Ch.10

I'd risk everything if it's for you

I was lifted off of the ground. I opened my eyes to see Tao carrying me. He looked down at me.
'What were you thinking Xia?'
'I...wanted...to...make...you...proud' I didn't want to die but I knew that I was getting weaker. I tried my best to try and make myself heal.
'So now it's yer turn eh?' Kris asked as he attacked Tao but he managed to dodge him even with me in his arms.
He jumped into the air, his kagune really acting like a pair of wings and shot the same shards out at Kris. Mei screamed at Kris getting hurt and attacked Tao herself which caused him to drop me and fall to the floor himself.
'I warned you!' she said 'I warned you that if you hurt Kris then I'd kill you' she knelt down in front of him 'and what better way to get my revenge then to eat you myself'
'Mei NO!' I managed to shout.
Canabalism was rare but not unheard of for ghouls and if they did eat one of their own then it caused their own body to modify more, and not always for the best.
Mei smiled 'I'll start by clipping those wings of yours big brother' she bit into Tao's still exposed kagun and shreaded it.
Tao screamed but did nothing. Even when she was killing him, he wouldn't touch her.
I used what strength I could find to use mine to wrap around Mei and stop her from doing anymore damage.
'Mei, look at what you're doing. This isn't right, Tao is your family. You don't really want to kill him'
She stared 'oh God...what have I done? Tao?...oh my...did I do all this?' I let her go and she began to cry 'Tao can you hear me? I'm sorry...I'm so sorry. Please wake up' she whimpered 'Please'
...
He eventually opened his eyes again.
'Xia...are you alright?' why was he worrying about me?
'I...I'm fine, I'm healing...I think but that doesn't matter. Tao...I thought you were dead'
'It takes more than that to keep me down' he tried to stand but fell again 'ow what's wrong with me?'
'IMSOSORRYITSALLMYFAULT' Mei said without a breath.
'Mei...are you? I mean does this mean that we're okay...?'
She nooded and he hugged her.
'I missed you so much don't ever scare me like that again' he said as he squeezed her.
She started to cry again.
'I'm so sorry this is all my fault. I was just so scared'
'Shhh I know it's alright' he soothed.
'It's not alright, you both almost died because of me'
Tao let go of Mei and walked back over to me and fell into my lap.
'I think...I may have misjudged quite how bad this was' he said.
'That's because you're an idiot' I leant down and kissed him and he closed his eyes again.

Because a ghouls kagune is basically like another organ, any damage done to it affects the rest of the body, so the more damage to the kagune, the more to the person too and Mei had done quite a bit to Tao's but he couldn't and wouldn't go and get it seen to.
He just lay in bed trying to make it heal on its own and I was getting worried.
He was making himself sicker and there was literally nothing I could do about it and that killed me.
I stayed with him as much as I could or as much as he would let me.
'You need to have a life Xia, I'll still be here when you get back'
'But I want to stay' I protested.
But he always got his way
...
About a week after Mei attacked him, he was or at least he seemed to be okay again.
'You can stop worrying about me now and have a life' he teased.
'How can I, when you ARE my life?' I replied and he stared at me 'what? it's true' I said.
'I love you so much' he said kissing me.
'I love you so much too' I said into his mouth as I kissed him back.
...
I had gone from a nothing waste of space that no one wanted to being the happiest and luckiest person in the world and it was all thanks to Tao.
I owed him my life and I would give it willingly.
He was the best thing that ever happened to me and I would fight for him...for us.
Just come and try me.
I dare you.