Chapter III

Bravest [discontinued]

The forest is sparkling green, but no one pays attention. Perhaps that is for the better, because this forest was made to enchant. It was meant to lure casual travelers off the trail, farther and farther away from help, until it could have them all to itself. The forest is alive; all forests are. It’s just that this particular forest is more malevolent than its siblings.

In its core, BTOB finds a cave, gaping wide as it discharges cold air and radiates pure darkness. Without a word, Minhyuk leads the way in. As soon as all four step down into the main chamber, torches blaze to life, illuminating a plaque that reads, “For Peace Cometh Destruction.”

Peniel’s stony face wavers a bit, and Ilhoon swallows. As one, they both step further behind Changsub and Minhyuk, who sigh internally. Suddenly, in front of them, elevated on a platform, a fire pit alights, revealing a silhouette that they’d recognize anywhere: Super Junior’s Yesung.

“Yesung-hyung,” Changsub greets coldly, mind whirling, trying not to show confusion. “Why are you here? You’re not a Cube artist.” Yesung pays him no mind, leaping lightly from the altar to stride darkly towards the group.

“In peace I come,” he speaks, robes flowing, voice dangerously soft. “But from peace cometh destruction. Born to Beat, you must leave behind one member in your quest to save the rest. The rules are simple.”

He waves a hand and straws, one gold, one silver, appear in each member’s hands. “Answer my question yes, and hand me the gold. Answer me no, and behold the silver. The one who differs will stay behind. If there is more than one dissolution, none shall leave.

“My question is: would you betray your friends for power? I grant you time to discuss.”

Minhyuk immediately pulls Changsub to the side. “I’ll stay. I… there’s no way I can take care of them like this. They can’t stay, either of them. I won’t let them. You won’t either. I know you.”

Changsub’s silence is the only answer he needs. However, on the other side, Ilhoon and Peniel have decided that they should either all get out, or all die together.

Minhyuk glares at Changsub, who says, “Look, I’ll stay. Minhyuk-hyung knows more than I do, so he’ll know, uh, what to do. Please, just listen to us for once.”

Peniel throws his arms around Changsub, and Ilhoon buries his face in Changsub’s shoulder. He lets them, looking at Minhyuk helplessly, feeling an overwhelming sense of bitter loss and irony.

Yesung breaks in smoothly, holding his hand out for the straws. Minhyuk quickly hands him one, motioning for Changsub to do the same. When the maknaes finally reveal their tear-stained faces, they too cast votes.

Looking over the results, Yesung shows a cold smile. “Peniel chooses no,” he announces in an eerie, lilting voice. “As do Ilhoon and Changsub, which leaves Minhyuk as yes.”

Dead silence as both Peniel and Ilhoon draw back from Changsub. It’s as if their magnetic fields had just reversed, because just a moment ago, they had been overcome with grief. Now, they seems disgusted. Changsub can only gaze back sadly. His heart is so tired.

Minhyuk puts on a brave smile. “Hey, it’s okay. I’ll tell Eunkwang, Hyunsik, and Sungjae that you said hi.” Peniel bursts out crying, and Ilhoon’s face contorts.

“Hyung, why?” he demands at Changsub, voice trembling. He turns to Minhyuk. “Would you really? If you could, would you leave us for power?”

He breaks down, sinking to the ground, shoulders quivering. Changsub swallows, and Minhyuk’s throat works.

“Just go,” he finally urges. “Changsub, take care of them for me.” He pushes Peniel away from him, and Changsub pulls him and Ilhoon to the mouth of the cave.

“Minhyuk-hyung!” Changsub’s clear voice rings through the air. “We’ll do it! Count on us!” He raises a fist, and, smiling, Minhyuk returns it. Then they turn away and are gone.

Behind Minhyuk, Yesung’s expression shifts into something more sinister.

“You realize that this is your death, yes?” he scorns lightly, amused. Minhyuk turns to face him, defiance clear in his gaze.

“Even if I don’t defeat you,” he says loudly, enunciating each syllable. “Even if I can’t break this, there will be someone who can. Even if I die, Changsub won’t. He can do it. I know him, and I trust him. I know what he is capable of. He knows what to do.”

Yesung simply raises an eyebrow and snaps his fingers. Immediately, flames spring from within the walls, and he disappears, melting into the air.

“We shall see, Lee Minhyuk,” his voice echoes. Minhyuk blinks back tears, raising his fist.

“BTOB, we are Born to Beat! Eunkwang, Hyunsik, Sungjae, wait for me! I’m coming.”


Yo yo yo I am back! I remembered to update on time today XDD. Ughhhhh I'm so close to being done with school, so close so close, but now I'm sick because I'd been losing my voice anyway, and swimming in cold water did not help. I probably have to swim again today -_-

Anyway, what do you like about this story in particular? Anything that stood out? Is it too rushed? Idk bro, tell me anything