Three

A Song of Earth and Air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YIFAN

~

“What do you mean there are dragons in Maidenpool?!”

The lord of Highgarden slammed his fist against the desk in his study, clearly vehemently disturbed by the news that his maester brought him from the wings of a raven. He sat back in his chair roughly, eyes closed as he rubbed his temple, trying to calm his growing anger so that he didn’t do anything irrational.

“How is it that we send such a large supply of our resources to King’s Landing, for the queen and her people there to use, and yet she rewards a small holdkeep on the Bay of Crabs that only brings in a few fish?”

“Lord Yifan,” the maester said quietly, his chain clanking slightly as he bowed. “Maidenpool has grown to be a fairly valuable asset to Her Majesty, as they control all of the fishing villages from Quiet Isle to the Dyre Den. As well, House Lennaris has always been loyal to the Targaryens, even through the time of the Usurper and the War of the Five Kings.” He paused, allowing his words to sink in, and when it seemed that they had, he added, “My lord, I thought you would have been more concerned with the other news that the raven carried.”

Lord Yifan opened his eyes to meet Maester Joonmyeon’s gaze. “And what exactly was the other part of the raven’s message? I pray it can’t be worse than another house receiving such a valuable gift.”

The maester was unable to hold his lord’s gaze then as he responded very solemnly. “It seems that, on the night that the dragons hatched, the heir to Maidenpool was killed in his chambers.”

 

 

TAEHYUNG

~

Jungkook had not left his chambers for three days now, except for the funeral, and Taehyung was growing increasingly worried about him. With the constant presence of at least one steward and a guard, he had been unable to visit his friend or see the dragons, since both of them were being kept in his chambers.

The funeral for his brother had been dismal at best, and still no one understood who could have done such a thing to the promised lord of Maidenpool. Lard Jacaemar had ordered that no one leave or enter the town for at least a week, bringing trade to a standstill, so that he might find who had committed the murder.

Murder. Taehyung cringed every time he thought about it. To know that someone was willing to do such a thing, within the very walls of the keep, kept him on edge constantly, since it was likely that the treasonous person was still somewhere within. The son of the kennel master now found himself glancing around corners and into dark niches, as well as sleeping with his favorite hound at his bedside, just in case. Of course he didn’t expect anyone to target him, being that he wasn’t anywhere near to highborn, but after what had happened to him that night, he didn’t quite trust that no one else had seen. And if they had seen him, they might think he was some sort of sorcerer and want him dead as well.

Finally, Jungkook emerged from his chambers on the fourth day after his brother’s passing, and he certainly looked worse for wear when Taehyung managed to see him. There were dark circles under the boy’s eyes, making it clear that he had not managed to sleep soundly at all. And no wonder; if anyone was to be targeted after his brother, it was Jungkook, the only remaining heir to Maidenpool as well as the dragons.

“Come to my chambers after you break your fast,” Jungkook mumbled as he passed Taehyung on his way into the great hall in the morning. “I want to speak to you about some things.”

Of course, Taehyung did not question this request in the slightest; the main thing he noticed was just how somber his friend was when he spoke. He seemed almost lifeless, absolutely devoid of any of the joy he had always held while they were growing up.

When he reached Jungkook’s chamber, the guard that was posted merely nodded at him, allowing him inside.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter