Surprising Comeback

My Best Friend

Wheesung

A flash of light.

My eyes shot open and I found myself breathing heavily. It took me awhile to realize it was just a dream but the unfamiliar environment told me otherwise. The slightest movement of my neck caused me pain so instead, I took in what my field of vision allowed me to. White ceiling, white walls. To my right was a window; it was night time outside. Last I remembered was being on my way home in a cab from the airport, early in the morning, when a truck... oh gosh, where is he? Hyung- I snapped my head to the left, letting out a grunt of pain. I quickly hold it in after seeing Mom asleep on a chair. I suddenly felt the soreness all over my body, especially on my right side. I tried to raise my hand to my neck to massage it but see that my arm was wrapped in a cast. I switched to my left instead but it was held down by something. A hand. Taking a deep breath, I raised my head to look over the lump of blanket to see a peaceful sleeping face. Her face. My neck started to strain so my head dropped back onto the pillow as I waited for the pain to cease.

As if on cue, she woke up and it took her a moment to take in her surroundings. She peered down to her hand that was holding down mine and looked up at me.

"Hey, sleepyhead," I heard my voice crack into a squeak. "Long time no see."

She flashed me her smile, the one I haven't seen in two years, which I now realized I missed so much. It only lasted a second when her face was replaced with worry. "You're awake. You're awake! Are you okay? How are you feeling? Of course you're not okay. Just hold on one second, let me call the nurse."

Before she could take off, I grabbed her hand then laughed. I immediately shushed myself and she gave me a confused look. I directed my gaze toward my mom. "I'm okay... just give me 5 minutes. Can you help me sit up though?"

I struggled to get up even with help and groaned in pain. I desperately wanted to stretch my whole body but was glad to feel that some of my strength was slowly returning, however, I still failed to sit up and remained laying down. "So how have you been Ailee?" I asked as she scooted her chair closer to me so I could see her face without lifting my head.

Her lips curved up slightly on one side but I can tell she was trying to keep a straight face. "It's been awhile since I've been called that but... I could be better, if someone didn't get hit by a truck."

"That's what happened?" I asked, thinking back to that flash of light that woke me up.

"I was worried sick when I heard the news! I didn't even know you were coming back," Ailee said sadly.

"I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Well you definitely made a surprising comeback." I sensed some bitterness behind her words and I don't blame her. Growing up together, never apart like siblings, she was my best friend. After my first year of university, I decided to study abroad and instead of returning home during breaks, I went travelling with a friend. I regretfully had stopped the emails and phone calls with my best friend.

"I don't know what I would do if you-" She paused after noticing her voice was raising, shaking, and took a deep breath.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't leave the world without saying good bye to you first," I joked, hoping to somewhat lighten the mood.

"I'm serious, Oppa. I heard the taxi driver didn't make it."

"What?" I asked in shock. Ailee went on to explain what she heard. I was astonished to find out that I was unconcious for almost a week. She only knew about the accident a day ago after she got back from a road trip with some friends to celebrate their graduation. Apparently the truck driver was busy on his phone and ran the red light, ramming into the taxi. The taxi driver didn't make it and the truck driver's family are currently trying to handle some matters to compensate for the loss.

"What about my friend? Hyung Soo. He was in the taxi with me, in the front." I was afraid to hear her answer considering what happened to the driver.

"Your friend? I didn't know you came back with a friend. Hyung..." Ailee shook her head.

I felt a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. I closed my eyes, praying he was okay, hoping he survived the crash. He had to be. I wanted to ask Ailee to ask a doctor but I heard my breath shaking, unable to say a word.

"Oh wait, Hyung Soo. Kim Hyung Soo?"

I in a breath. "Yes, Kim Hyung Soo. Is he okay?"

Ailee giggled, confusing the heck out of me. We're talking about a life and death situation here!

"It makes so much sense now! I just thought it was a guy Min Jung met in the hospital. From what I heard about him through her, she's totally head over heels for him."

I initially felt relief but also wasn't sure how to react to this news and was sure my face showed it because Ailee bursted out in laughs that she failed to hold back. "What'd she say?"

"I can't tell you," Ailee said and raised her hand as if she was taking an oath. "Girl's honour."

"Girl's honour my a-" I stopped after my attempt to whack her hand away left me in pain. "Anyways, I'm relieved to hear that he's alright."

Ailee remained silent and let out a sigh. "I don't think his family knows that he's back. Min Jung has been his only visitor so far." She shook her head in defeat. "What is it with you guys?"

I knew we were back on a sensitive topic so all I could manage was, "I'm sorry." The more apologetic I felt, the more glad I was that she was in front of me.

"It's okay," Ailee softly whispered. "For now. I'll temporarily let it go because you're injured."

"Why thank you." I smiled at her and she did the same. Then it suddenly crossed my mind, processing what she said. "Hold on. Why is Min Jung visiting him? I'm her brother."

"She visited you today then went to see him after. Hee Sun Unnie picked her up around 10pm."

The fact that my baby sister was interested in my friend was... weird.

"Min Jung isn't a little girl anymore, Oppa," Ailee stated, as if she read my mind. A silence followed but seconds later, Ailee smiled as she continued. "Everyone is back. Our dads came home three days ago and your sister drove out here after hearing about your accident. With three kids, she decided to stay home and wait for your news there."

"Hey, on the bright side, I brought the whole family back!" I let out an awkward laugh as Ailee glared at me.

She sighed and looked back at Mom. "She has been crying her eyes out, afraid that you weren't going to wake up. She must be so exhausted if she's sleeping through all this talking."

"Just let her rest. I'm better now and will be better when she wakes up in the morning." Ailee nodded in agreement.

"So... you've been here all day long? Is it you that I smell?" I joked, earning myself a jab in the side. I jerked in pain and Ailee bolted up from her chair to check on me, causing her chair to screech behind her. Mom woke up in a panic and once she realized I was awake, she bombarded me with the same questions Ailee asked earlier.

I answered her questions with a greeting instead. "Hi, Mom." She was close to tears; I could hear it by her breathing. Mom hugged me tightly, mumbling into my ear how relieved she felt that I was finally awake.

"Ladies, I'm okay! Just look at me!" I directed their attention to my toes and wiggled them. "I'm fine!"

They both sighed like they were done with me. Mom straightened up and Ailee commented on how I have not changed one bit. "You know you missed me," I said.

Mom shook her head and laughed. "I'm going to get the nurse and call your sister."

As mom left, Ailee sat down by my side again. Silence followed as we looked at each other.

"I missed you Oppa. Glad to have you back," Ailee whispered.

"Happy to be back. I missed you too." I opened my hand and she held it. "There's so much I want to tell you."

"Well I can't wait to hear them. I'll come visit you every day!"

"That's nonsense. Go have fun with your friends; don't waste your time here. I'll probably be discharged tomorrow anyway. Come over when you're free."

Ailee frowned but before she could say anything, mom returned with a doctor and nurse. The doctor greeted me and gave me a run down of my condition. The major injury I received was a broken arm with a few minor injuries that would heal with time. Now that I was conscious, he wanted to give me a brain scan to make sure everything was alright. The doctor requested everyone to leave so that he could do a quick check up.

"Mom, get Ailee home. You both go get some rest and come back in the morning. I'm in good hands now," I said, looking at the doctor. 

Mom seemed reluctant to leave but she knew me. She agreed and urged Ailee to go. Ailee popped her head back in a second after leaving and behind the backs of the doctor and nurse, she danced a short and silly routine, ending with a fist pump and mouthing 'Oppa, Wheeee-aiting~!' I couldn't hear what the nurse was instructing me because I had this surge of energy, of happiness.

It was nice to be back. I was happy to be back.