The Most Beautiful Moment in Life

I Love You

Jin felt his heart pound, shaking the roots that wrapped around his ribcage. Every breath he took, every cough he forced, every fiery petal that fell from his lips were all a reminder that he could never be loved back. The cursed Begonia petals, meaning deep thoughts only made the oldest cry more. The orange petals that he woke up to every morning, rushing to rid of them before the others found out. His ego used to put up a front, masking the true depression of living a disease from a one sided love. They are too different, he knows it too well. Their personalities are fairly the opposite of each other, and that is what is killing him. The suffocating crush of the petals that pile up because Jin choose to love the wrong person. The pain he goes through, the emotionally destructive thoughts he gains from every petal, and no one notices. The other members are always goofing around, but they don’t know. They don’t know how much his heart breaks when they jokingly refer to them as “Mom and Dad”. They don’t know that every time they push the pair together, Jin’s roots grow a little more. He doesn’t know that every time his finger simply brushes against Jin’s skin, that petals cut off his windpipe, but Jin keeps on smiling. He’s in love with the leader, that is too blind to see it. He’s in love with the leader and it’s too late to turn back. Every heartbeat sends a shock of pain, his voice struggles to say a word, lacking the oxygen in his lungs, but today Jin will get his message out. Namjoon, confused as he sits outside of the recording booth, watches the eldest members stand by the microphone, swaying slightly on his feet. Once the music starts, Jin feels himself overrun with emotions, and he knows that it’s time. Namjoon sits in the chair, watching the sight unfold before him, questions bubbling in his mind as to why the vocalist wanted the leader here. A familiar tune starts up, the beginning of I love you, only adding onto his confusion. He watches as Jin starts out quiet, his eyes close as he pours all emotions into the lyrics, sounding too genuine for Namjoon to feel comfortable.

We were too different
You know that well
We aren’t able to embrace
Each other’s realities

“I don’t understand”
“I don’t remember”
Words that will always just be words
I don’t expect them

As the song progresses, Jin doesn’t open his eyes once, his quiet whisper soon turning into belting, a look of pain on his face not going unnoticed by the leader. As the ‘I Love You’s were repeated, Namjoon slowly came to his realization as to why the eldest called him here.

I love you

Every time Jin would ask for Namjoon’s favorite meal, and whenever the leader was stressed he’d find it waiting on the kitchen table. Sometimes Jin would go into his room, placing the tray next to his laptop as he reminds the leader to get more sleep, and to watch his health.

I love you

Every time Jin would make sure Namjoon is feeling okay, almost pampering him to the extreme without being questioned once. Namjoon just thought they were Jin’s motherly instincts, that Jin was like this to the other members.

I love you

Every time Jin would smile when he catches the younger staring at him, not asking or wonder why he was. How Jin would always lightly squeeze Namjoon’s hand when the leader wasn’t paying attention to where his hands were.

I love you

Every time Jin’s smile would falter when Namjoon and him were referred to as the parents and the oblivious leader turned it into a joke, brushing off the comment. Everytime Jin would force a smile so the others didn’t worry.

I love you

Every time Jin coughed, only to blame it on allergies even though that season ended a while ago. The petals that Namjoon would spot in the trash when given the chore to clean. The countless times that Jin was almost sickly sweet to their leader, even though it was killing himself.

I love you

Every time Jin laughed, smiled, or even cried in the presence of Namjoon, not aware of the feelings being mutual. The words not spoken that lead to the wall that was formed but rough vines and flaming flowers.

To your warm touch

    Namjoon felt his own eyes tear up, Jin having gone through so much pain just because he didn’t want to stop loving their stupid, oblivious, and destructive leader. Jin feared to open his eyes, still belting out the song lyrics and not ready to face what might come.

Please hold me

Jin opens his eyes, his heart painfully loud as he meets eyes with the tear stained face of Namjoon

Please catch me

    The petals were too much, Jin finally coughs them up, falling to the floor as petal after petal fall from his lips, soon coming out in clumps. The petals mix with blood and tears as the eldest members hacks up petal after petal, curling up on the ground and barely hearing the leader's words.

    “I love you! Jin hyung! Don’t close your eyes, listen to my voice. Jin- I love you don’t leave me. Jin- Seokjin stay with me!” the pained and hurried voice of Namjoon is heard above him, blurring in and out as the older struggles to stay awake. There's a soft pressure on his lips, rough lips meeting his own soft ones. The kiss was desperation, need, and pain. The feelings that could’ve been spoken for such a long time, but were never said. The mutual emotion shared but unknown between the two members.

(...)

Jin wakes up, white lights everywhere as the iridescent bulbs shine harshly on his eyes. He groans, a pain in his chest showing that the flowers haven’t been removed yet. Even though it pains him, he’s grateful they aren’t gone. Even if it killed him, Jin wouldn’t want to stop loving Namjoon. There’s a weight pressing down on his right arm, a head of blonde resting on his arm. The other members didn’t look to be here, and Namjoon looked to be knocked out cold. The mere sight of the younger member brought a light laugh to Jin’s lips, even though every breath killed him. Of course, the new sound immediately wakes up Namjoon, his head jolting upwards as he looks up at Jin with wide eyes. There are clear bags under the leader’s eyes, a frown forming on Jin’s face once he sees them. His hands go straight to Namjoon’s face, a scolding tone in his face, “Who said you are allowed to miss sleep over me? Huh? Your health is important to.” his voice comes out dry and scratchy, but he pays no mind to it.

“J-Jin hyung…” is all that Namjoon mumbles out, his eyes tearing up as he bows his head, “Why didn’t you tell me? Why did you wait so long in pain? You could’ve died… I could’ve lost you.” his voice slowly changes, going from his calm tone to one of fear and distress, “I don’t want to lose you, hyung. Never.” Namjoon squeezes Jin’s arm tighter, small salty tears dropping onto the elder’s arm.

“Joonie.” Jin mumbles, trying to get the leader to look at him, “Joonie.” He repeats, still getting the same response. Jin sighs, lifting the younger’s face as he pecks a light kiss to his nose, “I’d live through that pain all over if I could continue to love you. If I stopped, I’d feel too empty. If I got surgery, it’ll be like a part of me was taken out. I didn’t want to live a day with that emptiness.” he smiles at Namjoon, a warm and genuine one. Namjoon doesn’t hesitate to take the brunette in his arms, holding him close as he mumbles apologies for not noticing sooner or how he should’ve been a better leader, “Jonnie. I know now, that’s all I need.” Jin rubs the younger’s back, feeling his shoulder dampen with tears. He manages to hold his own back, the sheer relief of knowing that this was no longer one sided has gotten him over emotional.

Namjoon pulls back slightly from the hug, resting his forehead against Jin’s, “You were out for three days, Hyung. You scared all of us.” he mumbles. A small silence falls over them, Namjoon still resting his forehead against the others with closed eyes, soon breaking the silence with a small comment, “Your confession was pretty powerful. You should post that cover online, the fans would probably die over it.” Namjoon chuckles lightly, before lightly pecking the elder’s lips, “I-I… I can do that right?” he asks hesitantly, a light blush forming on his sun kissed cheeks.

“Well, I mean you’re going to have to pop the question if you haven’t yet.” a new voice appears, the rest of the five members standing in the doorway. Hoseok and Taehyung and cheering quietly, almost acting like fanboys over the new couple. Jungkook face is just pure relief when he see’s Jin awake and looking fairly alive. Jimin stands back, grinning as Taehyung secretly hand’s him some money, most-likely after losing a bet. Lastly, there’s Yoongi, standing their with a smug grin on his face as he makes his way over to the pair, “Ah, yes and-” he flicks Jin’s head, showing no fear of the repercussion it could cause, “Next time you’re about to die from coughing up petals, tell someone first. You made all of us worry.” there’s a teasing tone in his voice, though it clearly shows Yoongi’s worry for his hyung.

“Sorry guys,” Jin sheepishly rubs the back of his neck, “I just-”

“And hey, it’s not like the first time this has happened, I mean, just take Jimin for example.” Taehyung blurts out, causing Jimin to jolt and spin around at the younger boy. Namjoon and Jin share a look of confusion as Hoseok explains the situation that managed to take place in the course of three days.

“Jimin was coughing up petals for Yoongi. Taehyung found out and forced them to face each other. He’s still got the cough, but most of the flowers are clearing out of his system.” Hoseok shrugs when the looks don’t change on their faces.

“So what you’re telling me is… that Jimin got the disease and at hiding it… So you forced the two together… and now they're a thing?” Jin mumbles out slowly.

“Yep, exactly what I said.”

“Well, I really should have told someone I guess.” Jin sighs, leaning back onto the pillows, “That would’ve saved me a whole two months.”

“T-Two months?” Namjoon asks in shock, “H-how-”

“I’m better at hiding things than you think… Actually, you’re all pretty bad at hiding things.” Jin soon pulls the rest of the members into the conversation, catching up on what he missed for the past three days and eventually getting checked up on by the doctor. The boys don’t leave until visiting hours are over, only letting one of them stay (and that’s a no brainer). Namjoon sits next to Jin on the uncomfortable plastic chair, simply smiling at the resting figure, “You know, if you’re going to stare that long you might as well talk.” Jin mumbles, cracking open an eye to peer at the slightly flustered blonde. Before he can defend himself, Jin laughs lightly, scooting over in the bed to make some “space” for Namjoon, “C’mere, that chair can’t be too comfortable.”

“Isn’t there some sort of rule about this?”

“I don’t know. Don’t really care either.”

“But should we-”

“Listen, do you want to cuddle or would you rather sit in that chair all night?”

“I’m coming.”

“Good.”

A serene silence falls over the couple as they lay there, both wearing the same adoring smile for the other person. Carefully avoiding the IV chord that’s attached to the elder’s arm, Namjoon cuddles in the inconveniently small space, their limbs tangling together. There's a small kiss, the desperation and worry now gone, replaced with a mellow mood and pure joy. Namjoon is the one to break the silence again, “Hey Jin… about what Yoongi hyung said… Um… Will you… um be my boyfriend. I mean I kinda know the answer but-”

“Yes.” Jin giggles lightly, not even letting the other boy finish his sentence, “I’ve been waiting two years to hear that you punk. Took you long enough.”

“Jin…”

“Yes?”

“I love you.” a tired mumble, lips brushing against his neck as the leader speaks the phrase that Jin has always yearned to hear.

“I love you too.” and with that, they both fell asleep, ignoring the rules they could be breaking and how sore they’ll be tomorrow. They have just started the beginning of the most beautiful moment of life.