three

guard your heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Your Highness, what are you doing?”

Jihoon was really trying to restrain himself from hurting the prince after their small squabble but it was only their fourth day in the protection program and Seungcheol was really making it hard for him to do so. Like now, when Jisoo and he were guarding the entrance of the palace late at night and the Highness himself decided to stalk towards them.

Doyoon, who was currently the one in charge of keeping his eyes on the prince, spoke in his authoritative voice, “Your Highness, the King made it a point to tell us that you are not allowed to go out of the palace unless he says otherwise.”

“Excuse me,” Seungcheol said with his eyebrows raised. “May I ask you, who’s the part of the royal family here?

“You?” Doyoon carefully said.

“Bingo! Seungkwan?” The shout of the prince could probably wake the whole country up this late.

The butler hastily ran from the palace’s kitchen and stood beside the young prince, “What is it, Prince? Did you need anything?”

“Where are the more able bodyguards of mine?”

“Prince,” Seungkwan sighed in exasperation before looking at Doyoon with apologetic eyes. “They are already back in their companies. The king told you that Mr. Lee, along with his team, are your new personal bodyguards. He didn’t want a repeat of last time when –”

Last time? Before Jihoon could voice at his thoughts, Seungcheol raised his hands in front of Seungkwan’s mouth to stop him. The former didn’t know if that was a red tint on his cheeks or it was just the light in the hallway. “So whenever I go out, these guys will be accompanying me?”

“That is if you’re allowed to go out, kid.”

Jihoon uttered under his breath, not expecting for the prince to hear him. But, judging by the fast whipping of the other’s head and the hard glare sent his way, he supposed the older heard him. “Kid? You’re calling me a kid with that height? I bet I’m older than you, have some respect.”

The younger’s fingers recoiled at the mention of his height, again. “Wow, with how you’re acting, I could have not known. I’m so sorry, Your Highness.”

“Are guards supposed to be this sarcastic? You’re making my blood boil, you know,” Seungcheol’s upper lips curled in irritation. How dare this flimsy example of a guard answer him back? He was the second prince of South Korea, for god’s sake.

“Am I? It’s a pleasure,” Jihoon immediately scowled at Jisoo when he felt an elbow hitting him from the side. “What? I’m just stating the truth.”

“Jihoon,” Jisoo carefully whispered for the prince not to hear him. “That’s the prince you are talking to. You don’t want to be a bad shot to your father, right?”

Looking at the prince, his eyebrows twitched at the smug smile he was sending his way. “I sometimes forget he’s the prince with the way he’s acting.”

That seemed to do the trick as Seungcheol’s smile left his lips, “You . Let me out right this instance and I’ll forget your rude actions.”

“No. Ask your daddy first then maybe we will.”

“Lee, I am getting out and you and your peasant do not have a say in this,” Seungcheol snarled and made his way closer and closer towards the doorway. When his hand finally met with the door knob, he felt a strong force pulling him back. Before he knew it, he was already pinned to the wall by Jihoon himself, his hands above his head.

He was a little bit surprised at the strength of him even though this was already the second time he was manhandled by the smaller male. He was taller yet, he felt like he was the inferior one right this moment. Maybe it’s because of the other’s fiery stare.

His thoughts were halted by Jisoo’s warning voice, “Jihoon. Let him go.”

“Listen, Choi Seungcheol. We only follow your father’s orders and if he tells us to detain you inside this house forever, then we will detain you. If your has any problems, then go and talk to the king,” Jihoon spat out before letting him go and returning to his place in front of the main door, his face still stoic as if nothing had happened.

“Just you see, Lee Jihoon. I will go out of this house without you, dips, following me every single time. Seungkwan, let’s go!”

After Seungcheol’s litany, he quickly scrambled away from the wall where he was pinned to and stomped towards his room, string of curses flowing smoothly out of his lips. Stifling his laughter, Doyoon followed from behind him but not before giving Jihoon a thumbs up.

“You know, for a prince?” Jihoon hummed to let the older agent know that he was listening. “He has a large vocabulary of profanities. Think they teach it here in the palace? I’m willing to pay for it.”

Jihoon just had to snort at that.

 

It was four days since the new bodyguards hired by their father started their job. It was also four days since he last went out of his house and had fun with his friends. Life was being unfair to Seungcheol, really. But, he ought to change that today. A very flawless plan formulated inside his mind and he betted no one from that useless protection program will know it.

He was currently playing with his phone inside his room, side-eyeing Seungkwan who was standing beside his bed, when he heard the door being opened. An unfamiliar feminine face welcomed him. “Good evening, Your Highness. I am Jeonghan, I am the one in charge of you tonight.”

Commence mission of escaping from the hell hole. “Hello Jeonghan,” his nice tone surprised the two men inside the room. “I hope you guys don’t overwork yourself tonight. Are you going to be alone?”

The agent shook his head, still confused at the 360-degree change of the prince, “No, Prince. Our leader and Junhui are on the front door along with the palace’s royal guards.”

Their leader? Seungcheol scoffed at the thought. Was that little kid always in the palace? For the past four days, he was always around and cornering him whenever and wherever he deemed necessary. Knowing that he would be with him for six months annoyed the hell out of the prince. He prayed to all the gods to give him the strength to be alive until the end and not to be skinned by Jihoon.

But, at least, the two other guards are staying at the main door. It made his plan easier. After scoffing internally, he nodded his head with his eyes still not leaving his phone. “Okay, thank you Jeonghan.”

The agent nodded before bowing his head and leaving the room to probably stand all night in front of his door.

On the other hand, Seungkwan had his eyes trained on him. It made the younger prince look up from staring at his phone, a look of question sent to the butler. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You’re planning something,” said Seungkwan suspiciously, judging by how he was looking at Seungcheol. “I know you, Seungcheol. What are you thinking of?”

Shaking his head, Seungcheol spoke up, “What are you saying, Seungkwan? I’m not planning anything. I just realized that if the king wanted me safe, then so be with it. That Jihoon,” he stopped himself from cringing really hard, “was right. And, I respect father’s decision.”

The butler still had a little doubt on the prince’s words yet, he just shrugged. “Fine. But, I am telling you, I’m out with anything you’re planning. So, stop it before you get in trouble with the king.”

“Yes, Seungkwan. Just get out now and let me rest,” the older just waved his hands towards the door, silently telling Seungkwan to leave which the other did so.

When Seungcheol heard the door closing, he hastily scrambled to get out of his bed and towards his walk-in closet. He just randomly picked a simple statement shirt and really tight pants to not waste time. After he was finished, he looked at himself in the mirror and smiled smugly. “Wow, even with bare face you’re still hot Prince Seungcheol.”

The prince then opened his door but made sure that only his face was showing. He saw Jeonghan on the side, speaking with a maid. He then pat the other's shoulder to get his attention and when he did, he asked if he could lock the door for a while to change. Seeing Jeonghan nod, he said his thanks and entered his room once again – not forgetting to lock his door.

It’s showtime, he thought. He smirked because these agents were really stupid. Who would even let someone lock their door? When he made sure that everything he needed was already packed inside his bag, he pulled the blanket he knotted from under his bed.

Silently opening the window, Seungcheol looked around and noticed the stillness of the palace in the night. It was really enthralling but he didn’t have time for these thoughts. He then tied the end of the blanket on the railing and threw the other end down. After making sure that it was already safe, he threw his bag down before he himself went to the other side of the railing. Gripping on the blanket hard, he slowly and silently went down.

Arriving down, he smiled because this was it. He could already leave this hell hole without those guards following him.

“What are you doing?”

Yet, when he turned around, he came face-to-face with none other than Jihoon. Or, more like face to chest. He never screamed that loud for all his life.

 

The sight of Jihoon carrying a large back on one hand and pulling the prince with the other inside the house by the ear scared the hell out of Junhui.

“Hey, let me go! You’re hurting me,” Seungcheol groaned, trying to get away from Jihoon’s tight hold on his ears. Yet, he was sure his attempt was not even easing his hold after five or more tries.

When they arrived in the living room, Jihoon pushed the other down on the sofa and dumped the bag beside him. He then started walking back and forth in front of the prince who looked like he was going to get scolded by his parents. Seungcheol tried to make a move to leave the room but the glare Jihoon sent his way made him freeze and stop what he attempted to do.

The noises in the living room made Jeonghan run downstairs, heaving deeply, “The prince! The prince is -.” Seeing the event occurring in the room and the prince cowering in fear, the agent stopped and muttered a soft “oh.”

“Choi Seungcheol,” Jihoon started as he stopped in front of the sitting prince. “What in the world are you thinking? Why did you escape from the window? Are you out of your mind?”

“Excuse me? It is a basic part of my human right –”

“So we're talking about human rights here? Well, that human right of yours will get me and my team in trouble! Thank ing god the king isn’t here –”

Seungcheol abruptly stood up when he heard the younger raising his voice at him, “Hey, remember who you’re talking to.”

“Well, I do remember who I am talking to. You’re someone who cannot even follow one simple rule,” Jihoon backfired, breathing heavily. Seungcheol may be taller and powerful than him but he was not afraid of him even one bit.

The young prince was so ready to answer back when Seungkwan appeared out of nowhere, getting in between the both of them, “Woah, woah. Okay, what is happening here?”

“This guy we’re supposed to be babysitting,” Jihoon pushed the prince’s chest roughly with his index finger. “Tried to escape a while back. From the window.”

The butler gasped, turning to Seungcheol with a disappointed gaze, “I told you, stop escaping from the window! How many times do I have to tell you that, Choi Seungcheol?”

“Wait, this is not the first time this happened? Then shouldn’t we put iron bars around him now?” Junhui

Please log in to read the full chapter