Grounded

I Can Be Your Hero

 

Hyungwon had been just a second too late from latching onto Wonho. The hems on Wonho’s shirt sleeves were soaking wet from washing dishes and had created a puddle on the floor. When he stepped forward to pile the last bunch of dishes up, his legs shot out from underneath him and his head flew back. First his shoulders hit the ground, then his , followed by the back of his head, colliding with the wood floor with a loud thud. Hyungwon froze in horror with both his arms extended in mid air.

Hyungwon stood over Wonho, wide eyed, intently staring down Wonho’s motionless body. Immediately, his instinct to protect Wonho took over. He dropped to his knees and carefully lifted his head onto his lap to prevent any further damage to his head. Wonho was out cold and Hyungwon had no idea what to do. He was never able to handle emergencies well. It always made him feel so helpless. Blood had started to pool out from the back of Wonho’s head, creating patches on Hyungwon’s perfect, pale-blue coat. However, he couldn’t care less, the coat was meaningless to him compared to his friend at this moment. It was by far, the most expensive article of clothing he owned, which costs thousands of dollars, and Hyungwon was using it like a dishrag. After watching him helplessly for what felt like hours, Hyungwon’s panic began to set in.

“Come on… Come on-Come on-Come on… Wake up, Wonho... ”

“‘Come on’ where?” He groaned, slowly coming to terms with his surroundings. “...What just happened?”

“We’re going to the hospital.”

“Wha-?... Why?” He rolled his head back and forth, trying to find the least painful position to accommodate his searing headache.

“You’re drenched, sleep deprived and your head’s bleeding. You could have a concussion.”  Wonho groaned, half because of the overwhelming inconvenience that a concussion presents, and half because his whole body hurt too much to even think about sitting up properly.

“I’m bleeding?…”

“Yes, I'm calling a cab. Try to sit up. Slowly.”

“Hyungwon, I’m fine.” Wonho argued like a child. Inside, however, he was trying his best to hide the pulsing pain wracking the back of his skull. Wonho tried to never to show when he was in pain because he didn’t want the people around him, especially Hyungwon, to worry about something as trivial as a concussion. He preferred to overcome pain on his own, without inconveniencing the people he cared for. “It's no big deal.” The next thing he knew, the room was spinning. Then, everything suddenly went black as he slipped into a cold and dark sleep.