Epilogue (Part I)

Flowers in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Flowers in the City EPILOGUE

 

 

 

[Tokyo Central Hospital]

“Mirai, have you read this?”

Shida Mirai turned around when a familiar female voice called her. It was her coworker, one of the nurses in the children ward, who was also her friend since college days.

She smiled as her friend approached her, asking while putting her cardigan on, “What is it?”

She accepted the pamphlet given by her friend. In it, there was an announcement about a volunteer work. The hospital management would like to join in the disaster relief program in Kumamoto, and they were listing the staffs that interested to take apart.

“Want to join?” her friend asked.

She was considering the idea when her friend added, “But Mirai, I also heard Ryusei-sensei has registered for the program.”

Her smile widened slightly, knowing well what her friend wanted to say. Ryo Ryusei was one of the brightest young doctors in their hospital, and also her ex-boyfriend back in college; her first and only, since she had not dated anyone after him.

“Nah, it doesn’t matter,” she nonchalantly replied. “I’m interested to join, but I need to talk with my family first.”

“Ah~ right, I forgot about that,” her friend chuckled in amusement, realizing that Mirai would never do anything without her family's permission.

She bid her friend good night then left the locker room. Outside, the day had turned dark, and she met some coworkers who also just finished their shifts. She walked along with them, talking lightly, then parted ways. As she walked alone, she looked up. She didn’t know since when it started. Whenever she was outside at night, she would take a look at the night sky. The night sky was still the same. Five years ago, she couldn’t see any stars, and at the present, it became even worse.

It’s been five years... She couldn’t help but wander into the past.

Though time had flied fast, the image of that certain man was still vivid in her mind, bringing a touch of melancholy in her days. Yamada Ryosuke.

Ah!

Her brain made an automatic exclaim as she remembered something.

No. He was no longer Yamada Ryosuke, but Tanaka Ryosuke; the current president of Tanaka Mining and Plantation. For a year after he left, she never heard any news about him, but then in the start of second year, his news was everywhere. His ascending as the company’s president was a shock for business world, or at least that was what she read from the news. It was a good shock, though. They called him as a new hope for the company, because long before he got involved in the business he had been well-known as an environmental activist and that image had helped to improve the company’s reputation as well. Many business reviewers also praised his decision about the alteration of the company’s operation. In short, he had established himself, and she was glad to know that.

She finished college three years ago, and had been accepted working in the most credible private hospital in the city. Miyu has graduated from highschool two years ago, and had decided to take care of their family restaurant while enrolling herself in the professional cooking course.

Everything was going well, and she was content with it.

**********

Mirai was hurrying her steps to the director’s office. She was called to meet the hospital director all of a sudden. She knocked on the door and upon receiving permission, she entered the room. She only saw the director twice previously, and she didn’t know what had made him to summon her.

“You are Nurse Shida Mirai?”

She nodded, “Yes, I am. What can I do for you, director?”

His aging face curved up a gentle smile, while gesturing her to sit down. She did as asked.

“There is someone who wants to meet you, Nurse Shida,” he said. “He is on his way here.”

She didn’t have a chance to ponder over the said someone when the door of the office was opened and a man entered.

“Ah, here he is,” the director remarked, standing up.

Mirai followed to stand up and turned around to see the man. Her breath was caught at once. Her surprise was not unreasonable. The man before her was someone she didn’t expect to see.

“Please forgive my intrusion, Shida-san.”

The last time she heard that voice was five years ago.

She turned her head to see a middleage man standing by the door. Recognizing him, she immediately stood up, muttering her greeting, “Kamiya-san?”

“It’s been awhile, Shida-san,” he slightly bowed.

The director approached Kamiya Genzo, lightly speaking, "Take your time. I won't disturb your talk." 

It was as if the director and Kamiya-san were long time friends.

Mirai didn't dwell much in the matter since her attention was soon called by Kamiya.

"Perhaps we could talk while having a coffee in the cafeteria?"

"Oh, sure, but what are we going to talk about, Kamiya-san?"

He smiled, "It's about something I need your help with." Kamiya answered while gesturing to proceed exiting the room.

Mirai wondered but obediently followed the old man.

**********

[Shida Family Restaurant]

"Nee-chan, how long will you go?" Mirai heard her little sister, Shida Miyu, asked when she was packing her stuff.

"It's a three-month-project, but I'll try to go home at least once a month," she answered.

Miyu rolled on the bed, lying on her stomach while her chin propped by her hand, "Why all of a sudden you are given the task to lead the project anyway? You haven't been a year yet working in that hospital, have you?"

She slid the zipper of her totte bag then sitting beside her little sister, slightly teasing, "Guess why."

Miyu thought it for awhile before shaking her head, "I don't have any idea."

She smiled teasingly, then told Miyu, "Kamiya-san

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter