Prologue Part Two

Reclaimed

 

Prologue Part Two

“Well, don’t you look positively repulsive.” That was the first thing that came out of Jiyong’s mouth when he took in her bloodied appearance. Flipping him off, she motioned to the humans. He smirked, waving his hand in the air as it was engulfed in an emerald fire for a few seconds before the humans disappeared. He gestured towards her, extending his arm out.

 

“We should probably get a move on before that idiot’s thugs decide to bust in.” She feigned a grimace as she interlinked her arm around his, darkness suddenly enclosed her vision with the stomach unsettling sensation of transporting.

 

“I would think a wizard as powerful as you would be able to master the art of transporting without inducing the nauseating sensation onto your company.”  

 

“Perhaps it was pay back for disturbing my sleep.” He grumbled in distain, paying attention to his new set of patients.

 

She scoffed in disbelief. “You could sleep for a century and still wake up an .”

 

“Go to the bathroom and wash the blood off, you look like someone who had a sloppy first kill and it just doesn’t suit you.” He waved her off absentmindedly, already in doctor mode.

 

The sliver haired woman wandered into the hallway, immediately being hit by the scent of disinfectant. She glided through, ignoring the startled looks of people along her way until she reached the toilet. They knew better than to tattle though, they’ve probably seen worse in their time. She was able to see what Jiyong was talking about once she got a proper look at her dishevelled look that made her look like a badly put together Halloween costume.

 

She grimaced, wetting some of the tissues to remove the blood from her face and body the best she could. Though, it only seemed that her attempts made the stains even more visible. Knowing that she would need to scrub her skin with scalding hot water and soap, she relented in her actions and made her way back.

 

“I’m surprised they lasted this long with the venom in their bloodstreams,” He commented airily as she entered back into the room, his gaze resting on one as he monitored his vitals. “Care to explain why I can detect traces of your blood in them?”

 

Chaerin leaned against the wall, closing her eyes. “Do I expect a lecture coming along?”

 

“While I can commend you for saving them from the goodness of your black heart—though it’s gonna be short lived as all you’ve done really is curse them to a life of damnation. You know the implications of formulating a blood bond.” He shot her an exasperated look as if explaining to a petulant child.

 

“I’m well aware,” She replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “The bond will fizzle out in due course, by that time they’ll be assigned a new mentor who would be saddled with this baggage.” Blood bonds were by far considered to be the most sacred, once exchanged between the two parties involved it was inevitably a permanent fixture. However, in this case Chaerin did not feel any attachments to the bodies in this room, but it couldn’t be said for them about her.

 

At least, it should last for a short term period. She could just about manage to deal with that.

 

He shot a sideways glance. “You know, once they wake up, they’ll be craving only your blood.”

 

Chaerin scoffed, opening her eyes to look at the ceiling. “Well that’s tough .” She pushed herself off the wall, noting the stain of blood on the white paint from her ruined dress. There was no doubt in her mind that Bom would be pleased with knowing that another of her dresses had been reduced to a shambled mess.

 

He pinched the bridge of his nose. “I suppose it would make more sense to stop the exposure now, I’ll have to substitute their cravings with someone of the same blood type as you.” He pressed a button to signal for one of the nurses. “We’d be lucky if we don’t run out of type A blood bags.”

 

The sliver haired woman folded her arms over her chest. “I’ll cover the costs to replace them, so you don’t have to worry about that.”

 

Jiyong exhaled sharply. “That’s not what I’m worried about, Chaerin.” The woman in question knew that yet remained silent. “The situation was blown out of proportion. You needed back up for this job but you’re so damn stubborn that you’d rather go out there alone.”

 

There was nothing but silence between the two for a while. It was futile arguing; it would only end up with a screaming match since the pair were as stubborn as each other. The last thing she needed was these humans—if that’s what they were anymore—to wake up.

 

“I handled a ty situation the best I could,” She stated, averting her eyes to stare out the window of the dusky sky. “If you would have preferred me to have left these guys to die, then I can just as easily take away their damned lives, as you so eloquently put it.”

 

The blond haired male cursed under his breath, shaking his head. “That’s not what I’m saying. There would have been consequences no matter what your decision.” He looked at her solemnly. “I just wish that you would let me help you.”

 

Chaerin levelled his stare. “And I wish you would shut the hell up, but we can’t all have what we want.” Taking a sweeping glance of the room once more, she continued. “Let me know if anything changes here.” Jiyong merely jerked his head but otherwise did not respond, his expression neutral yet his jaw was tense.

 

She spun on her heel, the tapping of her black stilettos echoed in the room. The sliver haired woman turned her head as she reached the door to glance backwards.

“…Thank you, Jiyong.”

 

 

 

 

It was still in the early hours of the morning when she arrived at her home.

 

She could feel the strains of exhaustion pulling at her but resisted as she ditched her dress and undergarments in favour of sitting in her shower. Just the feeling of that bastard’s blood splatted over her made her skin crawl and to bring him back from the dead to make his death more painful. The very thought made her scrub her skin until it became red and raw until she was barely satisfied and leaned her head back against the tilted wall and closed her eyes. 

 

But no matter how much she tried to feel tranquil, she could not easily wipe away the fresh memories of the pain induced screams. The smug smirk on Joonho’s face remained printed in her mind even as his life was ripped away from him. Soon enough, an excess amount of steam puffed around the room akin to a makeshift sauna. Willing herself to get up, she turned the shower off and grabbed a towel on the way out.

 

After sluggishly drying her hair, though she did end up quickly giving up and allowed it to dry naturally to complete her usual nightly routine. Chaerin pulled on a shirt that fell to her thighs, climbing into bed. She left the nightstand light on and leaned against her pillow to stare up at her ceiling. Sleep did not claim her to the land of unconsciousness.

 

Often she preferred it that way. Not that she dreamed much, it was more borderline nightmares. Except, rather than being irrational and not real, they were vivid memories of the horrors she had inflicted on her victims.

 

She was fortunate enough to sleep for a couple of hours if not less each night, that is unless an assignment took longer than excepted to complete. Chaerin looked at the clock sitting on the bedside table. 5am ticked back at her, almost mocking her of how little time she would have to sleep—that is if she was able to.

 

Forcing herself to sleep, she closed her eyes and tried to ignore the images that jumped up instantly. It took some time but as the sun outside began its ascend she had already drifted off.

 

 

 

 

The buzzing of her phone’s vibration were amongst some of the factors that woke her up later. She nuzzled her head further into her plush pillow, not bothering to pick it up.

 

After a minute or so had passed, her phone was silenced. She barely registered it, her sleep deprived state simply dismissed it. If it was urgent, they would have just kept ringing, though she may have been more inclined to destroy her phone there and then if that were to happen.

 

At the back of her mind, she could sense a presence trying to enter her apartment. That was sufficient in making her sit up, she focused for a moment before rolling her eyes. Taking her time, she threw her hair up into a loose ponytail as she walked barefooted into her kitchen to brew some coffee.

 

“Phone calls probably wasn’t the best method of getting in touch with me. Quite frankly, I can’t help but feel disappointed. Usually you just teleport into my room and bug me until I get up.” She stated nonchalantly, it wasn’t until she reached the kitchen that she seemed to take note of the silence.

 

“Are you really going to pull the silent card on me?” She blew the pesky strands of hair that fell into her eyes, once the coffee had been taken care of she turned around. It was only then that she realised the reason behind the stillness.

 

Instead of seeing a sullen Jiyong, there were seven figures standing in her apartment.

 

She took a moment to compose herself, fully expecting bursts of anger and frustration to be thrown at her. Though she wasn’t a certified medic, she was almost certain the best place for them was the hospital. The blood lust would be far too strong for them to resist at this stage.

 

“What are you doing here?” Perhaps if she wasn’t so gutsy, she wouldn’t have been so straightforward. They were in every essence feral, newborn vampires were unstable and were unaware of how to control their new heightened abilities especially with the absence of their creator.

 

At first, no one answered. She cocked an eyebrow and leaned against the kitchen unit, folding her arms over her chest. “Really? I would have thought you came here to rip my heart out too, if not to air your grievances.”

 

“…Grievances?” One seemed to murmur softly then chuckled, the sound growing darker by the second. “Are we simply complaining about having bad service or returning an unwanted item?”

 

Chaerin ran a hand through her hair, untangling it from her ponytail in the process. She shrugged noncommittedly, aware that anything she would say would only add more fuel to the fire so she decided to keep it simple. “The situation isn’t great, but I can assure you that it’s being dealt with.”

 

“Of course it’s not great. It’s nothing short of a nightmare! You’ve turned us into monsters, don’t you understand that? I would have chosen death a thousand times over this fate.” He shouted blatantly throwing caution to the wind, fury blazing in his eyes. “You took that choice from us and all you can do is shrug your shoulders and wipe your hands clean of us?”

 

In his anger induced haze, he threw the nearest item to him—which happened to be a glass vase that flew forward at such a velocity that it collided with such a force that it cut one side of her forehead. Chaerin could have easily moved out of the way, but she could not deny what he was saying was right. Ribbons of fresh blood streamed from the places where the glass struck. She could tell from the darkened irises and heavy breathing, the urge to drain her dry was becoming all too tempting.

 

He stuttered, his eyes widened upon seeing her injury. In an instant, he stepped over timidly to get a closer look. “O-Oh, I’m terribly s-sorry…I d-didn’t mean—“

 

“No need to apologise.” She dismissed his concerns, barely registering the wound in the first place. This didn’t deter him as he frowned even more. Chaerin stood up and padded her way towards her bathroom. “Just give me a minute to clean this up.”

 

Upon seeing the badly concealed bloodthirsty expressions on their faces she motioned towards her fridge. “There’s some blood bags in there, just don’t go too crazy.”

 

She closed the door behind her, leaning against for a second before she carried on with her task at hand. Not even a minute had passed before there was a soft knock on the door, so quiet that a human would have easily overlooked it. The grey haired woman had removed the last of the shards before it opened.

 

The male popped around and shut it, looking beyond nervous. Though, she had to give him some credit, he had balls to talk to her after pulling that stunt.

 

“I wanted to help…since it was my fault in the first place.” He fidgeted slightly, trying his best for his gaze not to linger on the bloodied side of her head.

 

Chaerin wrapped the glass up in a pile of tissues. “You any good with doing stiches? Because I’d rather not have you faint on me.”

 

He bobbed his head almost too eagerly. “Yes, in fact I used to knit and sew my sister’s clothes when they brok—never mind.” He halted hastily, stumbling over as the nerves returned in full force.

 

He worked in silence, though his heartbeat was distracting with its erratic beats. The brunt took longer than she was used to, though Jiyong would have worn her ears out with his complaints so she questioned whether she would have preferred the latter. The eerie quietness was somewhat unsettling.

 

He seemed to have a habit of biting his nails, something that she loathed. She made to say a passing comment to lighten the heavy air when she narrowed her eyes. His eyes were no longer bright but black as he tilted his head at her, removing his thumb from his mouth to reveal specks of her blood which stained his fingertips. It didn’t take a genius to guess the following events that took place. He was feral in his actions, his fangs elongated as he went straight for her neck.

 

Chaerin gritted her teeth in irritation, reaching out to grab his hair to throw him to the other side of the room before she really did some damage to his flower boy face. However, he seemed to be a step in front of her. He pulled her closer, a smirk played on his lips.

 

“I’m gonna savour every little last drop of blood you’ve been holding out on me, darling.” He twirled a damp strand of her hair to purr into her ear in what she assumed to be an attempt of seduction.

 

She could not suppress the snarl that broke through , not bothering holding back on her strength as she punched him. He flew back through her door causing it to snap off its hinges until he landed harshly on his back. The others snapped around to stare at her in bewilderment but she didn’t give them a chance to talk.

 

“Whoever pulls a stunt like that next is going straight through the window.” She growled, slamming her bedroom door on the way.


Now we got the tedious beginning out the way, I'm sure the rest should be more fun to write. Who can guess who the guy at the ending was? It probably isn't who you think it is.