[III]

Fool [discontinued]

Let's Call it a Day


 

“Are you sure this is okay,” Doyoung whispers as he watches Ten and Taeil get passes. Personally, he's only been to the amusement park a handful of times, always with his older brother, but he's a little iffy coming with the members. He looks around the crowded area apprehensively and says, “won't people recognize us?”

 

Jaehyun snorts causing Doyoung to gently slap the younger boy's arm. It's a common concern so he doesn't understand why the singer is just so blasé about it. Now that Doyoung thinks about it, why was he the only one worried about fans chasing after them? Sure, they weren't on EXO popularity level, but with the way Mark is shouting it's only a matter of time before they gain some attention. The red-head's so caught up in his own world he doesn't realize Jaehyun is leading him to the entrance until he feels an arm sling around his shoulders.

 

Blinking his daze away, Doyoung looks at Taeyong's slightly flushed cheeks and eyes that won't meet his own. Jaehyun whines about something and Ten rolls his eyes.

 

“What's going on,” Doyoung whispers to an ever exhausted Taeil.

 

The eldest, who always looks ready to beat them up, shakes his head, “We're trying to see who will go with who.”

 

Doyoung let's out a small 'oh' as he watches the three foreigners bicker with each other. Really, they've already split into groups so he fails to see the reason why the trio are still squabbling.

 

“I want to go with Doyoung,” Ten whines and if looks Jaehyun's looks could kill no doubt the Thai dancer would be dead one-hundred times over.

 

Wait, Doyoung freezes, are they arguing over him? The red-head darts his eyes around their tiny group and blushes furiously when he sees women whispering amongst themselves along with parents of tiny children. “Mommy, are they a couple,” Doyoung overhears one child inquire innocently. The mother flushes and chastises the deer-eyed boy as they disappear into the amusement park. Suddenly, the arm wrapped around his shoulder feels heavier than it should be. He slips out of Taeyong's grasp with little resistance, but the blonde's features fall slightly. As two more minutes pass and the are still arguing about how to split up (Mark doesn't seem keen on not being without Doyoung either) the singer decides to put a rest it the petty quarrel before Taeil bursts a blood-vessel. And judging from the short males very red face, he thinks it won't take very long.

 

“Okay you three,” Doyoung interrupts with a slightly amused but mostly weary sigh, “since you're acting like kids you go together and I'll stay back with the hyungs.”

 

Immediately Jaehyun protests but Mark seems a little too happy at the brunette's expense as he drags the older boys away. Taeyong blinks at their disappearing forms before turning to the two left; his head's cocked slightly to the side and bottom lip disappearing between his teeth.

 

“Will they be okay on their own?”

Taeil shrugs as he leads the other two into the park, “They're young, they can outrun fans.”

 

Taeyong and Doyoung share a look of concern before they quickly follow after the eldest.

 

The smell of seafood and salt wafts in the air as the sound of waves crash against the pier. Doyoung mildly wonders why the members chose a sea-side amusement park but quickly thinks it was Mark's idea when he sees the large rides. Metal shines as shouts of children crowd the large space. Doyoung looks around the open path, anxiety already speeding up as the maknae line and Ten are out of sight. “Dotokki, over here,” Taeil shouts with a wave of his arm.

 

A small blush spreads across Doyoung's pale cheeks as he ambles across the path to a directory. He's long since accepted his resemblance to a bunny, embraces it even when it comes to fans, but hearing that nickname makes him want to scream. He is a man gosh darn'it, not an animal. Of course, that's what Doyoung wants to say but he finds it hard to speak coherently when it's just Taeil and Taeyong with him. He wonders if he should have just went with the maknae and risk the chance of going on too many rides than the awkward air surrounding the two eldest.

 

“What ride do you guys want to go on,” Taeil hums as he squints at the coloured board.

 

Taeyong scrunches his face in slight disdain, “nothing too fast.

 

“That, like, cancels out more than half of the rides.” Doyoung doesn't mean to whine but he can't help it.

 

Slight irritation flashes across Taeyong's face but as fast as it comes it goes. The elder tugs Doyoung ito his arms, much to Taeil's displeasure, and rests his chin against the gentle slope of the red-head's neck. “Okay, fine, one ride, but after that I'm sitting out,” the blonde grumbles, his hot breath fanning across Doyoung's skin causing the singer to squirm.

 

“Okay you two, let's get going unless you want to cause a scandal,” Taeil replies with a subtle smirk. As he walks into the direction of the largest ride, perhaps to just spite Taeyong, he leaves behind a red faced and spluttering Doyoung.

 

Of course, the ride Taeil leads the duo to looks like it would kill them. It's one of those viking boat rides that rocked on a pivot, but instead of one boat there were two. Meaning, something horrible could go wrong like both of the boats running into each other, or maybe the ride swings too hard and the boat falls or—Doyoung gulps. When he thought of a ride he thought it would be a regular roller-coaster. He peeks up at Taeyong through his fringe. The rapper looks impassive as usual, but there's an air of restlessness as he regards the ride. Taeil turns back to throw a bright grin at them, head lolling back to the ride as if to say 'well?'.

 

Doyoung has pride but he's not stupid. Taeyong, on the other hand despite his reverse charm (ie. looking like an mysterious cold guy but is an actual dork) has a surprising amount of pride. He blames the older member’s stubbornness on the fact he and Jaehyun spend too much time together.

 

So, really, whatever happens after this is totally Jaehyun's fault.

 

“Alright, we'll ride this,” Taeyong states as he breezes pass the shorter man, arms crossed as he waits in line.

 

“I wonder what the other members are doing...?”

 

Tail clicks his tongue, “Probably dying on some ride.”

 

As the line moves at an agonizingly slow pace, Doyoung has time to monitor their performance on stage. He turns the volume all the way down, not wanting the two so called 'grandpas' knowing what he's doing, as he presses the play button. Honestly, Doyoung prefers performing 'Without You' better than '7th sense' because he wasn't much of a dancer. He loves singing, adores it, but only recently has gotten into dance. So it makes sense that the comments for 7th Sense focus on the other members. Doyoung's a vocalist, he doesn't really fit the song, and even though Jaehyun is a singer as well, he does a better job at blending in.

 

Doyoung realizes attention can't be divided equally when it comes to fans. There's always someone who's under-appreciated or doesn't get enough attention. His throat dries as he starts to read the comments.

 

All the members deserve love and attention; he isn't envious. In fact, Doyoung's glad that he is the only one left behind, and rightfully so. His voice is a little too high-pitched, nasally. It doesn't have the deep resonance as Jaehyun nor the smooth power of Taeil. And his dancing is passable at best, nothing compared to Ten or Taeyong.

 

“Doyoung-ah, we're going on.” Taeil's soft voice breaks Doyoung's self-pitying trance. He shakes his head, slipping his phone back into his pocket, and gets on the ride.

 

“After this I get to choose a ride,” Taeyong grunts as Taeil scoots him over to the edge of the boat to make room for Doyoung. As the bar goes down, locking them in their seat, Doyoung grips the handles in anticipation. The ride starts off tame at first, small rocks back and forth. The swings; however, soon grow into large arcs until they're almost hanging upside down. Doyoung squeezes his eyes shut as he tries to curl into his thin frame.

 

Shouts, varying from downright murder to absolute glee, fill the air but Doyoung doesn't have the heart in him to open his eyes and see if the other members are as affected as him. The ride lasts a lifetime, and when it finally ends Doyoung is the first to stumble out of the ride.

 

“Whoa, easy there, Doyoung,” Taeil says as he quickly goes to the red-head's side and helps him regain his land legs.

 

Taeyong, who looks twenty different kinds of relieved, stands to Doyoung's left.

 

“Okay, we're going on the Ferris Wheel.”

 

Doyoung laughs, hiding his mouth behind his hands, “That's just as tall as the ride we were on.”

 

“Yeah,” Taeyong concedes with a smile, “but it's slower. Much slower.”

 

(*)

 

Ferris Wheels and cotton candy are like the mascot of amusement parks. Doyoung was always fascinated with the giant wheels, and even now he looks forward to sitting in the cart and watching as they rotate above the world. Despite the hot, afternoon sun casting a bright yellow glow, Doyoung still can't help but to be mystified at the large wheel. The steel is painted an off-white hue, the carts painted to look like soft clouds floating in the sky. He even spots the LEDs dotting the beams that connect to the center. Doyoung really wishes that it was nighttime instead so he could see them in action. Even so, it reminds the red-head of his childhood days when his whole family let him run around the amusement park, begging for sweets and attempting to ride every ride.

 

He was tenacious back then, more boisterous. Things have a habit of changing though, and there's no need for another loud member when there's already so many.

 

Adjusting the hemline of Jaehyun's shirt for the umpteenth time, Doyoung follows the two Taes into the carriage. Immediately, Taeil goes to sit on the bench inside the capsule while Taeyong wanders over to the windows.

 

“There's nothing to look at yet, hyung,” Doyoung comments as he sits down next to the eldest teammate. The carriage starts to slowly move; the compartment rocks gently as the wheel turns.

 

Doyoung watches from the seat as the scenery slowly starts to reveal the city's skyline, all looming buildings awash with a halo of light. The sun's reach slowly starts to crawl away from Doyoung's feet, the carriage growing cooler as the angle makes it so the rays aren't able to seep into the tiny room. Doyoung brings his legs up to his knees, eyes not leaving Taeyong's back as the rapper is still looking out the window.

 

It's hard not to feel insecure in the group sometimes. Whereas all the members had a manly charm about them, Doyoung was stuck with his awkward, lanky frame and too large eyes that didn't fit his slender face.

 

He can see why the fans love the member so much. Doyoung mistakenly heaves a noticeable sigh.

 

Taeyong turns and catches his eye the same time Taeil asks, “Are you okay?”

 

“Huh? O-oh, yeah, I'm good,” Doyoung quickly explains with a nervous chuckle and wave if his hands,

 

Taeil and Taeyong exchange a knowing glance.

 

“S-seriously guys,” get it together Doyoung, they won't believe you with a stutter, “I'm okay. It's good, I'm good...”

 

Taeyong moves in front so that he's blocking the view of the sky and city, “Okay,” he replies at a slow, even pace, “can you look me in the eyes and say it...?”

 

It's a challenge. Doyoung knows it a challenge so he meets the blonde's gaze with a shy one of his own. His mouth opens to speak, but suddenly his brain fails him and he darts his eyes away and huffs out in annoyance. A small smile tugs at Taeyong's lips as he perches himself precariously on the bench, leaning his heavier frame against the red-head. On the other side, Taeil squawks indignantly as Doyoung's body suddenly mushes against his, almost making him fall off.

 

“Yah, watch it,” the shortest grumbles as he shoots a laser glare toward the grinning blonde.

 

Taeyong dismisses the eldest, “It's okay Doyoungie, you don't have to tell us,” the rapper's long, skinny arms try to embrace both singers, “we're here if you need us.”

 

Doyoung sniffles gently as he squirms at the too intimate touch. “Okay hyung, I get it. You're going to crush me,” he whines eliciting laughter form both Taeil and Taeyong.

 

The rest of the ride is uneventful. It's just the trio watching lazily as the scenery goes by. At one point Taeil gets a text from Mark saying how Jaehyun is going to kill him. To which Taeil taunts to the red-head, “You need to train your boyfriend better,” and Doyoung rolls his eyes and mutters something about annoying maknae lines and how you can't leave children alone for even a minute.

 

Taeyong yawns out, “At least Ten's there.”

 

“Yeah, to what, record it,” Doyoung supplies with a scoff.

 

“Exactly—wait, ouch, Doyoungie that hurt!”

 

(*)

 

When the members meet up roughly three hours later, Jaehyun looks like he's about to kill someone—Mark—as the maknae uses Ten as a shield between him and his potential doom. Taeil raises a brow as Mark bounds over to Doyoung, Jaehyun quick on the maknae's heels.


Like the good hyung he is, Doyoung keeps Mark behind him as Jaehyun tries to reach the short brunette. “Yah, leave the maknae alone, he's just a kid.”

 

“Well what about me,” Jaehyun whines, “I'm the second youngest.”

 

As if on cue all the members roll their eyes.

 

“You're such a baby,” Doyoung grouses but doesn't make any move to push Jaehyun away as the younger envelops him in a tight hug. Mark takes the chance to slip away from Doyoung and towards an impassive Taeil. It's a rule of thumb not the mess with the eldest unless you want a death wish.

 

This should be awkward, or at the very least a little embarrassing, but Doyoung's much too tired and hungry to even care about the stares passerbys give them. Jaehyun noses the juncture of the thin singer's neck and shoulder before mumbling something into the soft skin. Doyoung flushes a bit at the feeling, a wild-fire blush burns across his cheeks and down his neck as he looks at Ten who has a wide grin across his face. He's known the Thai male long enough to know that whatever is going to happen next will not be good.


“Jaehyuuuuun,” Ten whines, exaggerating his already heavy accent, “don't keep Doyoung-ah for yourself.” Ten nudges his way into the hug and suddenly Doyoung finds himself with an armful of two grown men.

 

From off the side he hears Mark snicker.

 

“Alright you two,” Taeyong chastises as he peels the brunettes off, “Doyoung needs to be able to see when he's walking.”

 

“Right. Let's go find a restaurant, all we've eaten is cotton candy, popcorn, and hotdogs.”

 

Ten wriggled his way from Taeyong's grasp and said, “Well, at least you had something other than sweet stuff.” He sends a knowing gaze to Mark who smiles cheekily.

 

“Should we get some seafood?”

 

“I want meat.”

 

“What about ramen?”

 

“We've been eating ramen!”

 

“Let's get pizza.”

 

Taeil sighs, “Let's let Doyoungie decide.” All eyes turn on the rabbit-esque male. “Well, what do you want Doyoung-ah?”

 

Doyoung scratches the back of his neck, “Umm, how about tteokbokki?”

 

“Sounds good,” Taeil replies with a soft smile that has Doyoung flushing.

 

(*)

 

Luckily, a tteokbokkie place isn't far from the amusement park. Taeyong and Taeil, like the responsible adults they are, take it upon themselves to order. Doyoung lets out a small yawn, eyes squinting as he lets a small breeze ruffle his hair. The weather is too nice not to sit outside.

 

“I don't see why they get to sit beside Doyoung,” Jaehyun mutters as he sends a sharp glare to Mark who sticks his tongue out.

 

Doyoung, who sits directly across from Ten, rolls his eyes as the same-aged boy gives him a mirthful stare. He splays his hands across the red table, putting his fingers through the lattice design as his other hand leisurely scrolls through his conversations and deleting all the dead ones. Soon, Mark and Jaehyun's banter switches into full on English, the only one fully understand is Ten who offers no explanation whatsoever.

 

“Okay you two,” Taeil says as he takes a seat beside Doyoung, “stop arguing and eat up.”

 

Containers of ttoekbokkie fill the barren space as cups are passed around. Once everyone is settled with their drinks, chopsticks move in a flurry.

 

“This is really good, hyung,” Mark says between large bites.

 

Jaehyun and Ten hum in agreement, cheeks graciously stuffed with the rice cakes.

 

Light banter fills in the occasional silence, but a pleasant warmth spreads throughout Doyoung's body as he studies the people before him. They love him, so that's all that matters, right?

 

“Oh my god you're NCT right,” a jovial voice squeals in delight.

 

The six of them freeze before relaxing, it's just two fans.

 

“Technically, it's NCT U,” Mark states matter-of-fact but quickly winces as Doyoung pinches the maknae's side. Taeyong shakes his head and offers a pretty smile.

 

“Would you like a picture?”

 

The first girl who spoke nods her head vigorously. Her other friend laughs lightheartedly as she watches the girl fumble with her phone, almost dropping the white device. Once the camera is on, the girl her lips and stares at her friend quizzically.

 

“Wait, who's going to take the photo?”

 

Doyoung smiles and stands, “I can do it,” he offers.

 

The members are about to argue, but the fan takes up the offer with a grateful smile that has Doyoung's heart in a twist. He wonder's if the girl would have refused if it was another member, but Doyoung can't be mad, he offered. So he takes the phone with a large smile and backs up until all the members and two fans are in the frame.

 

“Okay, on three. One, two, three.”

 

The phone blinks as a click sound goes off.

 

“Oh, Seomin, we better get going,” the second fan urges as she stares at her watch. “Thank you for taking the picture oppa, do you want...” she gestures toward the phone but Doyoung shakes his head and hands it over.

 

“You guys seem like you're in a hurry right now, I don't want you to be late.”

 

A rueful smile crosses the tan girl's face before she passes the phone off to her friend. “Next time, if we're lucky to see you,” she offers as consolidation before the duo dart off down the road, not before yelling bouts of gratitude and endless bows.

 

Sliding back into the seat, Jaehyun huffs, “You didn't have to do that.”

 

“Well, how were you going to take the picture,” Doyoung offers with a strained smile, placing his chopsticks aside.

 

“Are you not hungry, hyung?”

 

Blinking, Doyoung gives Mark a cursory glance. “Not really, I lost my apetite,” he explains curtly as he brings his phone to his face, staring at the comments on Naver. He knows he shouldn't torture himself like this, but it's just too easy not to. So he refreshes he page and starts reading the new comments, ignoring the looks of concern the rest of his friends shoot his way.  


A/N: Hyung line wants to spend time with Doyoungie too! Also, Mark just lives to make Jaehyun suffer xD but seriously, why do we not talk about Doyoung more? If I was an idol, I'd be 100% looking through comments seeing if fans talked about me. I hope the chapter was alright, and thank you for subscribing and don't forget to comment!!! Much appreciation and love <3