Necromancy

Petrichor

 

 

 

Necromancy (n.)
- Practice of communicating with the dead.

 

 

It was unusual for me to have a friend that I can rely on and have fun with. I’ve been alone for the rest of my life and I even didn’t think of having one. I think I am contented having them right now. I cannot ask more. After weeks had been passed, I think I already knew their personalities.

For Taeyong, he is a tsundere. He looks cold outside and he can cuss 100x a day but really. He’s gentle and he’s the cutest guy you can see in your class. He’s playful and sweet but that sweetness, he don’t like to express it to be obvious.

Jaehyun on the other hand is the opposite of Taeyong. He looks quiet and he’s always smiling. No wonder why everyone is falling on his charms. He’s kind, but even though other guys are saying he’s fake, I don’t really care. For me, he’s not, and he will never be.

 

This two have been telling me that they’re having a dreams every night but it was incomplete. For Taeyong, he said that everyone is against him but he doesn’t know why. For Jaehyun, he said that he’s following a guy but he doesn’t know who it is or why. Dreams might be weird for them, but for me it isn’t.

 

It is the connection of my past, and I have the need to know the meaning behind it.

 

REM sleep is when your eyes are having a fast movement, and your brain activity increases. This is the stage when you’re dreaming and this happens 90 minutes after you fall asleep.

 

Why do we dream, is still a mystery.

 

 

 

 

It’s dark.

 

“Ten....”

 

He’s calling my name again..

 

I feel like my seat is shaking. Where am I?

Ah.. I’m inside the plane. Mom is sleeping, dad is watching a movie, Tern. Tern is sleeping as well. It’s 2am why I’m still awake?
“Ten... Soon... I know you can do it...” A voice echoed in my mind.

 

The plane jolted after I heard a loud explosion. There was also a smell of burning machinery or a metal-sort of. I looked at the window to assess the situation and all I can see is darkness.

‘Ladies and gents, This is the captain. Passengers are advised to wake up, and brace for impact.. Everyone is advised to remain calm. Adopt the brace position in preparation for an unscheduled landing.'

Remain calm they said....

Everyone gasped and I heard others screaming as the lights went flickering. The seat belts made a sound and everyone is panicking. I started thinking about my family. It really feels I’m going to die. This could be it.

 I wake my mom to tell that we’re crashing in the ocean. My adrenaline fueled as I wake her up and as she opens her eyes, she kept on reading the instructions. But

 

 

 

it’s too late.

 

 

 

It felt like it was the worst car crash you could ever imagine. We’ve bumped our head into something hard and for a second, I lost my consciousness. I saw the passengers with their nose bleeding, and even heads because of the impact. There are people yelling inside, everywhere. They’re crying for help. I’m stuck here. I can’t breathe. I can’t even move. As I saw the plane sinking, I think of my family and the possibilities we’re really going to die....

 

Or maybe not.

 

 

“Ten.. Do not wake up.” He’s calling me again. The voice is echoing in my mind right now as I’m struggling to breathe. The air outside is cold and it is very dark. I’m scared.

 

 

 

Someone... Please...

 

 

A guy at the same age as me was coming. He nodded when I signaled him that I need help. Until I became dizzy. My head starts to be painful and my eyes are already blurry; I can’t see his face.
As I feel like my heart going to explode, I’ve slept.

 

 

“Ten..”

 

Ten.. Is the last word I heard before I slept.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I woke up from a deep sleep. I stared at the sky and it is still dark. Stars are scattered on it, and the moon is so big it looks like a plate. I noticed I was holding something and as I open my hands, I saw the charm that the old lady gave me. Oddly, her voice echoed in my mind, ‘You’re starting to grow.’ And I wonder what she means.

 

 

 

Wait.

 

 

Did I---

 

I quickly flipped the pages of my notebook. Here, every dreams that I remembered were written. They said, if your dreams form a pattern, it has something to convey. I know it’s not a random thing. I feel like I’ve finally completed the pieces in the puzzle. I don’t usually read my dreams and analyze it. After I wrote a certain dream, I don’t feel like reading it anymore, because it feels unreal and impossible.

I decided to read it now because I think the dream I’ve had was the part that I was waiting for.

 

 

First dream: A girl named Tern and a flashback of memories appeared. It was good. A guy has a happy family.

Second dream: The guy saw a lady crying and an old guy was comforting her.

Third dream: Schooling in Thailand. I don’t know what school it is and I don’t remember schooling in it. But I’m sure it’s in Thailand because of the language.

Fourth dream: The guy has been on a flight but I don’t know the flight name.

Fifth dream: This time, I’ve been on a random flight but this time I’m with everyone.

Sixth dream: I’ve been on a flight with everyone and it crashed. I woke up.

Seventh dream:

 

 

“Seventh dream, A guy saved me inside the plane after it crashed. I don’t know what is his name.”

 I’m contented. It ends here.

 

 

The boy on my first to fourth dream must be me. If I’m going to connect everything...

 

 

“Sht, what is this.”

 

I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseated. I can’t see everything. I can’t breathe properly. My eyes are blinded, my ears are only hearing a high pitched sound that is deafening. I can’t scream even if I want to. My head hurts like hell and I want to puke. I want to scream, I feel like dying.. and everything..

 

 

 

Everything..

 

Is in a flashback.

 

 

I gasped for air as I leaned my back on the side of the bed and choked everything out. My vision is turning back to normal but it’s still blurry. My sweat is dripping down from my neck to my chest and as I’m gaining my consciousness,

 

 

I’ve realized that I can remember almost everything.

 

That I’m the main character in my dreams.

 

That I’m Chittaphon Leechaiyakul, born in Thailand, got into a luxurious school. My mom had a conflict with her boss and got fired, so we need to earn money for our tuitions and bills. We plan to go to Korea since my grandmother is here. But, I got into a plane crash with my parents, and only I survived accident.

 

 

Everything... seems clear to me just now.


I got a Retrograde Amnesia due to a trauma which is the plane crash, but, I’m definitely curious about the guy whispering in my head not to wake up and complete my dream? Is it my conscience?

 

Plus, the guy inside the plane that rescued me. Did he really save me from that accident?

 

How the F I got here in Korea and with this house?

 

Things are getting complicated the more I think of it. It’s stressing.

 

I can’t go back to sleep now at this state. Thinking just how my life is messed up, I’m glad that I never think of suicide. I have no parents, I have no friends to tell my problems, I have a miserable life, and I don’t know how to live again. How. How did I not thought of suiciding. Why do I feel like I need to continue my life and not end it here?

I guess, depression is my middle name.

 

 

 

I’ve slept for like an hour, I didn’t notice I’ve slept in the floor. I fixed my bed after I stood up. The sun is rising and the birds are already chirping. It’s my to go to school. My eyesight seems to be a bit clearer now compared what I had last night. My hearing is already normal and I don’t hear any high pitched disturbing sound anymore. I’m just starting a normal day. Starting it with sleepy eyes.

 

After I’m done with the basics, of course cleaning the house, bathing, eating breakfast, I decided to go to school early and sleep there. It’s only 6:15am and our class will start like 8am? I need sleep.

 

Shivering, I took my jacket inside the closet. I almost forgot this important thing I should be bringing everyday. The fog here is what making the atmosphere cold, I think.
I am in the intersection and still the fog is not fading away. I searched for the store that we have visited last last week and I saw that it was closed and it would open later at 9. I think this charm helped me to finish my nightmare. Now that I know who am I and what happened before I lost my consciousness in the ocean, I feel alive, but somehow still feel incomplete. I really need to find things concerning about me. I need to know the things that happened after I went to sleep.

 

“Hey.”

 

“What.” I’ve memorized their voices. It is Taeyong who is behind me. I don’t bother looking back for him. My neck hurts because of that 1 hour sleep I had. “Why you’re so early?” I asked. He’s still following me.

 

“It’s school fest.”

 

So here in this school there are like 2 important occasions that you have to look forward for. First is this school festival. It’s like an opening ceremony of the school as well because of the first month of classes. I think the principal didn’t want us to be stressed since it’s only our first month here. The clubs are recruiting temporary members to help them with a certain jobs like giving fliers, be a waiter for a cafe, scaring at horror house, and those who are recruited will have grades and certificates of participation in return. “Jaehyun must be participating right now.” I said.

Taeyong shook his head in disagreement. “He won’t do it without us.”

 

 

Weeks have just passed but we’re already closed to each other. Taeyong is there to spice things up when someone is calling me a corpse. Jaehyun is there to help me in academics. I feel blessed to have this two.

 

“What clubs you’re going to work at?” Jaehyun suddenly appeared beside me and I knew he ran for him to catch us up. He’s panting.

My chest tighten once again. It’s been my sickness ever since I got here in Korea. Maybe I got a weak heart after the accident. But..

 

I’m only having attacks when I’m with this guy.

 

“Ah.. I think I’ll go for-- 100meter race? How ‘bout you? Basketball?” Taeyong asked.

 

“Ah. No. I’m still thinking about the coffee shop. How ‘bout you?” He stared at me. My eyes quickly shifted direction and stared on the ground instead. I feel like Taeyong is noticing my rapid eye movements whenever Jaehyun is around.

 

“Ten is going to find a coin on our way. WHERE ARE YOU LOOKIN’ AT BOY.”

 

“I’M THINKING CAN’T YOU SEE.” I don’t get it why I’m like this. “Ah! I’m going to the horror house to work there.” I smiled at Taeyong and he was like ‘eew’.

 

“As a corpse? YOU’RE GOING TO BE BULLIED.” Jaehyun gasped. “No way.”

 

“No. I’d like to take on revenge for those who are calling me corpse. I want them to be scared until they passed out.” I clenched my fists as I smiled devilish.

 

“Taeyong style. You’re getting badass right now, Ten.” Jaehyun whispered. Taeyong then giggled, and ran and Jaehyun followed. I have no choice but to ran as well but everyone is screaming because of fear. I wonder why? I’m just running. It’s not like I’m a cockroach flying or what.

 

“COME ON, TEN, SWAY YOUR ARMS! IT’S CREEPY TO SEE YOU RUNNING WITHOUT SWAYING YOUR ARMS!” Ah. Maybe that’s why.

 

You know, It’s because I don’t know why my body is stiff when I’m with you. It’s your fault..

 

 

We ran until we’re in front of the gate. I am the one who got first in the line and they’re shocked to see I’m that fast. “You should be on the 100 meter race. Not me.” Taeyong praised, as he scratched his back like a grandpa. “Hey where’s the tattoo?” He asked.

 

“Tattoo?”

 

“On your nape. I’ve been noticing a 3D stitch wound-tattoo on your nape but I don’t see it anymore. That tattoo is long! Starting from your nape down to your spine I think. But I haven’t saw the whole thing. Only the nape part. Where is it? You removed the tattoo? It was cool though.”

 

“Maybe he only removed the nape part but the one that extends on the back might still be there.” Jaehyun shrugs his shoulders.

 

Taeyong grabbed my collar and I stumbled. I lost my balance but Jaehyun held my arms. “AHHHH! IT’S HERE. IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE A WOUND THAT WAS STITCHED! IT’S DARN COOL.” Taeyong screamed and everyone stared at us. He’s very loud when his friends are around.

 

“Really? But...

 

I don’t remember having a tattoo.” Jaehyun and Taeyong looked at me strangely. They don’t believe me. “It’s strange. You haven’t seen this yet?” Taeyong asked.

 

“I’m not looking at the mirror that often. Plus, I don’t have a huge mirror at home so I don’t know I have one. Is that really a tattoo or just?”

 

“It’s a tattoo. It doesn’t look like a real stitch though. If it’s a real stitch and you don’t remember having a trauma, then it’s a tattoo.” Jaehyun grabbed my bag that fell.

 

“I’ve been on an accident before, but that’s-- like, I’m-- 14? 13? I’m 18 now.” Taeyong scratched his neck, annoyed because of the topic.

 

“IT’S A TATTOO. STOP THINKING ABOUT A DARN TATTOO MAYBE YOU GOT IT WHEN YOU WERE A CHILD. OKAY. BYE.” Taeyong ran once again. He’s definitely on hype because of the school festival.

 

But I really don’t remember getting a tattoo. Maybe before we went on a plane? I just don’t remember having one?

 

“But why it faded if Ten is not doing anything...” Jaehyun whispered.

 

“Yes, you’re right.”

 

“AH SORRY!” He snapped out of confusions. “I’m just curious. It’s weird. It’s very weird.

 

“Maybe it faded over time. Nothing lasts forever you know.” I laughed and he agreed. We headed ourselves inside, and as we got through, girls are running towards Jaehyun.

“Hi! Can you please be our waiter for our cafe?” Nah.

“Hi! Can you please participate in one of our plays, you’ll be the prince.” The heck.

“Hi! Can you please be the vampire in our horror school later?” I should be the one.

“Hi! You should participate in the modelling if you’d like.” Jaehyun must.

“Jaehyun! Since you’re genius, please participate for the spelling bee!” Hmm.. Yeah?

 

Ah these girls. They only want Jaehyun to be in their clubs because they want to see him transform into a better guy. I mean Jaehyun is the best, but they want him to be the best’est’ so that the outsiders will be interested in their rooms, especially women. It can’t be helped.

“I want to try being a waiter, but only if you would accept this guy to be the vampire in the horror fest later. Vampires will be the last boss in your maze right?”

 

“Yes.” The other clubs felt hopeless and left. Only these two clubs are in front of us right now. “The horror fest starts late though, is it okay for him?” The pretty girl asked, but she has this 'not contented face'.

 

“I don’t want to force you to accept him.” Jaehyun noticed it.

 

“NO HE’S PERFECT. I mean--” Is that an insult or a compliment? Why do I feel like it’s a compliment though. I smiled at her and after that she gasped, leaving open. “You’re----

 

Pretty.”

 

Jaehyun laughed loudly. I’M PISSED WITH THE WORLD WHY THEY’RE CALLING ME PRETTY. She grabbed my arms and the girl in the maiden cafe, grabbed Jaehyun’s arms as well. I should participate in the coffee shop instead of this.
“Wow, I guess you don’t like this.” The girl sighed. “Do you really want to participate in this horror fest or no? You kept your eyes fixated on Jaehyun.” I shook my head rapidly, denying the fact that I’m looking at him. “Okay, look, you’re pretty enough for this. Don’t smile at me.”

 

“I’m not smiling.”

 

“Goodness so, you’re the ones they’re calling corpse? Darn, they don’t know how handsome you are. Look, you could really be a vampire in our horror maze, and since you look perfect for that coffee shop, I wouldn’t let you go.”
I understand. I also think I wouldn’t focus on my job when Jaehyun is around so I’ll reject the offer if she wants me to go as well.

“A vampire is not smiling. Well, they are. BUT IN YOUR CASE, NO. I don’t want my customers to fall in love with you, okay? My name is Seolhyun. Head of Science Club, nice meeting you. Here are my recruits and members.”

 

They stepped back after they saw me. They know me of course. I’m popular in this school but in a bad way. “Since we have some time, I’ll explain to you guys what you need to portray as and how they move. I want this to become more realistic than the plays.”

 

 

Inside a tent, outside the building, she discussed about my movements and how should I portray. “Rigamortis is the stiffening of the body accompanying a depletion of adenosine triphosphate in the muscle fibers. You must move like a fast zombie instead of vampires in Twilight and such. Imagine you’re body is stiffening but you want to be fast so you’re going to stretch your muscles and catch the prey. DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND.”

 

Actually no, I don’t. Adenosine what? Rigamortis what? I at biology and she’s explaining me some asdfghjkl things and it makes me confused more. I’ll do what I want. It’s my life anyways. This .

 

 

 

 

 

The sun went down and the moon shifted. It’s a full moon. I’m somewhat scared because the horror game’s location is in the huge garden behind this school. There is forest like place in our school and it was made as a lounge, but the trees are creepy so the science team took this place. “Are you familiar with the game slenderman? This is just a hide and seek game. Ghosts are advised to hide and appear when the victim comes. There are notes in the trees, those are the questions, and they need to get the flags at your back. In the flags, the answers are written. They must get the note first before the flag. The one who got the complete notes and flags will win. Okay. Ten, you’re the last one that will scare the victim. You see, at the back part of this forest there is a pond. Go there and hide.”

 

 

I went right through the pond. I want to hide underwater but it will ruin my make up so I decided to sit behind the bushes to hide. I felt the wind became cold and the eerie silence makes me nervous.

 

Hour passed and I saw fireworks in the sky. I think the school fest has officially ended. It ended without me seeing Jaehyun the whole day. I only have one flag and one note to stick in the tree. The students who crossed my path are so scared to see me so I just put the flags in front of them. I don’t want to get tired as well.

 

I feel so lonely here.

 

“Can I get my flag?” It was a random guy.

 

“I don’t have one anymore. You won.” I was clenching it tightly. I’m shivering.

 

“Sorry I’m late.”

 

 

It’s him.

 

 

Wearing a pilot costume, it fits perfectly to him. He was shining in darkness. “What took you so long?”

 

“The girls.”

 

“What?”

 

“They want me to follow them.”

 

“How did you catch them up?”

 

“I pulled their hair.”

 

WHAT?! JUNG JAEHYUN PULLING GIRLS’ HAIR? “Are you even serious right now? I don’t feel laughing.” I smiled but actually I want to laugh. “It’s quiet isn’t it?” I nodded to what he says. The stars are powdered in the sky, glittering just like the person right next to me. He’s like the star, and I’m the darkness. He lights me up but we’re not compatible.

 

 

I’m a corpse, he’s a necromancer.

 

Every minute that is passing is a treasure. Seeing him is a gift and cure to my loneliness.

 

'I've fallen in love with you.'  If only I can say that line. But it can’t be helped.

 

He held my hand.. His hand is warm, mine is cold.
For me, it’s everything. For him, it’s nothing.

I want to cherish this moment for after I wake up, it will be just a normal memory. I want to look him in the eyes and tell him that I love him. Even though, I know I can’t. If only I have the courage to say everything in my heart.

 

If only I have the right.

 

“Did you ever fall for someone?” I randomly asked.

 

The wind stopped blowing cold and he crickets became quiet.

 

 

“I’m falling in love with someone right now.”

 

 

My eyes shifted it’s direction after he said that. I removed my hands from him as I smiled weakly and awkwardly. “She’s very lucky!” I said. He smiled back.“Here’s your flag! I’m-- I gotta go! Seolhyun must be mad hehe.”

 

 

I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I want my tears to be dissolved by the cold air. My heart was torn into pieces. He's the cure but I feel like he's making it worse. My back feels like it's burning but even though I don't know why, I still kept on running because I thought, this was the only way to run from reality. My knees felt weak so I tripped and fell, but I was surprised that someone caught me. It was Taeyong.

 

He’s forcing his smile. I can see. “W-where is Jaehyun?”

 

But I don’t feel the guts to answer. I just want to sleep. For this memory to be forgotten.