The Fourth Letter

The Green Envelope

The entire office was buzzing in the early morning when Namjoon came in for work that day. He was still a few steps away from the door but he can already feel that there is a slight commotion happening inside. Curious, he pushed the door and saw that most of the people are crowding a certain area in the office. Particularly, his area in the office. Growing more curious by the second, he took quick long strides until he can see a bundle of brown hair casually sitting on his seat and is busying himself with the little things he have on his desk.

 

"There you are Namjoon!" Someone exclaimed from behind him. The young manager turned his head and found the CEO's secretary looking at him with hopeful eyes. "Why the hell is Jin-hyung here?" The secretary looked really confused about the singer's presence and Namjoon can understand why. Jin rarely showers them with his presence, being a very private person. Also, since the singer prefers to keep his identity a secret to the public, he doesn't really fancy the idea of coming to the company.

 

"I'm not sure but I have an idea." Namjoon answered, keeping his eyes trained to the singer. He was already shaking his head when Jin perked up when someone from behind the crowd declared:

 

"Mail's here!"

 

"That... is why he's here." the tall manager told the secretary.

 

The singer surrounded the poor company staff that was carrying all the letters, too many that they fit in two paper bags. Surprised by the artist's sudden appearance, the man halted and Jin took this as an opportunity to scan the contents of the bag. The corner of his eye saw that lovely shade of green and promptly took it before skipping his way to the door.

 

"Namjoon! You can send the mail tomorrow morning if you still need to sort them out." he smiled at his manager, more than eager to leave at the moment. "Morning Hoseok! Say hi to Yoongi for me." And with that, the ball of brown hair slipped through the door, leaving the entire floor in confusion while Namjoon shook his head.

 

"...uhm what was that?" Hoseok asked Namjoon as soon as Jin was out the door.

 

The door opened again and a blond male entered the office, a lot shorter than the one who just left. The employees regarded him with respect before approaching Namjoon's desk.

 

"I just saw Jin-hyung skipping like a little girl. He even said "Good morning to our young CEO~". The hell was up with that?"

 

"Asked him the same thing, Yoongi-hyung." Hoseok piped up. Even if Yoongi and Hoseok are CEO and secretary, they were friends first, together with Namjoon and Jin, therefore the four of them rarely use any formal and stiff honorifics with each other. They much prefer to keep it simple with what they're used to; regarding each other as "hyung" and "dongsaeng".

 

"Let's just say... he's a bit too eager about receiving a green envelope." Namjoon answered vaguely.

 

The two older men raised their eyebrows but Namjoon offered no further explanation.

 

~*~

 

Hello Jin, this is V.

 

Jin was surprised he managed to hold himself back from opening the letter until he was back in the confines of his own apartment. He was so tempted to just open it in the car but he held back. He wanted to savor the conversation to the fullest. He did wait for more than three weeks for this letter so he needs to be somewhere where no one can disturb him. 

 

"Hello V~ What took you so long this time?" he asked openly. To say that he got impatient was an understatement. Poor Namjoon suffered the short end of the stick with how much he was calling the young manager to inquire if V's letter is yet to arrive. Jin had told his manager the full story about V and why he was so excited to receive the green colored envelopes. Although Namjoon showed more interest over the red haired lad in the photo V sent, than the letter itself.

 

The Philippines is a great place, Jin! 

 

"Is that why your letter took so long?"

 

Yes. This is why my letter took so long. The people here are really friendly. We rode this vehicle that you can't find in Korea or in any other country, I think.

 

"We?" Jin quirked an eyebrow at that. He had always assumed that V is alone in his journeys but now it appears that he had found someone as his companion. That didn't sit well with Jin.

 

Yes. WE. I told you in my last letter that I met this Korean backpacker when I was in Japan. We decided to stick together and travel together since that will be more fun.

 

Jin wasn't finding it fun that's for sure. Why he's being such a brat just because V found a companion, he doesn't know.

 

I took a photo of the vehicle we rode in. They said it's called a "jeepney". It's a lot different from a bus, isn't it?

 

He retrieved the said photo from the envelope and saw the vehicle V was talking about. It was a shot from the side and V was right, there's nothing like it in Korea. He was already starting to smile when he looked at the second photo he found and his lips immediately pressed firm into a thin line. The red haired lad is in the photo. It looks like they're inside the said vehicle. He can feel a certain discomfort with the idea that someone was sharing all these experiences with V. Unlike him who only gets to experience V's adventures through a written letter.

 

Who is this guy anyway?

 

Don't get so jealous now.

 

Over the last three letters, he had grown quite accustomed to V's mind reading powers. Yeah, he's going crazy. But that sentence still took him by surprise and he almost dropped the piece of paper.

 

His name is Jimin by the way. Go and apologize to him right now.

 

Jin uttered a quiet apology to the red haired guy - Jimin - who is currently sporting a peace sign on the picture.

 

You know I would be happy to go on a trip with you if I can, so no need to get jealous over Jimin.

 

That instantly put him in a great mood. Oh how he wish he can meet V, more so now with the idea of going on a trip with him. He just knows it will be a lot of fun since it's more than obvious how much of an adventutous person V is.

 

For now that's not possible so you have no choice but to just read about my trips, with Jimin. Haha. I'm just teasing.

 

At least Jin can now smile again even if V mentions Jimin's name.

 

So we rode on it around the mountain area. We traveled through the rough road and even if the ride was uncomfortable, it was fun feeling the nature... and the heat! Oh gahd! The heat here!!! I'm melting~

 

He chuckled and imagined a man, maybe a couple of years younger than him (he assumed V is someone younger), melting under the intense heat of the sun.

 

I literally had to tie my hair into a man-bun. My bangs were dripping with sweat.

 

Jin really wanted to see that. Maybe even just V's hair. He will be contented with that for now. He felt how unfair it was that he knows Jimin's face, but nothing about V's appearance. He found himself internally complaining about it.

 

What~ You want to see my hair? Thought so~ haha. Be glad because I  suspected this, and because I'm feeling nice I'll let you see it.

 

He reread the sentence and almost couldn't believe his eyes. He's sure he only found two polaroids in the envelope so he doesn't know how V can let him "see" it.

 

You're already thinking how I'll let you see it, huh? 

 

Jin just stared for a while before continuing on.

 

You see, this is a special envelope with a secret compartment.

 

He was already raising his eyebrows but just simply smiled.

 

Stop judging me! Well, I know you were eager, too eager might I say, to read this that I know you missed something in the envelope.

 

Jin held the envelope again, only now noticing something taped on the inside of it.

 

You found it! Congratulations to you! I'll end it here because I know you're too eager to see what you found. I'll write again soon and I'm totally excited for your album release next week! You're not even revealing the title! Stingy! 

No choice for me but to wait for it, then. Bye~

This is V, signing off~

 

As soon as he saw V's familiar way of ending his letters, Jin brought his attention back to the envelope. There is something taped inside it, and by the looks of it, it's another polaroid. Carefully, he removed the tape. He keeps all of V's letters in a neat pile so he doesn't want to ruin either the envelope or the polaroid. After a while of extracting the said photo, he was finally able to see.

 

There was a bundle of brown strands, bangs that cover a forehead along with noticeable streaks of green decorating some of the brown.

 

Jin was incredibly happy. It was far from a face, but it's the closest image of V that he now have. He smiled widely, knowing full well that he must look crazy to anyone right now, but he honestly doesn't care at the moment. He was happy and that's that.

 

He settled his now most prized photo on top of the first album print Namjoon sent him yesterday. He smiled again as he looked at the cover of the album, not regretting how he named this particular release and the song he chose as the title track. He's thrilled to see how V will write to him next time. V can't be the only one with surprises to share. He picked up the letter again, ready to reread it a second time. He gave one more glance over the album title, before revisiting their conversation. 

 

The Pink Rain