goodnight

hold on tight

“I can’t sleep like this,” Taeyong complains when his hand hits the wall for the umpteenth time. The bed is too small, with barely enough space for the two of them to lie comfortably and Taeyong couldn’t stop his heart from racing with his crush so close to him. 

“Should I move to the other bed then?” Jaehyun asks.

The rational answer would be a “no”. Taeyong has an irrational fear for sleeping in foreign hotel rooms and having someone close will help to curb the fear, but the other person is his newfound crush and having his heart beat rapidly for the rest of the night is equally uncomfortable.

“Yeah, you should.”

“Okay, I’m going,” Jaehyun rolls off the bed and lands on the floor dramatically,“Sleep well hyung,” He adds, giving Taeyong a soft pat on his head.

 

It is way more comfortable without Jaehyun hogging up half the bed, giving Taeyong plenty of space to stretch his limbs and none of the worries about hitting the wall or getting too close to Jaehyun. But the dark is haunting, and not even humming their newest song under his breath can take his mind off the ghost stories Ten had told them earlier.

“Jaehyun, are you asleep?” Taeyong asks after a while, huge eyes peeking out of the blanket carefully.

“Jaehyun,” Taeyong tries again, albeit louder this time, taking care to keep the fear out of his voice.

“I’m awake,” Jaehyun mumbles after a while, voice laced with sleep, “Can’t sleep?”

“Yeah,” Taeyong admits readily, guilt creeping up on him. They had a long day, visiting famous attractions in the morning before throwing themselves into a full day of dance practice, and Taeyong had kept Jaehyun up with his fears, first pulling the younger boy to sleep with him before chasing him away on whim.

“Hyung,” Jaehyun rests his arms on the nightstand after a few seconds of silence, holding it out for Taeyong, “Hold onto my hand. I’m scared too.”

Taeyong knows that it is a lie. Jaehyun never had any problems with the dark or ghost stories, being able to laugh all of them off when the other boys try to scare them with any urban myths they’ve heard. But Taeyong takes the proffered hand gratefully, using it to guide himself to the younger boy.

“Hyung?” Jaehyun asks confusedly when Taeyong slips into his bed, pushing Jaehyun to make space for himself.

“Your arm will be numb tomorrow. Don’t want you to be the black hole during showcase tomorrow.” Taeyong mumbles shyly, grateful that Jaehyun couldn't see the blush creeping up his cheeks in the dark.

“Is it? Goodnight hyung,” Taeyong thinks he must be imagining the happiness in Jaehyun’s voice, but he can think about that tomorrow. Just like how he’ll worry about his heart tomorrow.

 

 


a/n: first drabble i managed to finish in months, please be kind to me