it.” You said. It was so sudden yet you managed to make a whole song. I called you a ‘genius composer’ and you neck-chopped me while mumbling ‘shut up’.

 

I didn’t know what was on your mind that day, but the more I listened to your new song, the more I felt uneasy.

Like why the hell you sang a song about a dead lover? Hongbin was not dying! He lives happily and healthily!! I really wanted to kill you when I realized that.

“You gave me sudden inspiration, that’s it. Just keep listening and decide a good title for it.”

I was so dumbfounded. I was alive for heaven’s sake! How could I be the inspiration?!

But yeah in the end it became the first song I ever participated, even only the title. I kept asking myself why you gave me that song. No. More like why you wrote that song in the first place!

And I got the answer the next day.

 

It was September 29th when you texted me early in the morning to not forget the special event for Hongbin. Yeah, in the end I agreed to help you and we promised to meet early at school’s music room but you never showed up.

I seriously thought you played prank on me but you didn’t even there when I went to your classroom. Neither your classmates nor Hongbin knew where you were. Even Hongbin grew very worried, forgetting all his anger, when he knew you didn’t come to school that day.

I texted you. Yes, I texted you asking your whereabouts and you replied saying nothing but apologizing for not coming. Your text was nice. Too nice that I could feel the obvious difference with your usual straight-forward and sarcastic tone.

When I finally called you, I proved that my feeling was right. Your brother was the one who picked up as well as the one who replied my text. His sad voice told me how you got into a bad accident that morning and you hadn’t woken up since then.

 

I didn’t know how I felt at that time. I was sad, yes. I was heart-broken too. But I wasn’t sure why I felt that. I asked myself was that because of seeing Hongbin’s broken state, Wonshik’s sad face, or because the fact that I saw the string on your finger had disappeared.

Yes, I saw you lying there like a statue, only your chest moving in a steady breathing and a string no longer tied on your finger.

Connected string would always be together while the opposite thing to happen for the unmatched ones. But we never knew what would happen to the tangled string, right?

I made my own conclusion that just like any other normal string, when it got tangled it would get broken in the end. Well, it was not the case of broken string. It was the case of tangled string that got broken in the end.

‘What would happen to us?’ was the thought ringing in my head. How could someone lose his string? Was that even possible?

But it was.

I just smiled sadly while looking at my broken string when Hongbin called me that night, telling me that you’re no longer here. You were gone.

So, this was the answer. Someone who lost their string meant they were already tied to God. I thought that was the end, but no.

 

The real end was when I visited the school’s music room some days later. I sat there on the piano, recalling how you sang To Heaven while watching the video I recorded myself.

Ah right. You were gone even before I told you about the title of the song you gave me. I’ve decided, To Heaven.

‘Was this why you gave me this song? You wanted me to sing it for you?’ and I sang it anyway.

That was when I heard the footsteps along with the weird feeling my string being pulled slightly. Someone was approaching and that someone was at the end of my string. I didn’t know what was gotten into me that I started to mumble your name while a hopeful smile made its way on my lips. But the reality of the face appeared made my smile dropped.

“Jaehwan hyung, what are you doing here?”

Kim Wonshik.

‘You really are helping me to be with him until the end, aren’t you Jung Taekwoon?’

‘You want me to call you ‘hyung’ that bad huh?’

‘You win, Taekwoon hyung. You win.’

And I only smiled as the first tear made its way down my face.

 

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Actually I was already half finished writing this fic when I decided to rewrite everything and made it Jaehwan’s pov. Then I realized how angst this fic sounds hahahaha

But don’t worry if you want to know the detail of Taekwoon-Jaehwan friendship, or the brighter(?) side, I will post the original one (third person pov). Just let me finish it first hahahaha 

Still, both this and the original version have the same ending, nothing changes. Because this is what I have in mind since the beginning ._. or maybe you can convince me to make a happy ending? ;)

Thank you for reading~