•Part 3•

Mad Hatter

"I'm still bumped up that I can't give you the tour." I look away from the piece of cake and smile at Yuta, who's eyebrows are furrowed and he's glaring at Johnny, who smiles sheepishly at him.

 
"Don't worry, I got two partners here who'll love to do it." I point at Jaemin and Jeno, "Right guys?" They smile widely at Yuta and me. Yuta sighs and adjusts his hat, a strand of orange hair falling from his ear. He tugs it back as he talks.
 
"Well then. I swear that if Johnny's house isn't burned by the stove by now I will be the one to burn it." He glances at Johnny and frowns again, "How is he not even worried?!" 
 
He stumps away to where Johnny is sitting and I shake my head as Johnny smiles smugly at him. 
 
"Let's go now Taeil. I'm sure Taeyong will be happy to meet you!" My neck bones crack again as I turn from the sight of Yuta beating Johnny up with a newspaper to look at Jeno with wide eyes.
 
"Taeyong?!" My voice cracks at the last letter and Jeno purses his lips, a frown forming in his forehead.
 
"Yes, Taeyong. The White King. Why, you can't already know him." I blink and space out in the middle of his talking.
 
It can't be the same Taeyong. Surely, because how many Taeyongs are there in the whole world. Although the only Taeyong I've known in my entire life is my neighbor, but it can't be him. It can't be the same shy, white haired Taeyong, that just moved in the apartment in front to mine. 
 
No, this is Wonderland. This is all a dream and I have only seen Taeyong two times, let alone I still haven't met him. 
 
"Taeil." Snap. "Taeil." Snap. "TAEIL!" I take step back and bend down, rubbing my knee as I wince. 
 
"Sorry, but you didn't answer." I look up and my eyes fall on Jaemin standing in front of me, wearing a sheepish smile as he apologizes.
 
I shake my head and stand up slowly but bite my lip when the pain in my knee intensifies. 
 
"It's okay, let's go." 
 
 
 
Jeno and Jaemin keep bickering behind me about a legend, they kept repeating my name and even though they think they're whispering I'm sure everyone around the forest is hearing them. I can't help but notice how cold it's getting, the sun is still out but gray clouds are forming in the sky, the leaves of the trees keep getting brown or white.
 
"I think they miss understood Ice King for White King." I whisper to myself as I move a big leaf out of the way, tree branches cracking under our foots as we continue to walk. If I had a clock I would've known how many minutes we've been walking. I suddenly remember the gold clock that was in Jaehyun's possession and curse at myself. I could've asked him if I could borrow it, although I'm sure he wouldn't have with the way he gripped it every time someone walked closer to him. I take more steps forward, ignoring how my name was being whispered again. Below me, the tree branches were turning into white stones. I glance back to see the kids still talking, clearly uninterested at the change of scenery. 
 
This is Wonderland, I shouldn't be surprised.
 
Unsure of what to do, I move the big, brown leave that was in the way. It reminded me of the similar leave that was in the entrance of the Mad Hatter's tea place. Maybe it's the forest version of a door. I chuckle quietly at my thoughts. 
 
My laugh quickly dies down though as I stare at the big castle meters away, it wasn't snowing, but there was a frozen pond surrounding the castle.
 
"We're here!" Jaemin claps excitedly beside me. My head tilts itself to the right as I take in my surroundings. 
 
"Why do the Taeil's always get the best coats?" I feel someone tugging at my pants and I look at my left to catch Jeno pouting at my clothes. With furrowed eyebrows I follow his train of sight and see, instead of the jean jacket I had on, a light blue coat. 
 
"God dammit." Jeno whines again. I turn around to see Jaemin running toward the castle. They are wearing the same clothes as before, I frown to myself and quickly take off the coat, leaving me in a purple sweater. Jeno follows my movements with furrowed eyebrows and after I completely take off the coat he looks at me in the eye, "What are you doi-"
 
I smile widely at him, taking in the sight of the kid wearing the big coat around his shoulders. Jeno wears a soft blush from the cold. I grab his wrist and start to walk again, smiling at myself when I hear a soft thank you. 
 
 
I laugh when Jaemin strides inside the place, the guards behind the doors making no motion to stop him. 
 
"Is he some kind of popular kid around here?" I whisper to Jeno. He chuckles and shakes his head while answering me, "Even the maidens know that he exists." 
 
I raise my eyebrows as a group of people wave their hands at Jaemin, who responds with a charming smile and a wink. Jeno makes a gagging sound, "For the love of God."
 
"You sure love to use the word God in your sentences." Jeno shrugs, "I heard one of the Taeil's saying a lot of expressions with that word and it just stuck with me." 
 
I furrow my eyebrows and look down, "One of the Taeil's?" 
 
He shakes his head and ignores my stare, looking forward with a small smile, "You'll know soon." 
 
"Gotcha." We follow Jaemin around, up the stairs and down a hallway. I look around, everything is white, not a single accessory is different. It almost looks like a prison, just one that actually looks good, with crystal chandeliers hanging of every room. Finally, Jaemin stops walking and turns around, smiling he points at a door behind him.
 
"Here it is." I look at both boys worriedly as strange smiles rise upon their faces. Jaemin faces the door and brings his hand up, knocking twice. 
 
And then the door opens slowly, showing a man dressed in white and blue. The man smiles warmly at Jeno and Jaemin, apparently not noticing me staring at him with wide eyes and jaw dropped.
 
"T-Taeyong?" The man looks up at the sound of his name being called. His smile turns soft and he stares at me with fondness, "Taeil."