Prologue II

Bravest [discontinued]

Minhyuk awakens first, head pounding. There is an unpleasant taste in his dry mouth, and he grunts, rolling over onto his stomach. Managing to crawl up, Minhyuk pushes the shoulder of the nearest person, who happens to be Changsub.

The first thing that Changsub does upon opening his eyes is curse. It comes as a surprise for Minhyuk, effectively waking him up. It’s not every day that he hears this much profanity from this particular dongsaeng.

“ing hell,” Ilhoon mutters thickly, dragging his limp body towards the main group. “Why did I land so far away from the rest of you?”

Slowly, the others gain consciousness as well, and groaning, voices cracking. Changsub takes the moment to sit up, ruffling his hair, and assess their surroundings.

They’re in a cave, dimly lit with a few weak rays of sunlight coming from the high ceiling. Behind them, there is only the hard rock wall. On the other side of the cave, an eerie white brightness shines. Eunkwang meets his eyes, and so does Minhyuk; they both see it too.

“Careful,” Minhyuk warns quietly. “It may not be an exit. In fact, it could be worse.”

“You watch too many horror movies,” Changsub snorts as Eunkwang scoots away. “It’s fine. Besides, we have to try. I mean, I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not die here.”

His voice echoes in the empty space. If looks could kill, Changsub would be dead immediately; Minhyuk glares swords at him as the rest of the members notice the light as well.

“Hyung’s right,” Ilhoon says, eyes glued to the mysterious light. “We can’t die now. We have each other, right? We’ll make it through.”

“But Minhyuk-hyung has a point,” Peniel argues. “Who knows what that might be? Nothing is impossible, ghosts included.”

“I say we check it out anyway,” Sungjae retorts. “I don’t believe in the supernatural. Anyway, that light looks natural enough.”

The vote is equal; everything comes down to Hyunsik, who casts an apologetic look at Eunkwang and Minhyuk, choosing to investigate the light.

Eunkwang bites back a curse and tries to hide behind Minhyuk, who puts an arm around him. Peniel joins Ilhoon and Sungjae’s maknae huddle, and the group moves forward.

Strangely enough, the intensity of the light never rises as they advance. The glow is just as strong from about fifty meters away as it was from the other side of the cave.

“Not… right…” Eunkwang whispers. Minhyuk’s grip tightens. Changsub, irked, sighs and barges ahead.

“Lee Changsub!” Minhyuk’s sharp reprimand echoes off the walls of the cave. With thoughts only for Changsub’s safety, Eunkwang flings aside his own fear, throwing off Minhyuk’s arm, and chases after, the rest of BTOB in tow.

In front of them, Changsub freezes, and as the others arrive, they see why.

They are all now standing on a ledge, not more than ten meters across and five meters wide. The gorge below them has no visible floor, only a sea of mist. The opposite wall, barely able to be seen, doesn’t seem to have any footholds either.

Changsub spins around, fear evident in his eyes, but as the last member rushes forward, a door-like contraption seals off the exit, trapping the group.

“Oh ,” Changsub whispers, voice rising with each word. “Oh , , , !”

Hyunsik pulls him away from the edge, ing him against the wall, and kneels beside him with Peniel, both thrown off by the helpless tears streaming down his face.

The others, not knowing what to do, can only watch. Eunkwang closes his eyes and lets out a long sigh. An indefinite amount of time later, Changsub begins to quiet down, and Eunkwang opens his eyes again, looking over the vast canyon.

He screams bloodcurdlingly, nearly falling off. Sungjae pulls him to safety, but he himself is shaking with previously unknown fear.

“Born to Beat,” a huge voice booms. The speaker is a gargantuan apparition shrouded in shadow and darkness, floating above the mist. “I am the Keeper. I have come to offer you a deal. Really, a bargain. You should be thankful.”

“Speak it,” Minhyuk demands angrily, trying to deal with Changsub, Eunkwang, and Sungjae all at once. “Speak and begone.”

“Do not address me in that tone of voice, Lee Minhyuk.” A cold scoff rings through the air. “The world is no longer in equilibrium. One of you must remain with me, else the Earth will collapse. You have no choice in this other than to choose the one to stay. Think carefully, for they must be good-natured and well-rounded. Whom will it be?”

BTOB looks at each other. Eunkwang’s eyes suddenly blaze, and he stands up, shaking off Minhyuk’s arms. “You don’t touch my kids. I’ll go.”

“No,” Minhyuk growls, rising and putting a hand on his shoulder. “They need you. I’ll go.”

“Hyung, no,” Changsub speaks up weakly, struggling to breathe. “Let me. I’m useless.”

“Shut up!” “Let me go!” “You stay!” “ no!” “I’ll go, dammit!”

“STOP!” Everyone freezes at the sound of Peniel’s shout. His face is contorted in anger, a rare sight for someone usually so calm. “All or nothing. All or none, because we are a TEAM!”

Silence. The Keeper’s silence seems almost smug, as if he knows that no one will listen. Then, Eunkwang reaches out to take Peniel’s hand, grabbing Minhyuk with the other.

“One, two, three!” he shouts. “We are!”

The answer he receives is deafening.

“BORN TO BEAT!” each and every member roars, glaring at the Keeper in defiance.

The Keeper sighs, and the earth rumbles again. The ledge they stand on begins to crumble. Changsub starts to cry again, and Hyunsik all but faints. Eunkwang fairly shoots rapiers through the apparition, and Ilhoon lets out a feral growl.

“If you can’t choose, I’ll force you,” the Keeper warns as the ledge disappears, sending BTOB, once again, into the oblivion.