Chapter 1

The Librarian

October 12,

 

Park Jimin was sitting outside on a bench in the park. He was alone. Not many people were outside. Well some people were walking their dog. The weather forecast said that there was a high possibility it would rain. Dark clouds were hovering above his head, but there was surely no rain. The sun was setting and the street lights switched on. Jimin didn't want to go home. He was hungry, but his mother didn't cook for him anymore since he was always late home. The main reason for Jimin to wander on the street was to avoid his father. His father was one of the higher ups of SAQ and the head of the Librarian association. Everyone adored his father and he was very powerful. Jimin didn't even know his first name. He always had to speak to him with the honorific Sir or Mister Park. Also Jimin knew his true colours. He always kept his mother restricted and had full control over her. His mother acted like the perfect wife and did everything he asked. Every evening she cooked a meal for him and did chores like the best housewife she could be. His mother didn't care, because she loved his father. They also had allot of service at home, but his mother preferred doing things on he own like cooking and washing clothes. They weren't even soulmates. His fathers soulmate died before Jimin was born, and his mother never met hers and gave up on looking for him. 

Jimin loved his mother, but he knew she could do more with her powers. She was a Librarian just like his father and has the ability to find objects and people. She always knew were Jimin was or has been, but she never questioned why he was just wandering around the streets. If car keys were lost she could track them and search the object before his father was too late for a meeting. The ability of Jimins father was more dangerous and used it allot on Jimin when he was younger. Jimin wasn't really sure what his ability was, but pain was involved. That was another reason for avoiding the Park residential. 

Jimin was a disappointment to his father. When he was younger his father thought Jimins power would awaken with torture. But even now his power was still asleep. Tomorrow is his eighteens birthday and after a year of training he finally is legal to become a full diplomatic Librarian. He also could leave the house, but he wasn't free from his father. Since it was mandatory for a Librarian to be in duty for at least three years -Years of training is not counted- and Jimin knew his father is going to be his boss. Not everyone could be a Librarian and not many were born. That's why Librarians were forced into duty. His father was against only three years. Since Librarians have longevity. 

Running away from home was not a option since his mother would find him, and work as a Librarian could never be that hard right? 

It slowly became colder outside and Jimin shivered. He stood up and pulled his hood over his head when he felt droplets on his face. Finally it was going to rain. He sighed. It would almost take an hour to walk home and by that time he would be soaking wet. He left his wallet at home so going to a cafe was not an option. So he decided to risk it and walk the long distance home.

After a while he finally arrived at his home. It was raining and in the distant Jimin heard thunder. The streets were almost flooding and his hood didn't keep his hair dry.

Jimins house was huge and near the end of the city. His father was a rich man. Another reason to avoid home. It was so neat and clean. Not Jimins style. Most of the times he would crash by his friend Taehyung, but he was out of the country for a couple weeks. He was on vacation with his family or something. Taehyung liked beggar clothes and wasn't as arrogant as the butlers in Jimins house. When he was little the housekeeper always would slap on Jimins hands with a ruler when he did something bad. That something bad was bringing toads he captured from the pond into the house to play with them. He once almost drowned in the pond when he wanted to catch a fish. The gardener saw him falling into the water and rescued him before it was too late. After the incident the gardener learnt Jimin swim over the summer. Since Jimin received private school lessons he never really had friends. The gardener was his first friend. He was around 18 years old while Jimin was only 6. It was not a real friendship, but to Jimin it was at that time. In the summer he also learnt Jimin to build paper planes. Not the ones you make in class when you're bored, but the professional ones that could fly for hours. Eventually the summer ended and the gardener quit the job. Without even knowing his name he left Jimin and the house. Jimin became more unsocial after that and his parents decided that when he was old enough it would be better to send him to a public school. 

Jimin opened the door leading to the kitchen. The door was only used by Jimin and the people that would bring groceries to the house. Of course it was silent when he entered. He also was still hungry and made a quick sandwich before going to his room. When he was about to go up the stairs he heard a voice behind him. 

''Jimin?'' The low voice from his father reverberated through the hall and Jimin turned around. While he was standing for those couple minutes a little puddle of rainwater formed under his feet.

''Yes?''

''I would like to speak to you. If you could come to my office in around an hour?'' 

Jimin wasn't really surprised. Tomorrow he would start his work as a Librarian. 

---

One minute before the -so said- hour was around Jimin knocked on his fathers office door to bug him. He had showered and was wearing dry and clean clothes.

''Come in.''

Jimin opened the large wooden door, and stepped awkwardly inside.

''Jimin, I said an hour...'' His father spoke without taking a glance at Jimin. He was still busy organising his paperwork. 

''Actually it is still within that hour.'' Jimin said arrogant. His father sighed irritated.

''This is not how I raised you!'' Jimins father was getting angry. 

''You didn't raise me at all.'' Jimin muttered, but loud enough for his father to hear. His father pretended he didn't hear the last sentence. 

''Jimin...'' silence ''Tomorrow you will start to work as a Librarian.'' Jimin nodded.

''Because you're my son they have high expectations for you. That's why they want you to put in the field.'' His father frowned.

''How is the developing of your power going?'' His father asked getting straight to the point. Jimin didn't know how to answer. He thought his father already gave up on forcing his power to use. He was getting frightened. He thought this was over... He stumbled a little backwards, so his father wouldn't notice he was getting in a defence position. 

''Jimin, why are you not answering my question?'' His father was now standing up. Jimin was shorter then him and he felt immediately intimidated. 

''Son you don't have to lie. I know you've developed your powers years ago. Why are you hiding it?'' Jimin wasn't hiding his power. He didn't have a power. His mouth was tightly shut and became dry. 

''You can't go to the field without a power! You know how humiliated it is for me if my son died on his first mission! And the cause of death to be no defence mechanism against his enemy!'' Jimin felt his fathers power circling over the ground. He didn't see it, but he could sense the negative power his ankles. 

''Tell me you've been hiding your power!'' Jimin cowered by hearing the loud voice of his father. His fear was for nothing when he felt a sharp pain going through his body. He screamed his lungs almost out. Tears welled up in the corners of his eyes. His skin felt like burning, but when he looked at it he saw no blisters were on the surface. It was all in his head. The pain wasn't physical but mental. Another stab of pain made his way through his nerves. 

''WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!'' His father screamed above the screams from Jimin. 

''STOP!!!'' Jimin managed to scream out. The pain retreated and Jimin tried to catch his breath. Tears were rolling over his cheeks. His heart was beating like crazy and he noticed he had fallen on the ground. The pause endured for 5 seconds until anther wave of pain went trough his nervous system. He yelled louder than ever. 

Minutes went by and Jimin wasn't screaming anymore, but his vocal cords produced a soft squeaking noise. However he was still conscious, although his vision was blurry. Suddenly the cause of the pain stopped again. He heard the door slam shut behind him and Jimin was left alone in his fathers office. By now Jimins tears almost dried up. Only a single tear escaped and splattered into molecules after touching the ground. He heard the antique clock behind his fathers desk hit his usual notes after the hour passed, twelve times.

He took a huge breath in to fill his lungs with oxygen. That he was so hard trying to receive minutes ago.

Happy birthday Jimin...  He said mentally to himself after closing his eyes and letting the tiredness overtake him.

---

Jimin showed his ID-card and smiled at the woman behind the desk. 

''You can register yourself on floor three.'' She said smiling back. Jimin nodded and waved her off. He clicked on the button from the elevator and waited until he arrived. He sighed... How was he going to explain he didn't have a power? The doors opened and Jimin stepped out on floor three. 

''Park Jimin?'' A man with bleached hair walked towards him. 

''That's me.'' Jimin said and followed the man trough the long hall. The floor was a black carpet and the walls were plain white. At the end of the hall a huge painting was promoting himself. How can someone call that art? Jimin thought while looking at the red stripes what was supposed to be a lady. 

The man opened a door almost at the end of the corridor. He signed to Jimin that he could sit down. The room was just as boring as the rest of the building he was in. He didn't expect this to be such an office. The man sat down across Jimin and the only thing that separated them was a desk.

''Do you want some coffee or something?'' The man asked and Jimin muttered a small no. The man himself took a sip from his own coffee cup that was already on the desk when Jimin entered the room. 

''I'm Kim Namjoon.'' The man introduced himself. He was holding his hand out an made eye-contact with Jimin. Not noticing he placed his coffee cup dangerously on the edge of the desk. Jimin was about to shake Namjoons hand when the coffee cup -Of course- fell off the desk and shattered in pieces.

''Ah ! That was my favourite cup!'' Namjoon yelled. He let out an sign from irritation and started cleaning the mess. Jimin saw it wasn't the only coffee stain on the carpet. He chuckled lightly.

''Don't you dare laugh!'' Namjoon said when he heard Jimin giggle, but Namjoon smiled afterwards when he could not take his own threat seriously. 

After he was finally done he sat down. He only cleaned up the pieces from the cup, not bothering about the stain. 

''Soooo...'' Namjoon began.

''I see you turned eighteen! Congratulations! You're father requested to put you in the field.'' Jimin nodded. He actually thought his father declined that offer. After last night Jimin hasn't seen his father. Only his mother gave him a hug and wished him a ''happy birthday'' when he was eating breakfast in the kitchen. Not that he had allot of appetite. 

''So that makes us partners then!'' Namjoon said interrupting Jimins thoughts. 

''You still need to sign this contract and fill in the application form that comes with it.'' He handed Jimin a sheet of paper.

 

Name:  Jimin

Full name: Park Jimin

Age: 18

Years of training: 1

Supernatural power achieved at age? 

 

Jimin stared at the question. How was he supposed to answer?

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Hey,

I hope this isn't confusing, because I always tend to skip details and leaving out important information( I always think I mentioned things).

Also sorry for my Grammar, English isn't my native language. I also at radix points. (My teacher always says so, but that's not only English hehehe)

I hope you liked this story!