One

First Love Agency

"What?! You said no to him?!" Sunmi covered her ears as her mom kept shouting at her for turning down the marriage proposal from Kim Wonsik.

 

"Omma, would you rather have me married off to someone whom I don't love?" Sunmi asked with a sigh.

 

Sunmi doesn't blame her though for thinking that they'd end up marrying each other. But to Mrs. Choi's disappointment, it didn't happen. Sunmi and Wonsik had been together for 5 years. Unfortunately, their relationship had always been one sided. Don't get Sunmi wrong though, she always thought that she loved Wonsik, but the day that he proposed to her, proved her wrong.

 

Would she be happy if she married him?

 

She asked that question over and over again when he asked her. But the answer was always no. She realized that she only loved him as a dependable oppa, not someone who she'd settle down with; much to Wonsik's disappointment, she said no.

 

Sunmi and her mom were silent for a while.

 

"It's not that Sunmi-ah. You're already 27, and you're not getting any younger." Mrs. Choi said with frustration and Sunmi only sighed.

 

"Don't tell me.... Is it because of him again?" Mrs. Choi asked and got her answer when her daughter just looked down on the floor.

 

Of course, Sunmi knows very well who her mother was referring to. How can she forget? He was her first love. She met him while she was on vacation in Thailand.

 

"Omma, I'm gonna go to bed now." Without waiting for her mother's reply, she went upstairs.

 

She washed herself and changed into her sleeping clothes and lied down on the bed.

 

She contemplated for a while, until she stood up and went to her bed side table. Sunmi opened the drawer and took out a diary with a lot of embellishments as a cover.

 

Sunmi opened her diary and the first thing that she saw was a photo of her taken in Bangkok. All of the things written in the diary were written while she was in Thailand.

 

Sunmi smiled as she reminisced the past.

 

 

 

Sunmi was on a plane ride from Seoul to Bangkok. Even though the plane ride will only take a while, but she can't help but feel nauseous.

 

On her defense, this was her first plane ride.

 

She felt that she was almost close to puking that moment. So, she stood up and ran to the nearest rest room. She accidentally bumped into someone. She just bowed her head and continued to run to the rest room.

 

'Ugh! I feel like crap.' Sunmi thought to herself as she sat back down to her seat.

 

"Uhm... Are you okay Miss?" A voice suddenly spoke up.

 

She looked to her left, she recognized the guy as the person whom she accidentally bumped earlier. Sunmi wasn't sure if he was talking to her. She looked around and noticed that she was the only one he was looking at.

 

But just to make sure, she pointed at herself. The guy laughed and nodded his head.

 

"Ahh... Yes, just a little headache." Sunmi answered nervously.

 

'Just a little headache? Yeah right. You can't even speak properly.' Sunmi thought to herself again.

 

"Uhm... I only have one, but you can take this." He handed her a small head ache patch in which Sunmi took gladly.

 

Sunmi ripped the patch in half and gave the other half to him, since he said that he only has one. She applied the small semi-circle patch on the upper part of her neck, since the instruction said that it must be applied on that spot.

 

They spent the rest of the flight talking to each other. Sunmi found out that he was also on vacation and want to get away from the stress that Seoul gives him. The very same reason that she’s leaving in the first place.

 

They knew that the time of separation is coming to an end when they finally arrived in Bangkok.

 

"So, this is it." Sunmi said with a smile.

 

"When can I meet you again?" He asked.

 

"Uhm... When destiny is on our side, then we'd meet again." 

 

When she said that, both of them smiled to each other and went to opposite directions, hoping that they'd see each other again.

 

 

 

Sunmi woke up with the sun shining brightly at her face. She sighed when she realized that she was hugging the diary tightly, as if her life depended on it. She deposited the diary back to the drawer and checked the clock.

 

7:09 am. She decided to finally prepare for work for she needed to finish a lot of things.

 

 

 

"Can you believe that girl? She turned down the proposal of her pilot boyfriend, hoping that she'd meet her first love again." Mrs. Choi said as she ranted about what her daughter did, to her friends.

 

"You know what they say, first love never dies. But your daughter took that quotation too seriously." One of her friends said.

 

"Aigoo~ I don't know what to do with her anymore." She said with a sigh.

 

"Ahh! The son of a friend's friend's friend of mine just recently quit his job and started a business. He said that it wasn't his passion. That's why he started an agency wherein they will locate a person's first love. I think I have his card somewhere here." She took out the card and gave it to Sunmi’s mother.

 

Mrs. Choi looked at the card with doubt.

 

"Is he successful in finding the first loves?" She asked.

 

"Mwolla. Only one way to find out."

 

She looked at the card again.

 

'Uhm.... It wouldn't hurt to try right?' She thought to herself.

 

 

 

He sighed as one of his potential customers left, yet again. 

 

'What is wrong with people?! I thought they would be more passionate in finding their first love, but I guess I was wrong.' He thought to himself.

 

For the past week, many people have come and go in his agency. But he didn't accept any of them. 

 

One of them wanted to find their first love because he wanted to sleep with her. The most absurd one was a woman who wants to locate his husband's first love. You might think its sweet. And he almost accepted the job. But when she told him to 'quickly dispose of her', he asked her to leave.

 

 

 

"Omma! Stop dragging me! I can walk on my own!" Sunmi shouted as her mom dragged her to God knows where. 

 

It was hard for her to be dragged, since she was wearing stilettos. Sunmi thought that her mom was crazy for dragging her out of her office for no reason. What's worst was that, she thought that her boss wouldn't allow her to go out during office hours, but the latter was too afraid of her mom.

 

They arrived at an unfamiliar building. They went up to the second floor and her mom pushed her inside one of the rooms.

 

"What the?! Where are we?!" 

 

"You don't even know where your first love is, and you go recklessly rejecting a guy you dated for 5 years. Aish chincha!"

 

“Is this a matchmaking center?!"

 

Sunmi's mom didn't reply. So in the end, Sunmi just looked around, and her mother did the same. The office (as Sunmi pressumed) looked like a stockroom. There were boxes scattered on the sides. They didn't notice that there was a man standing by the desk, until he started to talk.

 

"Uhm.... It's not a matchmaking center. This is a legitimate company. I just obtained a business license." He said nervously and showed them the framed license.

 

Sunmi almost laughed because of his nervousness. And his nerdy look didn't help at all; from the thick-framed glasses, to hi button-up shirt closed all the way up to his neck, and his trousers that are just a little too big on the leg area for him. She ended up snorting which earned her a glare from her mom.

 

"Is this the first love agency?" Her mom asked politely.

 

"Uhm.... Yes. I'm Cha Hakyeon, the founder of this agency. Please take a seat." He said with a smile.

 

They were all silent for a few minutes, only stares where shared. Hakyeon couldn't take it anymore.

 

"Uhm.... May I kno...." Hakyeon was about to ask their names, but she was cut off by Sunmi.

 

"Even then, can you help me find someone?" Sunmi asked with seriousness in her tone.

 

"100% guaranteed." Mrs. Choi said. Hakyeon was about to object, but Mrs. Choi glared at him.

 

"Uhm.... We will try our best. As long as you provide us reliable information. The more information, the better." Hakyeon assured.

 

"So, I just give you sufficient information, and you're sure that you can find him?" Sunmi asked again.

 

"Of couse!" Hakyeon answered confidently.

 

"Okay great! Now let's get this over with, I have a lot of things to do."

 

 

 

Yonghwa opened a new document in his laptop to type all the information that his first client would provide.

 

"Where was he from?" Hakyeon asked as he adjusted his glasses.

 

"Uhm.... I don't really know."

 

"Where did he graduate?"

 

"I'm not really sure."

 

"His age?" Hakyeon's voice is slowly rising up.

 

'Tsk! How can she love someone without even knowing the basic information about him?' Hakyeon thought to himself.

 

"Don't know."

 

"Uhm.... You must've met up somewhere atleast."

 

"..."

 

"..."

 

"Bangkok."

 

Hakyeon smiled, because at least he got some information out of her.

 

"What's the person’s name?"

 

"...bin..." Sunmi mumbled.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Hong....." Sunmi mumbled again. But her mom slapped her leg to speak clearly. She almost forgot that she was even there.

 

"You! Are you really being this stubborn again?! Do you want me to bring all of your suitors?! That would be much easier for both of us!" Mrs. Choi shouted.

 

"Lee!" Sunmi shouted too, which surprised her mom and Hakyeon.

 

"Lee..."

 

"Hong..."

 

"Bin..."

 

“Lee Hongbin”

 

Sunmi said as she remembered when they first met seven years ago in an aircraft to Bangkok.

 

 

 

 

After they had separated, Sunmi toured around the city while riding a tok-tok. The weather was hot that day, but she didn't mind it at all for she was enjoying her tour too much.

 

Everyone looked at her for she was one of the few foreigners who was walking around the small streets of Bangkok.

 

She tried many different delicacies of Thailand, and even bought souvenirs for her friends back in Seoul.

 

 

 

Hakyeon was looking at the map of Bangkok that he printed out. He traced all the places that Sunmi went to.

 

It was very hard for him since Sunmi didn't give that much information about this Lee Hongbin guy. With a sigh, he stood up and left the office since it was already getting late. He promised himself that he wouldn't give up on this, she was, after all, his first official client.