Final

One Call Away

It’s almost midnight when you heard someone laughing happily from the living room where you stayed for filming your new TV series. It supposedly becomes your home with her. And it supposedly be the place where you would spend most of the time to know each other and build the chemistry between both of you.

But lately – when you are not too busy in your lalaland – you start to notice she always busy on the phone every time the camera turned off.

At first you convince yourself it’s just a phone call to/from her family. Since her family lives at Seoul, maybe she always visits them on break. And since this shooting take times and away from there, it makes her can’t go visit them as usual. Maybe she doesn’t want to make her family worry or something, that’s why she always informs them about her condition here.

But it becomes so hard to convince yourself since there is this giggles coming from her. It’s the same giggles that only come from girl that is in love. And it is not caused by you. It caused by anyone who talk to her on that phone.

And it makes you jealous.Because you start to understand her cute smile to you is just for the show.

You can’t see the sparkles in her eyes like when she talks on the phone. You never see the stupid grin for anything the caller said to her. And you hardly hear the same sincerity as she said, “I miss you,” every time she ended the call.

You even can feel the longing when she is staring at her phone. She is almost like praying the other part will call her again.

It makes you really jealous and curious at the same time.

And you think you don’t have to wait to figure it out. Tomorrow her members will visit your house. It’s part of the script, but you think this will be your opportunity to know her better. And whoever her secret love is, you will find out from them.

*

You almost glad she only has three members in their group beside her. First, it is easier for you to remember their names. Second, three eyes staring at you is enough to intimidate you. You can’t tell what they’re thinking about you. And in weird way, you feel guilty although you haven't commited any criminal yet.

Maybe they don’t like you because you take her leader or unnie or who knows what for this show. Or maybe they just judge you for being compatible or incompatible for their precious leader. But whatever it is, you really wish some of them will talk any time soon. And you also think it would be better if your supposedly wife doesn’t mind to introduce you to her ‘family’.

“I’m Moon Byulyi, and just called me Moonbyul. Nice to meet you.”

The tallest girl suddenly offers her hand. This isn’t your first meeting with them actually. You were in the same show with three of them (aka Star King) but at that time, they seemed… ignoring you. But maybe that time, they were busy with Kang Hodong watching any videos on the phone – sort of.

“Eric Nam. Nice to meet you too,” and you can’t be rude by not taking her hand.

“Wheein.”

“Hwasa.”

The other two young girls only follow her. Even your wife plays along and introduces herself again. “Solar. And we’re….Mamamoo.”

They look at her weirdly, but soon after you know it’s just their inside joke because they’re laughing like crazy. You almost startled with that if only you not get used to how weird your wife can be.

“So? When we start? Manager unnie?” Again, the tallest girl takes control, you notice. Moonbyul is more looks like a leader than her. She looks calm and collected, even mature compare to her.

“Wait, Byul, let me ask the producer,” the manager only answers and you only observe them.

“Unnie, I’m hungry,” the girl with short hair – ah, yeah, her name is Hwasa – pulls Moonbyul’s shirt.

“But you just ate,” Moonbyul rolls her eyes. “I drove both of you to nearby tteokboeki restaurant before we came here.”

“Tteokboeki? Why you don’t take me too?” she grabs her hand instead grabbing Moonbyul’s shirt. She even stomps her feet on the floor. You think she acts cutely… but maybe it’s just on your mind.

“Yes, unnie! That’s not enough! We need chicken!” Wheein joins.

You almost think the shortest girl glance at you before joining. You don’t really understand her reason, but you know you’re not imagining it when you think she stares at you. Although Moonbyul is tall but it’s not enough to hide how Wheein observe you back.

You get caught. That’s why you cough and look away, pretending you're busy observing the curtain.

“After you done with this show, let’s go for food trip just four of us,” Moonbyul once again takes the control. “And for chicken, if both of you behave, we’ll get it later.”

“Yay!!” the maknaes busily jumping here and there while you can see your wife pout at her. Anyone who sees it will want to pinch her cheeks. But in your position, you think it will be best if you wait and see what Moonbyul will be doing next.

It almost the same feeling with being forced sitting on the couch, watch a movie. You won’t move until the credit rolls on the screen unless you want to miss the chance to know the whole story. Last night you made promise to know her better. And to see her interaction with her members is the part of understanding her more. You must do this.

“What about me?” you can hear the small kid voice comes from her. She even tightens her grips on Moonbyul’s hand. She clearly doesn’t want to let her go unless Moonbyul gives her a solid answer.

You meet Moonbyul’s eyes through her. She is aware you’re observing them. Instead saying out loud, Moonbyul decides to whisper to her ear. And whatever she said, you’re feeling sort of déjà vu. You hear the giggles again. You really wish you can deny that.

“We will start in 5 minutes. Be ready, girls!”

The other wish you make that day is… you can act smoothly without being awkward. But you almost sure you will fail.

 *

“It’s a wrap! Thank you for your hardworking!”

You almost can’t hide how relief you are when the direction finally ended the shooting. You almost feel like in the wrong place and wrong time every time you catch her glancing at Moonbyul. It feels like you are the one who visiting the newlywed than being the one.

Even now… you can see how relax she is lying her back on Moonbyul’s chest – between Moonbyul’s legs – while the taller girl playing video game on TV. She even doesn’t mind when Moonbyul puts her chin on her head while she is carrying a bag of crispy potato.

Since you agreed to sign the contract, you secretly learnt about your partner. Most common information you found on the internet was how close she is with Moonbyul. You even can find their old pictures on Moonbyul’s account. Yep, you secretly visited their café only to find more pictures of them.

And what make you amaze the most is… you can see how openly they’re touching each other on the show. You think maybe it’s because they are enjoying the show or something. Even in radio show, Moonbyul admitted she always touch someone’s stomach when nervous. But their closeness now… you sure it’s not because anyone here feels nervous.

Jealous, yes. Nervous, definitely no.

“Unnie, do you have ramen noodles or something here? I’m hungry,” Wheein’s voice helps to take away your eyes from them and cut your train of thoughts.

It hurts for you to see them, but you can’t help but stare. You really want to be Moonbyul at some point, but you think you start to understand where you stand.

“Just find it in the kitchen. It should be somewhere there.”

She even doesn’t bother to glance at the short girl for a second. She is too immersing into the game although she isn’t the one who playing the game.

“Oppa, can you help me find one?” Wheein suddenly looks at you. “If you don’t go with me now, I believe Hyejin will eat any edible things nearby.”

You feel the threat, not by her words but the eyes that look deeply into you. Once again, you feel intimidating because the youngest girl also looks at you with the same way.

You take your time to go to the kitchen and rummaging the container. You realize the two young girls following you there. And you know, they’re not really need the ramen noodles. They want a word with you.

“Whatever you see in there, please keep it in your mind.”

Hwasa even doesn’t wait until you turn around to face them when she starts to speak.

“And we just here for ramen noodles,” Wheein takes the noodles from your hand.

“If you need bowls, just take it from that cupboard,” you try being cool and get along with the conversation. You notice they are the issue cleaner. You wouldn’t expect any problems with them.

*

“Unnie, let’s go home. I’m sleepy,” Wheein pulls Moonbyul’s jacket after done with the kitchen with Hwasa. The last girl doesn’t let you to use her real name – which is Hyejin – so even in your thought, you’re respecting it.

“Have you cleaned the kitchen?” Moonbyul looks up after pause her game. She is still comfortably lying between her legs.

“Yes, we do,” Hwasa is the one who answer. “Omo! Is Yongsun unnie sleeping?”

Moonbyul hasn’t notice it, you can see the shock in her face along with gentle smile afterward.

“Yeba, wake up. It’s time for me to go home.”

You blink few times to hear how Moonbyul calls her. You remember she asked you to erase that name from her nickname lists. But what you feel like being slap on the face is when you remembered there’s star on that name. Byul… star… how come you didn’t notice that?!

“But we’re home…” sleepily she turns around and wraps her arms around Moonbyul’s waist. The rapper only giggles to see her action.

“Nope. I’m not. This is your house, not mine,” patiently Moonbyul waits until she opens her eyes while caressing her face. “Good morning, Yeba.”

She is sleepily grinning at Moonbyul but you can see a twinkle in her eyes. She clearly doesn’t hate that nickname, but she doesn’t want you to use it.

“I need to go home now. It’s getting late,” gently Moonbyul speaks to her. You can see she doesn’t like the idea. She wants her to stay.

“C’mon, unnie! Lets go now! I’m sleepy!!” Wheein starts whining while pulling Moonbyul’s sweater.

“Yeah! C’mon, unnie! You promise us to see sunrise on the beach! We need to wake early for it!” Hwasa also do the same, ruining their moment.

You almost think they do it for you if only you don’t feel like second husband for her.

And why second husband?

It feels like you just see her ex-husband come visit with their kids to see your wife. And when night comes, the kids are missing their bed and force the ex-husband to take them home.

And you? As being part of her new life, you can’t do anything but letting them have their moments before bid farewell.

Unwillingly she gets up from her position. In smooth way, she finds her way to grab Moonbyul’s hand. Like their hands have a magnet, it comes together so quickly even before you have time to blink your eyes.

While they are start walking to the front door, you get up from the couch. At last, you sort of have a pride to show them who is the current husband now.

“You sure you don’t want to stay? This house is pretty big. I think they have empty room somewhere,” being a big guy, you throw a polite question.

The light in her eyes almost beat the light from the moon that night. She definitely likes your idea. You feel smug for it because finally it wasn’t her who gives that effect to your wife. Although if you think clearly, it is also means she is happy to have the tallest girl longer here.

“No, we’re good,” calmly Moonbyul takes down your offer. “I just need a cup of coffee and we’re fine.”

What you don’t understand is you can see the smug on Moonbyul’s face when she can see the disappointment on her face. She starts pouting and Moonbyul seems enjoying it more.

“Goodnight, unnie. We’ll wait you home,” Wheein and Hwasa take turn to hug her. And you don’t miss the word ‘home’ they said to her. Now you feel like a kidnapper.

“Call me later,” she hugs Moonbyul tightly, clearly doesn’t want to let go.

“I’ll text you when I’m home,” Moonbyul promise but she pouts.

The next you don’t know because Moonbyul once again whispers again while staring at you.

“Please take care of her,” Moonbyul now speaks to you. “She can be hard sometimes, but she’s nice.”

“I will. Don’t worry,” you reply without thinking. It’s just reflex. At the same time you stop yourself for questioning where your position now.

“Bye, Oppa,” meanwhile the two young girls’ only give short goodbye before running to the car.

“Yah! Don’t run!”

You can hear Moonbyul scolds while following them. But your eyes keep on her giggling to see their antics.

“Let’s sleep, Oppa. Goodnight.”

Without waiting your reply, she enters the house as quickly as possible after the car gone from the sight. You know the reason when you can hear the ringing tone from the living room.

Once again you can see her dating with her phone tonight. You decide to walk to your own room because you have no doubt who talks to her. Today is enough for you to get the proofs and you don’t want to open your wound a little bit more. It’s already hurt as hell.

AT FIRST you felt happy because finally you met a girl with a good criteria as girlfriend.

Her face is pretty. Her smile is cute. And she is really nice.

Although she can be really…stupid sometimes, but maybe it’s because she’s too innocent.

Sometimes she acts like 5 years old, but she really cares about others.

She gives a good impression to you since the first met.

And you sure, your mom will love her if you take her home.

If only… you don’t witness it yourself how she in love with someone else.

She's next to you, but mostly her mind isn't there. Even you're next to each other, you know better she isn't completely there.

Otherwise, they are only one call away, but you can see how their heart are connected.


I think I should stop writing. This story is a crap.

And this will be my last fanfic if I get comment less than 10.

But I will appreciate you more if you want to leave any comments here.

Thanks & Bye!