Alternate Ending

Effort Counts but It Isn't Enough

Present in real ending has never happen.

Present is now in Hakyeon Parent’s House, 5 years after Taekwoon’s death.


One and a half hour before, Hakyeon’s Apartment

“Beautiful” Hakyeon breath in the flowers he keep on the vase right next to his bed. His bedside table that has been long forgotten, turned dust-free for the sake of this single vase.

“Are you going to continue admiring the flower or are you going to give the sender of that flower a morning kiss?” A morning gruff voice broke his stance.

Hakyeon turned to give his boyfriend of almost 4 years a kiss.

“I didn’t want do disturb your sleep Wonshikie!” Hakyeon said, a giggle in his voice.

“Hmm. As if, your kiss would probably give me beautiful dreams”

“But then you won’t wake up”

Wonshik, is Hakyeon’s boyfriend and Taekwoon’s soccer mate/best friend. Hakyeon never known of that fact until 5 years ago. But then again Taekwoon doesn’t talk much, not like Hakyeon gives him any chance to anyway.

5 years.

That is such a long time.

5 years ago, Taekwoon has died.

5 years ago, Hakyeon loses his passion.

5 years ago, Hakyeon was at the rooftop of a hospital,

5 years ago, Hakyeon meets Wonshik.

And 5 years ago, Hakyeon would have died if it isn’t for Wonshik.

Would have permanently loses his Passion if it isn’t for Wonshik.

“Come on, go take a shower, we’re going to your parents this afternoon, remember?”

And if it isn’t for Wonshik, Hakyeon’s family would have been in shambles.

Hakyeon’s sight turns blurry. No. He will not cry. He will save that for later, for now he will get himself ready. He have to look presentable for his parents.


30 Minutes Before Present, Wonshik’s Car

Wonshik has seen the emotions in Hakyeon’s eyes. Clear as day for everyone to see. Hakyeon is always readable anyway. That fact, he knew even before he meet Hakyeon, for Taekwoon’s many times complaining about his bestfriend being too clingy every other time the quiet boy speaks.

After sometimes Taekwoon stop talking about it though. Wonshik know why, he was in the same classroom as Hakyeon. In fact, he’s the one who twisted his bestfriend, Hongbin’s, words. And Wonshik too was one of the boy that is late for lunch with the two of them. The boy who overheard the conversation of bestfriend. The origin of the sentence Hakyeon heavily relied on, Effort Also Counts. Wonshik felt guilty for it. And he has said so at the Hospital rooftop just as Hakyeon is about to jump off.

Hakyeon has said that it’s okay. He should not felt guilty anymore. Wonshik did save his life.

Wonshik thought that it’s a miracle that they become bestfriend, much less boyfriends. No, their love is not cause by guilt. Which is a plus to this miracle.

But Wonshik won’t ever stop feeling guilty.

Wonshik just hope that when they meet Hakyeon’s parents. They won’t get mad at him for ruining their son’s life.

He did gives his all effort to make up for it.


Present, Hakyeon Parent’s Living Room

“Hakyeonie!” Hakyeon’s parent quickly enveloped their son in an embraced. An embraced delayed for 5 years now. Wonshik won’t interrupted, he is just here to support Hakyeon, and Hakyeon doesn’t need it now.

Hakyeon cried and Wonshik thought that what he is seeing is beautiful. Not that Hakyeon never cried in front of Wonshik before, he did it a lot. But those were usually sad, painful tears. This one is a mix of regret, guilt, grief, happiness, excitement, and others. Wonshiks thinks it’s a very beautiful kind of mix.

They started sitting on the couch. Both elders looked at Wonshik curiously, but none ask. They started conversing too. But it is obvious Hakyeon’s parents are avoiding their 5 years separated topic. And Hakyeon is clearly avoiding talking about Wonshik. Wonshik though, Wonshik just wanted to get this broken family together again. So Wonshik keep pushing them to both topic.

If Wonshik push them forward. Hakyeon is the one to enter first.

“Eomma. Appa. I’m sorry. For the last few years I was just running away from reality about Taekwoonie. And I really want to understand him you know. He always said effort counts, but it doesn’t work anyway so I-“Hakyeon choked halfway.

It’s okay, that’s why Wonshik is here. To help Hakyeon for these situation. To calm Hakyeon. And just in case, continue the story.

“He tried to lose everything like Taekwoon did. Run away from you. Ignoring dramas, in fact, criticized them. Dance until he lost feeling on his legs. Than he tried to.” A grip on Wonshik’s sleeve stop him from continuing. Looking down, it’s hard not to notice Hakyeon’s trembling.

“I tried to jump off from a rooftop. And then he tried to stop me and cry saying it was all his fault. That he is a friend of Taekwoonie.”Hakyeon’s Parents looks like they wanted to interrupt, but none said a word.

“And then we become friends. He kept helping me through anything. He’s the one who encouraged me to start dancing again. To enjoy dramas. To visit you guys.”

Hakyeon looks up to a grinning Wonshik. And Hakyeon smiles.

“Eomma. Appa. This is my boyfriend Wonshik. And I’m Happy now.”