Two

First Love Agency

Choi Sunmi didn't even bother booking a room while she was still in Korea. That's why she is trying her luck at a very small hotel in the busy streets of Bangkok.

 

It was summer, so there was no guarantee that she would get a room. Sunmi was sitting down and waiting for her name to be called.

 

"Ms. Choi, You're very lucky. We have one more room left." The front desk said to her in English.

 

Sunmi suddenly stood up from happiness.

 

"Really? That's a relief then." She answered. She took her keys and was about to head upstairs, but she halted when he heard someone shouting in Thai.

 

"How can someone faint in the middle of the road?! Please give this man a room please!" She turned around and saw an old Thai man carrying someone.

 

"I'm sorry, but we have no more room left." The front desk said.

 

The old man sighed, for he didn't know where to take the man too. But luckily, the man who fainted suddenly woke up and sat up, but he still looked like he wasn't feeling well. Sunmi recognized the person being carried, as the person that she met in the plane. 

 

"The guy from the plane?" Sunmi asked. The man looked at her, moving her hair on the side, and showed him half of the patch that he gave her. And the man finally smiled.

 

"Would you like to share a room with me Mr...?"  Sunmi stretched out her arm for a handshake.

 

The man was shocked by her offer, and so was Sunmi herself. How can she offer sharing a hotel room to a man whom she doesn't even know the name of?

 

"Lee Hongbin. And you are?" He said as he accepted her hand shake.

 

"Choi Sunmi. So, will you share the room with me or would you rather look for some other hotel?" Sunmi asked.

 

"I'd be happy to Sunmi-ssi." He said as he suddenly lied down again and closed his eyes. 

 

"Hongbin-ssi! Wake up!" She said as she was shaking his body.

 

'Aigoo~ he must not be that used to the heat for him to faint like this.' She thought.

 

"Excuse me~ can you please help me bring him up to my room?" 

 

 

 

 

Hakyeon sighed for he didn't know how to start this job. He was hanging out with his best friend, Jung Taekwoon at the café that he owned.

 

"How are you going to find the guy?" Taekwoon asked curiously.

 

"Aish! Mwolla! First, I need to have a copy of the people who flew in Bangkok, 7 years ago. I don't even know where to get it." Hakyeon ruffled his hair in frustration.

 

"Can't you access that information from the agency?" Taekwoon asked, since he knows that Hakyeon used to work at a travelling agency, and they have access to all the names who flew from one country to another.

 

"That's illegal Taekwoon-ah." Hakyeon said as he fixed his hair back to its original position.

 

"Weren't you an ex-employee there? Who would know?" Taekwoon said.

 

"If you didn't quit that job, you would be manager by now. Just walk straight in there. Surprise them. Who's the new manager now anyway?" Taekwoon continued.

 

"My junior, Han Sanghyuk. What the heck am I supposed to do when I get there?" Hakyeon asked naively.

 

"Look here. Just say it like this, 'I'm here to see Han Sanghyuk.' Just surprise them." Taekwoon suggested. Hakyeon, in return, just ended up sighing.

 

 

 

 

Hakyeon slammed his hand on the desk of Manager Han Sanghyuk the next day, when he came to visit the agency.

 

"Manager Han! How long has it been since we last saw each other? You should always help the client. Must I always come here every time I receive a complain, even if I don't work here anymore?!" Hakyeon said as he pointed at Han Sanghyuk, and faking anger. 

 

Han Sanghyuk was of course shocked because his senior was shouting at him, for God knows what reason.

 

"Uhm... Sunbae, your coffee." Sanghyuk stood up to reach the coffee that his assistant made.

 

"Oh, thank you." Hakyeon bowed to the secretary. He looked at Sanghyuk with fake anger, and finally decided to sit down.

 

"What is it that you came here for? And the purpose?" Sanghyuk asked.

 

"The year was 2007, Bangkok. And why the hell are you asking the purpose for?! I'm your sunbae!" Hakyeon said with anger, in which scared Sanghyuk.

 

He immediately asked his secretary to photocopy the list without hesitation. When Hakyeon finally got the copy, Sanghuk walked him to the elevator.

 

"Just make sure you do your job properly Sanghyuk-ah." Hakyeon said as he patted Sanghyuk's .

 

Cha Hakyeon's heart was beating crazily, he was nervous as hell. What he's doing was actually illegal. When the elevator door finally opened, he immediately got inside and started pushing the close button repeatedly. When the door finally closed, he released a sigh of relief.

 

"Uhh! That was nerve wrecking!" Hakyeon said to no one in particular and held his chest.

 

He opened the photocopy and immediately search for 'Lee Hongbin'. He sighed frustratingly when he saw that there are over 200 Lee Hongbins who travelled to Bangkok in 2007. At least each Lee Hongbin had their contact information there.

 

 

 

 

Sunmi was at her office lobby waiting for her co-workers, since they decided to eat out. He saw Hakyeon go inside the building with a smile. When he saw her, he immediately bowed at her and approached her.

 

"Ahem.. I tried calling you, but it seems that you turned your phone off." Hakyeon said seriously.

 

"Even then, how can you just come here?" Sunmi asked with an annoyed expression.

 

"Then, should I just go to your house?" Hakyeon asked innocently.

 

"No. Not that either." When Sunmi saw some people pass by, she immediately dragged Hakyeon to hide. She doesn't want others to fuss over the fact that some guy visited her. She just broke up with Wonsik and if people see her, they might think wrongly of her.

 

"Today.... Today is not just a good day for me. I'm sorry Hakyeon-ssi." 

 

"Why are you suddenly being like this, Ms. Choi?"

 

"You already know that my mother only forced me to go there. I don't even want to do it." She said as she walked out on their hiding spot.

 

Sunmi suddenly turned around again and said, "Just keep the deposit Hakyeon-ssi. Thank you for working hard."

 

Surprise was an understatement. Hakyeon was very shocked.

 

"Do you think I do this for money?!" He didn't mean to shout, but Sunmi's stubborn nature just frustrates him. There were a lot of people who were looking at them, and one of them were Sunmi's friends, who just came out of the elevator.

 

"I am one step ahead already Sunmi-ssi. I found out that he's also 27 years old. Since I'm already here, just let me see through it." Hakyeon continued. By this point, everyone was already looking at them with question in their eyes.

 

"Uhm... I got it Hakyeon-ssi. Just contact me on my phone." Sunmi said as he looked at the others. They were obviously causing a scene. She turned around and saw that her friends were already looking at her curiously.

 

"I did! But you didn't take the call!!!" Hakyeon shouted in frustration, in which Sunmi turned to look at him again with surprise expression. There were more people who listened to them than before. He took a hold of Sunmi's shoulders.

 

"I can't give up easily like that." Hakyeon said as he shook Sunmi's shoulders.

 

Hakyeon let go of her and handed her the copy of the names.

 

"Make sure you call me, I'll be waiting." He said as he turned away from Sunmi, but stopped after a few steps.

 

"I didn't want to say this.... But you are my first." He said and he continued on his way.

 

"What?!" Summi said. The people were starting to whisper, some guys were making cat calls. She just ended up smiling awkwardly at them. She had her head down and went to her friends, who bombarded her with question, in which she didn't answer.

 

'Aigoo~ why am I blushing all of a sudden?' Sunmi thought to herself.

 

 

 

 

"Don't even bother waiting for my text. Just so you know, this will be my first and last text. And don’t come to my office anymore." Sunmi typed in as she pressed send to Hakyeon’s number.

 

No matter how much she's not over Hongbin after all these years, she truly believes that if they are destined to be together, then destiny will bring them together. That is why she's truly against her mom's persistence to hire Hakyeon to find Hongbin.

 

She fell asleep just like that, without even waiting for Hakyeons's reply. The next day, as she was entering the office lobby, she saw a familiar figure waiting for her.

 

"I told you not to come here anymore. Didn't you receive my text?" She said as she approached Hakyeon.

 

"I received it all right." Hakyeon said with a smile that annoyed the heck out of her. She still couldn't forget how much questions were thrown at her by her colleagues yesterday.

 

"Then what are you still doing here?"

 

"Your mother is my client Ms. Choi. She's the only person I could listen to for this operation."

 

Sunmi let out an exasperated sigh of annoyance.

 

"But it’s about my first love. How can you be so stubborn?" When Sunmi said this, Hakyeon just smiled gently at her, which annoyed her some more.

 

"I'm not being stubborn. It's just part of the company rules and regulations." Hakyeon said as he opened a copy of the rule book that he made when he started his company.

 

Sunmi suddenly busted out of laughter which surprised Hakyeon.

 

"How could you have a company rule book, which is like what? 50 pages? When the CEO/founder himself is the sole employee of the company?" Sunmi continued to laugh which in return, Hakyeon pouted.

 

"I just want to be prepared just in case the company gets bigger. Now will you please listen to me Sunmi-ssi?" Hakyeon said as he opened the rule book and showed Sunmi a clause.

 

Sunmi wanted to end this surprise visit already, so she ended up listening to him.

 

"The third clause item number 5..." Hakyeon showed Sunmi.

 

"What? Where is it? I can't read..."

 

Hakyeon was busy showing Sunmi the clause that he didn't even notice that their faces are only a few inches apart. Sunmi was also too busy reading the clause that Hakyeon was showing her. They were both looking down on the rule book that their cheeks are almost touching. Suddenly, whistles and teases can be heard from none other than, Sunmi's office mates who just arrived the building.

 

"Sunmi-ah! You told your us that there's nothing between you two. Why are your faces so close?" Lee Jaehwan, one of Sunmi's office mates/friend said in a teasing manner.

 

"Wow! You look like a married couple. Daebak! I'm so jealous" Jiyeon, another friend of Sunmi, also said.

 

The other guys who also arrived still whistled to tease them both. Hakyeon just smiled at them awkwardly.

 

"Ani... It's not what you think guys..." 

 

"Don't bother explaining. There's nothing wrong with what you’re doing." One of the guys said.

 

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" Jaehwan started shouting, which was then followed by the others by saying 'Kiss' repeatedly.

 

Hakyeon gulped in nervousness, while Sunmi glared at Jaehwan, telling her to make everyone stop.

 

"Uhm... Please focus on this clause... All entrusted tasks covers.... Kiss." Hakyeon said, which surprised him and Sunmi.

 

Everyone heard what Hakyeon said and laughed it off. Jaehwan felt successful with the teasing and finally stopped the commotion that they caused.

 

"Aigoo! Let's go guys! Let's leave the lovers alone. They've suffered enough teasings." Jaehwan led everyone to the elevator. Sunmi made a mental note to herself to strangle Jaehwan later.

 

"Uhm... There's no kiss in here. Sorry." Hakyeon said still in daze.

 

 

 

 

"Uhm... I heard that you have a boyfriend." Sungjae, from the Marketing Department said to her as they were chatting in the lounge.

 

"He's not my boyfriend. We just... Needed to settle somethings." Sunmi said defensively.

 

"That's how love always starts."

 

"No way! There's no way! Not with that guy!" She said as she made an X sign using her hands.

 

"From the first glance, he has already been an eyesore. Did you see the way he dresses up?! He's just so nerdy... If everything is all settled, I don't even want to see him." Sunmi said as he continued.

 

Sungjae was supposed to say something, but he went quiet when he saw someone standing near them. Sunmi was still continuing to criticize Hakyeon. She was facing Sungjae, but Hakyeon was standing behind her, so she couldn't really see him. Sungjae was making signals that someone was behind her and that she should stop. When Sunmi finally turned around, she was shocked to see Hakyeon's pouting face.

 

"What are you doing here?" Sunmi said standing up. She felt guilty in saying all of those things about him.

 

"You left these paper works downstairs, and everyone said that you were here, so I came here to return these to you." He said with a hint of sadness in his voice. He placed the paper works on the floor slowly. After he did so, he smiled at her awkwardly. When Hakyeon turned around, Sunmi tried to stop him.

 

"Hey... Hey!" Sunmi said. But to no avail Hakyeon already ran to the exit while whining.

 

 

 

 

Hakyeon was on his way to his office the next day when he saw Sunmi was waiting for him. They both went inside the office. Hakyeon was browsing his computer while Sunmi was sitting in front of him awkwardly.

 

 

"What are you here for Sunmi-ssi?"

 

"Uhm... M... Sor...." She mumbled, looking at anywhere except for him.

 

"What?"

 

"I'm sorry about yesterday." Sunmi looked down.

 

Hakyeon finally looked at her and smiled.

 

"It's okay. But now that you're here, let's get back to business." He said as Sunmi sighed.

 

Hakyeon opened his desk drawer and took out something and gave it to Sunmi.

 

'Lee Hongbin of Korea' Sunmi read the title of the thick binder book that Hakyeon gave her. She immediately opened the book and flipped the pages. She sighed.

 

"What happened to the airline names that you gave me? And there's no pictures here, how would we know which is the real one?"

 

"I tried contacting the names on the first paper I gave you, but most of it were disconnected. That's why I got this. Besides, we don't know how much he has changed over the past 7 years. Don't you wish to find this person?"

 

"I do!"

 

"Then stop being stubborn."

 

"Fine! Then go look for him."

 

 

 

 

They were at a soccer field where in one of the Lee Hongbins in the country were practicing.

 

"What if he doesn't recognize me?" Sunmi said.

 

"As long as you recognize him, then that will do."

 

They were both keeping an eye on the guy that has the name Lee Hongbin on his jersey. They couldn't really see him since they were standing by the entrance. Suddenly, the ball flew close to their direction. Lee Hongbin turned to their direction and both of them immediately pretended to not notice the ball.

 

"Uhm... Excuse me!" Hakyeon knew that that was directed to him, but he ignored it.

 

"The man over there! Can you please hand us the ball?!" Hakyeon gave up in pretending and took hold of the ball. But for some particular reason, he wanted to impress Sunmi. He put the ball back down and proceeded to kick the ball. Sunm looked at him, and was surprise to see that he fell down. Apparently, when he tried to kick the ball, he slipped. And the ball was left untouched.

 

"You're so embarassing!" Sunmi said and ran towards the direction of Hakyeon's car.

 

The second Lee Hongbin was a plastic surgeon. It was awkward for Sunmi since he offered her a job, saying that her was kind of lacking. What's worst was he took a picture of Sunmi and edited it to make her s bigger, in front of Hakyeon. Hakyeon blushed profusely, so Sunmi took that as her cue to leave.

 

The third one was a dirty fat man. Hakyeon left her behind because he was scared when he saw how big the man was. At least the guy was kind enough to treat her lunch.

 

 

 

 

They met 20 Lee Hongbins that day. By the end of the night, Hakyeon and Sunmi were both tired. Hakyeon was on his way to drop Sunmi off, but the latter wanted to stop by the bar to drink. Meeting 20 Lee Hongbins in one day bought her too much stress.

 

Sunmi opened her second bottle of soju. She didn't even bother using the shot glass given to her, and proceeded to drink straight from the bottle. Hakyeon, on the other hand, drank diet coke beside her. He wasn't sure how much tolerance she has for alcohol, but he knows that he needs to stop her now before something happens.

 

"Put that down now Sunmi-ssi." Hakyeon said as he took hold of the bottle. But his hand was pushed away by Sunmi who happily drank the soju.

 

"Let's go home now at the count of three... One.... Two.... Three...." After he said that, Sunmi still continued to drink from the bottle, not caring what he says.

 

"Aish! What will you do if you get drunk?"

 

"I'll be careful. I've always wanted to know the feeling of getting drunk" Sunmi said with a smile.

 

"So this means... This is your first time to drink?"

 

Sunmi smiled cutely at him, so he took that as a yes.

 

"I won't let this happen. This has got to stop." Hakyeon said as he took the bottle from Sunmi, this time she didn't resist.

 

"Do you really wish to find him?" Sunmi said in a slurry voice. Now, Hakyeon knew that she was already drunk.

 

"Don't you?"

 

"Cha Hakyeon! Is that you?" When Hakyeon heard his name being called, he turned around and saw that it was his old boss and was accompanied by two body guards.

 

"I never thought that I'd find you drinking! What are you up to lately? Did you find a job?" His boss asked.

 

"Uhm... I actually started a company." Hakyeon said nervously.

 

"You?! You, who met so much failure at such a young age?!" His boss laughed so loud that it annoyed the heck out of Sunmi.

 

"What is your problem? Why are you so rude?" Sunmi said as she stood up glaring at Hakyeon’s boss.

 

"Sunmi-ssi, you can’t treat the boss like that." Hakyeon said.

 

"Boss.. Boss?! Boss my !!" Sunmi said as she threw her fist to taunt that she was going hit the boss.

 

"Is this woman your girlfriend?!" The boss asked in surprise.

 

"Who are you to ask?" She taunted again.

 

"I'm already feeling upset! You're all dead meat! Why are you so arrogant!?" Sunmi said as she took another swing which almost hit the boss' face.

 

Hakyeon dragged her out of the bar. He was about to open the door when he felt her limping. He turned around to face him, but Sunmi was already unconscious. She landed on his chest, while Hakyeon's back was leaning on his car. 

 

'Why does she look so peaceful like this?' Hakyeon thought as he looked at Sunmi's face closely.

 

Suddenly, Sunmi's eyes flew open and she smiled at him as she was still leaning on his chest. But Sunmi felt nauseous and ended up vomiting on Hakyeon, and knocked unconscious again.

 

"Aish chincha!" Hakyeon cursed.