Appa's Day Out

Our Journey Begins Here

(A/n: As I've mentioned before, I've been curious about switching the POV to 3rd person so multiple aspects of the story gets covered. So here we go.)


Today was quite an exciting day for Jonghyun and his sons. Since it had been a while since Jonghyun and the boys had spent some quality time together, Jonghyun decided that instead of spending the day at the movies or the arcade, today would be a day for his sons and himself to talk and bond over the things he'd missed so far in their lives since the last time he'd seen them. 

Though his three month tour wouldn't really be considered a long one in the music world, three months was like a whole year when it came to his kids. He didn't go a day without thinking about them. Before every show he would look at a picture of the two. It was a way for him to calm his nerves before going out to do a two-hour show. 

His boys were actually his muses. They gave him the inspiration to keep going on in life. They were the only connection to Kibum that he hadn't shattered, and he didn't want to make the mistake of missing out on them again. 

So after he'd picked them up from their grandparents' house, Jonghyun had taken them to a pizzeria that he may or may not have remembered was the boys' childhood favorite. He figured if he wouldn't have a chance to enjoy this place with Kibum again, then he could at least create more memories here with his sons. 

After receiving the pizza and breadsticks they ordered, Jonghyun curiously asked, "So how's school?"

"Great!" Jongin said with a mouth full of pizza. 

Jonghyun let out a chuckle. "Don't talk with your mouth full, remember?"

Jongin nodded and swallowed before continuing. "I like my new school. At first I didn't because Taemin wasn't with me, and some people made fun of me because of my darker skin, but umma signed me up with the dance program at school, and I made some new friends."

"Oh, really? School has only been in for two months and you've already made friends? That's my boy! I'm glad that you were able to make friends. Are you still having trouble with people making fun of you? You know I won't hesitate to come up there."

Jonghyun didn't play about his boys. He would go above and beyond to protect his kids, and if it meant that he would have to drive all the way to Jongin's school and show out, that's exactly what he would do.

Jongin quickly shook his head no. "It's ok, appa. Since I joined the dance team, people think I'm cool because they like my moves."

Jonghyun was relieved. "That's great, son. Don't forget to invite me to your shows."

Taemin joined, "Umma signed me up for a dance program at my school too! It's so fun, appa."

"Really? That's great!" Jonghyun leaned over and whispered, "Don't tell your umma I said this, but I hope you guys know you got your dancing genes from me."

Jongin and Taemin looked at each other before laughing out loud as if Jonghyun's statement was the funniest thing they had ever heard. 

Jonghyun frowned, "What's so funny?"

Taemin answered, "You're too old to dance, Appa. You might break your back."

Jonghyun gasped, "Did you just call me old? Am I not cool enough to hang with my cool kids?"

"You're cool, Appa. Just old and cool."

In all honesty, Jonghyun was only 28, an age that's still considered young to most. He found it so hilarious that other kids, teens, and adults would die to have a moment with the Kim Jonghyun, but to his kids, he was just a regular normal dad that was too concerned about being 'cool'. It only made him love his children even more. 

"You guys think you're so funny, don't you? Anyway, Taemin have you made any new friends as well?"

Taemin nodded. "Yes, I'm actually quite popular at my school."

Jonghyun scoffed playfully. "You're only in the sixth grade. What do you know about being popular?"

Taemin laughed, "Well, middle school is different from elementary.  I was the new kid so a lot of people were curious about me."

"Well, take my advice and remember this. Don't let that popularity get to your head, son. I was popular in high school so I know. When Jongin comes to your school next year, I want you two to stick together, ok? No matter where you go or what you do, you're brothers. Understand?"

Taemin nodded as he grabbed a breadstick, "Neh, Appa."

"Same goes for you, Jongin. Always love each other because family is all you're going to have in the end."

Jongin pipes up, "Appa, I have a question."

"Go ahead."

"Since we're talking about family, I want to know why can't we all be together as one family?"

Jonghyun paused, retracting his hand from grabbing another slice of pizza. "What do you mean, bud?"

"I mean why can't everyone be around at the same time? You, umma, dad? You and grandpa always argue. Whenever we're with you, we're alone. I want everyone together, appa. Why can't we do that?"

Jonghyun sighed, as he tried to think of an answer. That was honestly a tough question to answer. It wasn't easy. He couldn't just tell his sons that he and Minho, their dad, couldn't truly get along. That would entail him explaining his rough past with Kibum and he's been trying to avoid that topic, especially since he and Kibum were finally on good terms. 

He looked at Taemin and Jongin before smiling. "It's quite difficult to explain, sport. Just know that everything is ok between us."

Taemin asked, "Are you and dad ever going to be friends?" 

There goes that word again. Dad. It always left a sour taste in Jonghyun's mouth whenever the boys referenced Minho in that way. However, he knew he had no right to be upset. Minho was able to do something Jonghyun never was able to do, which was love Kibum the way he needed to be loved, and be there for that boys more than a few months at a time. 

"Um, well we're not enemies. That's a good thing, right?"

"I guess so. Jongin and I just want everyone together and happy. Is this why you've been gone for so long?"

Jonghyun felt horrible hearing that they thought he'd been gone so long to get away from the family. The truth was he'd been so busy with traveling for his tour that he hadn't had time to come back home too often. This was the first time since the beginning of his tour that he had been able to come back to Seoul for some leisure time. He didn't want Jongin nor Taemin to think that he was purposely avoiding them or the family. 

"Guys, I would never ever leave you two on purpose. You should know that. I've been busy with this tour and I haven't had time to come back and see you. I'm sorry. I'll start doing better, ok?"

Jongin asked, "But what about you, umma, and dad?"

"It's kind of complicated. Just know that umma and appa are good friends and we love each other. We'll always be your parents, so the two of us aren't going anywhere. Minho....we're on the road to becoming friends. Hey, guess what?"

Jonghyun was quick to change the subject. He didn't want to continue on this topic, knowing it would be a downer. 

"What," Taemin and Jongin curiously asked. 

Jonghyun pulled his shirt off of his shoulder to reveal his recently healed tattoo. It was a tattoo of Taemin and Jongin's names with their birthdays in Roman numerals under their own name. 

The boys marveled at the tattoo admiring it. They couldn't believe their dad had actually gotten a tattoo. Their umma would freak at the mention of a tattoo, so they figured their appa was the same way. 

"Wow," Taemin dragged. "You really are cool, appa!"

"Yeah," Jongin chimed, "Umma would never do something like this."

Jonghyun grinned as he remembered how squeamish Kibum became at the mention of any needles making contact with his skin. 

"Did it hurt? When did you get it?" Jongin asked excitedly. 

"I got it while on tour. It was a decision I didn't think twice about because I love you guys so much. I would do anything for you two. This tattoo was something I wanted because I can look at it everyday and be reminded of my two favorite people in the world. And yes, it hurt a bit, but nothing your old man couldn't handle."

Taemin commented, "Do you think umma would let me get a tattoo? I want one."

"Well, you're too young to get one now, but when you're older, much older, I'm sure you'll be able to make your own decision to do that. Tattoos are not for kids."

Taemin grimaced and took a bite of pizza as he mumbled something about the situation being unfair. It caused Jonghyun to let out a hearty laugh that drew some attention to himself, but he didn't care. He missed these types of conversations with his sons. He wouldn't change anything for the world right now. 

While Jonghyun and his two best friends were enjoying their pizza, Kibum was across town trying not to barf up the food he had just eaten with Jinki.  

Surprisingly to Kibum, the date went well and he even enjoyed himself with the older man, but he was beginning to feel nauseous, something he had no control over. He though that since he was in his fourth month of pregnancy, the nausea would've gone away by now, which it did, but sometimes it would creep up on him at the most unexpected times, like now. 

His doctor had told him that it was completely normal and that every pregnancy was different. As Kibum transitioned into his second trimester, he could only hope to say goodbye to nausea and hello to increased appetite. 

Jinki's smile faded as he noticed that Kibum, whose chin rested in his hand as he dozed off into space, wasn't listening to him. "Kibum?"

Kibum quickly snapped out of his thoughts as he answered, "Yeah?"

"Are you not enjoying the date? You've barely touched your food. Look, I know we shouldn't have made a bet on you. That was wrong of me. I'm sorry. I just-"

Kibum quickly waved him off, "It's ok, Jinki. You're a really nice guy and you've been treating me well. I'm just not feeling good right now."

Realization hit Jinki as he said, "Ooooh, is it the baby?"

Kibum nodded as he lightly placed a hand on his stomach, asking the baby to show some mercy on him for once. "I just feel a little sick. I guess the baby isn't agreeing with anything I'm eating right now."

"Maybe it's because we're eating out in this fancy restaurant. I'm sure your baby would much rather be satisfied with other types of food. Do you have anything else in mind that you would like to eat?"

He shook his head. "No, it's fine. Honestly, the thought of food right now has me about to throw up. I'm not hungry right now."

"What about later?" 

Though Jinki was smiling on the outside, he was genuinely concerned on the inside. All jokes aside, Jinki had come to be very close to Kibum and Minho. Though he came up with the idea of him and Kibum having the date, he had promised Minho that he would take care of him, especially since there was another human inside of him. There was no way he was going to let Kibum fall ill on his watch. 

Kibum answered, "I'm pretty sure I'll end up begging Minho for some frozen yogurt on the trip back home. That's in a couple of hours anyway, so my nausea would've subsided by then. Don't worry, Jinki. I'm a big boy. I know how to take care of myself." Kibum ended with a kind smile. He decided to change the subject. "I have a question." 

Jinki raised his brows in surprise at the sudden change of topic. "Go ahead."

"Why are you still single? I mean, you're such a kind guy, you're sweet, funny, and quite cute. What's the hold up?"

Kibum didn't miss the blush on Jinki's cheeks as he asked, "You really think I'm cute?"

Kibum snickered and rolled his eyes. "Yah, answer the question. I know plenty of people who would fall for your charm, yet you're chasing a pregnant married man. I'm very interested in knowing why, Jinki." 

Jinki sighed, taking a sip of his red wine, before answering. "The answer's simple. I'm just too busy. I don't have the time nor effort to put into a relationship. Besides, even if I did, no one would want me anyways."

"What makes you say that? You're adorable-"

"Exactly. I'm adorable. Not hot, not handsome, not y, but ing adorable." 

Kibum was thrown off by Jinki's use of language. In the short time that he's known him, he'd never seen Jinki so vulnerable and vulgar. He had inadvertently struck a nerve in Jinki, and he suddenly became more interested in this conversation. 

Jinki continued, "In high school, I was always the jokester. No one ever took me seriously, so even if I asked someone out, they would laugh and think I'm joking. Or even worse, I would be stuck in the friend zone because to everyone, I was like a brother."

"So you've never dated before?"

"I've dated before, but those relationships never turned into anything serious."

"Well, what about now? You're a famous soccer coach. I'm pretty sure you've had to catch someone's attention."

"That's the problem though. Before I was known, there was no one taking me seriously. However, now that I am who I am, there are people interested in me for the wrong reasons. They either want a shot at the team or my money. It really pisses me off sometimes because someone could genuinely be interested, but I would turn them down in fear of being used."

"But, Jinki, you'll never know until you try. You can't see every person as a gold digging fan. There are some people in this world who don't care about material things. You have to give people a chance or you'll be single for the rest of your life. I'm sure your mother wants grandkids."

Jinki snorted. "I hear it all the time. She and my appa have been pressuring me for the past five years to give them grandchildren."

"So what about your first love? Did you ever experience that?"

"I've experienced infatuations, much like the one I have with you," he ended with a chuckle. "As far as love, I don't think so."

Kibum couldn't help, but feel sorry for Jinki. Here was a guy who was the total package: nice, sweet, caring, funny, etc. However, he had never been able to experience love. Kibum knew there was someone out there for Jinki. There had to be. 

Kibum reached over and Jinki's hand. "Don't worry about it too much, ok? I promise you the right one will come in due time. For awhile, I had thought that I would never find love again after my last relationship, but Minho came into my life and unexpectedly turned everything around for the better. The same can happen to you."

"Eh, I guess you're right. Y'know, I really admire you and Minho's relationship. Out of all my the players I coach on the team, I hear the least amount of problems about you and Minho."

Kibum snickered, "So when you guys are supposed to be practicing on the field, the team's out there gossiping about their spouses?" 

Jinki rubbed the back of his neck, "We have to pass the time by somehow. Some of the team members complain about how much of a their spouses can be. I've even had a team member tell us he cheated on his wife. Trust me, Kibum. When Minho talks about you, it makes the whole team jealous. They marvel at how lucky Minho is to have married you. I agree with them on that."

Kibum tried to hide his smile, but obviously failed, as Jinki relayed this information. He hadn't known that Minho talked about him this much at work. He really thought he was beginning to drive the man away with his crazy antics due to the pregnancy. 

Kibum asked, "So what does he say about me when I'm not around?"

"He always brings up the fact that he loves you. Not a day goes by that I don't hear him say that whenever you're brought up in a conversation."

Kibum's heart melted. "Really?"

"Yes, really. He also brings up your pregnancy a lot. He even cried the other day at the training camp when someone asked about it."

"He....he cried?"

"Yep. He said he couldn't wait to be a father. I asked each member of the team where they saw themselves in five years. Some of the answers were to be richer, own a business, becoming a coach, etc., but you know what Minho said? He said in five years, he couldn't see himself doing anything if it didn't involve you and the kids."

Kibum brought a hand to his mouth to hold back a small gasp. He could already feel the waterworks waiting to be released. "He actually said that?"

Jinki smiled kindly. "He loves you, Kibum. This is why I look up to you guys' relationship. I'm rooting for you two. So don't let me down, ok?"

Kibum nodded and thanked Jinki for telling him that information. It was amazing how even when Kibum was on a date with another man, Minho still managed to make Kibum fall in love with him all over again. 

Needless to say, Kibum grew excited when Jinki pulled into Kibum's parents' driveway to drop him off. He basically ran out of the car and to the house to see Minho. After knocking, Minho opened the door with a big smile. 

"Welcome back. How was your da-"

Kibum silenced Minho with a passionate kiss that had them both seeing stars. Though he was thrown off, Minho kissed back with equal force, excited to have some type of intimate contact with Kibum. 

Kibum pulled away first leaving them both breathless and wanting more. Minho was first to break the silence with a breathy chuckle. "What has gotten into you?"

"I love you," Kibum pecked Minho's lips. "I love you so much, honey."

Minho gripped Kibum's hips. "Hm, I like this side of you. Should I send you out with Jinki more often so you can come back loving me more?"

Kibum snorted. "Haha, really funny. This date just made me realize how lucky I am to have you and how much you mean to me."

Minho pecked Kibum's cheek. "You mean a lot to me too, baby. You and our little one that's coming soon."

Kibum looked up into Minho's eyes for awhile before smiling and diving into another deep kiss that made his toes curl. He wrapped his arms around Minho's neck as Minho tightened his hold around Kibum's waist. 

However, before they could get too carried away, they heard Taemin's, "Ew!" and quickly pulled away. "Get a room you two!"

Minho and Kibum burst out laughing as they looked at Taemin's mortified face. "Nice to see you too," Kibum said sarcastically. 

Minho joined, "You won't think it's so gross when you're older. Anyway, we should be getting ready to hit the rode. Let's go say goodbye to grandma and grandpa."

Taemin ran off with Jongin to say farewell to their grandparents. Minho and Kibum walked hand-in-hand into the kitchen where the grandparents were hugging and kissing the boys, promising they would visit them soon. 

Kibum's dad spotted him and engulfed him into a big hug. "It was nice seeing you again, son."

Kibum hugged back with the biggest grin on his face. "Yeah, even though you're crazy, I had a lot of fun, appa. I'll see you soon, ok? You too, umma. I love you guys."

Before long, the family of four crammed into their car and were on their way back to their new home as one family, but not before stopping by a frozen yogurt shop for Kibum. 



I hope you guys enjoyed! Let me know what you think.