Kiss Cam Catastrophe

Kiss Cam

          Kibum was paying me no mind at all while we were perched in our seats during a basketball game. I had purchased the tickets for the both of us last Christmas as a one year anniversary gift. He had been all too excited to go to this event with me then, but now he was intently watching the game, the coke in his hand long forgotten.

          We had been together for nearly one year and one month. It began on Christmas day of our Senior year in high school. We were both now freshmen in college now, and he continues to behave like an ignorant child. I'm clueless as how to I warranted this attitude of his.

          Since he was moping in his seat, I decided to mirror his state. Crossing my arms over my chest and plastering the most indifferent and unamused visage that I could muster, I absentmindedly watched the game. I hoped and hoped for this date to be over as quickly as possible and without too much embarrassment. So, when the game abruptly ended and I looked up to the jumbo Tron screen decorated with a frilly heart that symbolized a person's delight or dread - the Kiss Cam - I could feel my heart plummet to the dirty stadium floors.

          Fate wouldn't be as insensitive to my suffering as to direct everyone's attention to Key and me, right?

          Having no clue if my boyfriend was even aware of the Kiss Cam's debut, I steeled myself to glance his way. He was now scrolling through Snapchat on his phone, completely oblivious to the screen's existence. That just made me scowl, and I almost asked him what on God's good earth was the matter with him when I heard the crowd of people coo "Ohhh!" sounds. I made a mental 360º and turned my head toward the screen and saw a couple going at it.

          Just as I was about to dismiss the two and my qualms, the cam moved on and I found myself staring, in a mortified manner, at myself, my eyes wide with sudden dawning terror. Damn it. Why?

          Nudging Key and trying my absolute best to ignore the gazes on me, I hissed-yelled, "Key, we're on the Kiss Cam. Come on."

          He brushed me off, muttering a "Whatever, babe."

          Dismay and shame made my cheeks flare. "Really? Don't be an , Key! Everyone's watching us! I'm serious!"

          "Who cares?" he spat back, voice devoid of any and all emotion.

          I felt tears sting at the back of my eyes as desperation to hold of my being. The Kiss Cam was meant as a welcomed distraction from the game, but now that I was experiencing it first-hand...

          A hand suddenly landed on my shoulder and I hurriedly turned away from Key to face the guy who sat next to me. I hadn't paid him attention because no guys, other than Key, existed in my peripheral view, but I wish I had. He was exceedingly alluring, with warm brown eyes, styled raven-black hair, and a smile that showcased his glowing complexion. He then winked at me, and I almost didn't realize what he was doing when he pulled me onto his lap, in front of all prying eyes, and kissed me.

          Sound immediately dissipated as this hot stranger kissed me. I felt erupting sparks and tingles, sensations I'd been pining to feel after they were gone with Key, and I sighed into this stranger's mouth. It took me a few more moments - entire minutes - of making out with him to realize the Kiss Cam must've changed couple again, so soon. Gradually opening my eyes, I pulled away from the kiss and blissfully slid back into my own seat, my cheeks ablaze. On the screen, my guesses were verified.

          When I glanced at the stranger, he simply winked at me again and returned his gaze to the game. When I looked at Key, I saw that he didn't even notice.

          My mood officially deflated. I sank into my seat and let the buzz around my drown everything else out.

*~*

          At the end of the game, Key and I walked away from the stadium and he was still keeping his silence. When we reached the parking lot, I decided to confront him. If there was anything to have learned from today, it was that Key and I weren't meant to be in the slightest. Heck, even a stranger managed to make me feel appreciated and valued, even if it was a kiss out of pity. It spoke volumes of where my current relationship was heading.

          "I'm breaking up with you," I stated rather casually when we reached his car.

          He looked at me, shock quite apparent. "What?"

          "I said," I repeated at a slower pace, "I'm breaking up with you."

          The bewilderment was soon replaced with exasperation. "Do we have to do this right now? Are you kidding me?"

          That reply only accomplished pissing me off beyond the point of no return. "You know what, Key?" I stared him right in the eye. "Screw you."

          I then sauntered away from him and his vehicle, feeling the weight of the world lifted off of my shoulders. There was no sadness or remorse; just the sense of pure exhilaration of regaining my freedom.

          Feeling ever-so light, I nearly skipped to the bus station. Just as I was about to wait, a car came to a stop next to me. Brows furrowed in confusion and discomfort, I watched as the window rolled down and the stranger who kissed me appeared with a content grin on his face.

          "I'm guessing that you ditched that jerk?" he asked, as though he knew something.

          I found myself grinning back. "Ditching him has been long overdue."

          He chuckled at my remark. "I'm Taemin, by the way. And you are?"

          Finding myself feeling odd butterflies in my stomach, I said, "Jonghyun."

          "Well, Jonghyun," Taemin said, offering me an even wider grin. "Since we've already kissed and all, I believe us to be past the stranger's level. Why don't I take you home?"

          It was awfully kind-hearted of him to offer. I also didn't want to go home yet. So, as I nodded and slipped into the passenger’s seat, I looked at him. "Maybe we can go somewhere else instead?"

          His response caused my heart to thump in delight. "I kind of hoped you would suggest that."

          As our gazes locked and we both exchanged grins, I felt like today had been a day I would never forget. And it all started with a Kiss Cam.


Annyoung! (ノ*゜▽゜*) I hope you all enjoyed this little dip in romantics. Thank you for reading! O(≧∇≦)O