4

Let's Get Physical

Minah felt like her luck was cursed, with her now weak ankle, she had to stay away from the gym and keep pressure off it. So she chose to sit at the café in the centre while waiting for Ari to return from her dance classes. At least her friend was faring better than her in the guys department, not that Minah was complaining. She had other important things to do.

Like catch up with her summer reading for pleasure list. Which was why she was seated at the empty café, with a mocha on the table and the Game of Thrones in her hands.

Ari on the other hand was twirling around the room with some old lady whose name she kept forgetting. Jongin was a truly professional teacher and was friendly with everyone. Except he was very cool too with all the people in the room knowing that almost everyone was attracted to him. Which was mixed signals enough for Ari.

“Ari, please slow down.” Her partner wheezed as Jongin marched over in their general direction.

“We need to be considerate to our partner’s abilities! Keep time with them and you can slowly pick up from them!” he called out to no one in particular but Ari knew it was directed to her. She pursed her lips and slowed down apologising to the lady while trying to ignore all the eyes on her.

Sometimes Kim Jongin could be a little bit of a monster.

Ari sighed, remembering the mess that had happened in the morning. She liked reading, in fact she liked reading absolutely anything. Which was probably why she often had Minah bring her readings from her college classes just to take a look at them and read them in her free time. Even though Minah was on her summer break, she brought along readings to the Recreation Centre to hand over to Ari.

Apparently Minah had some of the strangest readings to do for her history course.

Ari gaped at the sheaf of papers Minah had handed to her with bold words on the title reading "Eighteenth Century Antiquarians and Gods." Minah grinned at her reaction to the paper title.

"Welcome to my world."

"What the Minah, why am I not in your college?" Ari had stared at the reading, flipping through it as she read about various Gods who had connotations in different cultures.

"Because you have to work. Speaking of which, your God is coming this way!"  Minah had grinned yet again before shoving the doors of the cafe open, sending her a two finger salute, a wink, and disappearing (hobbling) behind the doors.

Ari remembered spinning around quickly before knocking right into said ' god', causing the reading to fall out of her hands and Kim Jongin to be the gentleman he is, picked it up before taking a look at the title and raising his eyebrow.

"Uh, I can explain..." Ari began which had made him smirk.

"No no, it's all cool," He replied, handing the reading back over to her still smirking as Ari resisted the urge to bang her head against the wall.

"Are you coming?" He asked which sounded rather wrong in this context, causing Ari to gape at him only to realise he was pointing to the dance class room as she followed him in.

"This is interesting, " he had begun, holding the door open for her "I was going to try and teach you guys the Samba which is considered one of the most dance forms." she remembered him grinning and making her gulp.

And here she was “ dancing” with an old lady while Jongin hissed at everyone in the studio.

“Ari! What on earth are you doing?!” he yelled as everyone in the studio froze as Ari stepped on her partner’s foot.

“Jesus Christ, I’m sorry!” she apologised profusely to her partner watching Jongin come over and switch his partner with the lady. Now all of the sudden Ari was stuck with what appeared to be a rather upset Jongin and she had no idea what to do.

Apparently all she had to do was dance dirty with him and wait for his temper to cool off. Jongin  had been shooting her angry looks through their class even while they danced together.

"Okay guys, good work today. I'm really happy to see how far you've come in just a few classes. See you next class!"

There were a few hoots and murmurs in response to Jongin’s compliment to the class. Ari exited along with the others and hurried to her locker. Annoyed, she took a quick shower and shoved the locker room door open only to bump into Taekwoon who was coming out of the men’s locker room.

"Hey, um. How's your friend doing? She hurt her ankle didn't she?" The cat-like man, Jung Taekwoon asked her.

"Ask her yourself," Ari gestured her head towards the Cafe as she hitched her bag higher on her shoulder.

"Ari?" She heard someone call her name behind her. Jongin’s voice was starting to get on her nerves. She understood that she messed up in class, but there was no reason for him to have been so mad about it the entire time. It was a little unreasonable, especially since this was her first time learning the samba. She gave Taekwoon one last glance before heading towards the cafe. Taekwoon didn't bother stopping her in fear of being on the receiving end of some very nice words.

Jongin caught up to Taekwoon and placed his hand on Taekwoon's shoulder.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Jongin asked Taekwoon.

Taekwoon shrugged nonchalantly and walked towards the cafe as Jongin followed closely. Jongin hurried over to Ari who was now drawing the seat across Minah while Taekwoon hesitated.

“Ari,” he stood beside her seat as she turned towards him, he was a little taken aback by the flames in her eyes as Minah watched the two confused “I was a little out of the line today, I’m really sorry. You’re one of my best students and I just...let me make it up to you. Coffee or tea?” he asked rapidly making Ari blink and Minah smirk.

“Hot chocolate…” Ari mumbled as Minah nudged her.

“I think the two of you need to talk it out, I’ll shift seats.” Minah grinned, standing up only to have to two glare at her and ask her to sit. Only to have their instructions completely ignored and Minah shifting two tables away. Jongin stood awkwardly as Ari looked around shiftily.

“Ah, let me get the drinks.” she began.

“I’m more of a tea guy, so I’ll get it!” Jongin quickly hurried away to get the drinks as Ari blinked. Well, he sure as hell had a soft spot for her since he was going out of the way to apologise for being a teacher. She shrugged, looking at his figure leaning against the counter, waiting for the drinks.

How lucky was she?

Minah spotted Taekwoon standing by the cafe door looking around like an idiot before his eyes landed on her. She instantly felt awkward and dropped her eyes to the book in her hands. Jongin had returned to the the table with Ari and she noticed the barista waving at Taekwoon.

“Hey, Takewoon! The usual? Also, did you find that first aid kit you were looking for? You just ran in looking for it and you never told me why.”

Upon hearing what the Barista had said, Minah couldn't help but wonder if he had asked for a first aid box for her. She finally built up the courage to look up at Taekwoon. His face was deep crimson.

He approached her cautiously and looked down at her feet.

 

“Just wanted to ask how your ankle was,” Taekwoon asked softly.

 

“It's fine. Just a minor sprain,” She answered.

 

“Oh. Uh. That's good. It should heal soon.”

 

“Yup,” She replied, simply.

 

The both of them stood there for a while and as Minah began to sense the awkwardness, she looked back down at her book. Maybe she misunderstood him. Maybe he was just awfully awkward and needed someone to thaw the ice. And so that's what Minah did.

 

“Do you want some coffee or something?”

 

“No,” He answered.

 

Minah didn't know what to say, now that he just completely shot down her offer.

 

“But I want something to eat. I'm starving,” Taekwoon his lips as if out of habit. She found that extremely endearing. Out of habit, she stood up only to crumple back into her seat.

 

“I’m an idiot,” she mumbled “I was going to ask you what you’d have, it’s on me for knocking you over twice.” she grinned as he looked down at

her foot and back at her face.

 

“It’s taped wrong.” he stated out of nowhere making Minah frown in confusion.

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“The ankle tape,” Taekwoon said, taking the seat in front of her and lifting her foot onto his lap causing her to panic as he undid the binding around “it’s done wrong.” he said, before carefully winding the crepe bandage around her ankle again.

 

“Thank you,” she said, remembering to set her book down on the table “I’m sorry I never got your name before. I’m Kim Minah.”

 

She knew his name of course but at the cost of sounding like a hopeless fangirl or stalker, she played it safe, even if knowing his name was okay since he was somewhat popular.

 

“Jung Taekwoon.”

“What will you have?”