3/3

A favor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun gets a concerned look from the boys when he shows up late to breakfast, but no one gives him the third degree as he slides into the open chair left for him. Next to Sungmin, of course.

Sungmin, who has a semicircle bruise at the corner of his jaw and looks like he hasn’t slept in a year.

On Kyuhyun’s other side, Kris frowns. “Are you okay? You look….”

Unintentionally, Kyuhyun meets his eyes.

He sees it the instant understanding dawns; Kris’s gaze flicks back and forth between Sungmin and Kyuhyun and his face goes white. His mouth drops open.

“I’m fine,” Kyuhyun says quickly, wanting to keep the others from guessing. “I didn’t sleep very well.”

Kris makes a choking noise and Kyuhyun immediately regrets his choice of words.

“Well, drink some coffee,” Taemin says, apparently too absorbed in his itinerary to cotton on. Thank God for that. “We’re supposed to do pictures in half an hour.”

Kyuhyun knuckles sleep out of his eyes and tells himself to it up.

When the photographer’s assistant is done fixing the dark circles under his eyes, he almost looks good. And Taemin’s in-laws aren’t present with them this morning; there’s no one to pretend for. Kyuhyun relaxes, tries not to let his gaze follow Sungmin across the room. It’s hard, though, with the photographers there, making sure to document his time with the boys and Sunny, especially Taemin. Straightening his tie for him, pinning on his boutonnière. Laughing when Sunny tries to pull the flask out of Kris’s jacket pocket.

“You should get in there,” the photographer’s assistant tells Kyuhyun, nudging his side.

He jumps, realizing she caught him staring. “I really—”

The photographer smiles. “I agree, absolutely. We should get some shots of the whole group before we have to go take pictures of the other groom.”

Kyuhyun squirms. “I don’t want—”

“Nope,” Sunny says, grabbing his arm. “Come over here, if we have to suffer, so do you.”

“Seriously, this is worse than media day,” Kris agrees. “Anyway, your tie is all wrong, what kind of singer are you?”

“The kind who’s doesn’t care,” Kyuhyun grumbles as Taemin reaches up to fix it. He’s vaguely conscious of the photographer snapping away.

“And where’s his boutonnière?” Sunny says. “Maybe I can stab him as many times as the tailor did—”

“How do you even make your hair do this?” Kris puts in, poking at it. “Seriously. You have nice hair, I’m pretty sure. Somewhere under whatever this is.”

“Hey.” Without other recourse, Kyuhyun looks at Sungmin. It’s the first time they’ve made eye contact since last night, and he falters for a second, not prepared for the fondness he sees there. It’s just the boys, he tells himself, stomach turning over, and forces himself to calm. “Are you just going to stand there or are you going to help?”

“I think you’ve got about as much help as you can handle,” Sungmin teases, and Kyuhyun huffs just as Sunny pokes him with the boutonniere pin.

It’s going to be obvious, Kyuhyun thinks hopelessly as camera shutter snaps. Anyone who looks at these pictures will know Kyuhyun has been lying to himself for ten years.

Maybe that’s what he needs to finally get over it.

The photographers leave, and Kyuhyun and Sungmin and the others change out of their suits to eat lunch, because God knows none of the boys has ever been able to keep from spilling on himself when it counted. Taemin had jelly donut on his shirt at his draft day.

They’re most of the way dressed again when Taemin’s phone chirps. Sunny and Kris are in the bathroom, squabbling over hair gel; Sungmin’s on the phone in the bedroom, trying to track down the champagne he ordered from room service. That leaves Kyuhyun on damage control when Taemin says, “.”

Oh boy. “Everything all right?” he asks as neutrally as possible.

Taemin glances furtively toward the bedroom. He must convince himself Sungmin’s not listening, because he says, “Can you check on Minho?”

Kyuhyun stares at him. “He’s your fiancé.”

“Yeah, and I’m not supposed to see him before the ceremony!”

“That’s the stupidest thing I ever heard.”

“I agree, but his mom is really intense about wedding superstitions, okay? She’s not going to let me in.” Taemin lowers his voice. “And I think it’s related to you-know-what, and you’re the only one who knows, so could you?”

Kyuhyun sighs but admits defeat. “One of these days you’re going to grow a spine,” he mutters.

Jessica answers the door looking like a million dollars, or what Kyuhyun imagines a million dollars would look like if you spent it on a mother-of-the-groom ensemble, makeup, hair, and jewelry. She also, he notes, looks harried. “Thank God you’re here,” she says, as though Kyuhyun is the answer to her prayers or something. “Maybe you can talk some sense into him.”

And then she leaves them alone, shooing Suzy and Minsung and Yuri out ahead of her.

Minho looks great too. When his mother leaves, he sinks into a chair and lets out a shaky breath.

This, Kyuhyun can deal with. He has firsthand experience with Crazy Mom Syndrome, since he has one. His sister’s wedding was nearly a disaster thanks to Mother-of-the-Bride-zilla. “You need a drink?” he offers sympathetically.

Minho nodded his head. "Taemin told you?"

"Taemin has a ty poker face." Kyuhyun takes the chair across from him handing him a drink. "What's up? Momzilla got you down? You look handsome, by the way. "

Smiling, he shakes his head, taking the drink that Kyuhyun offered him. "I can see why Taemin sent you. But it's not my mom, exactly.”

“I am nervous, we are hiding Taemin’s pregnant and I don’t know how my family will react to this?” Minho start to tear. “I already had a hard time when I told them I am gay.”

“At least now you can give them the grandchildren I am sure they want.”

Minho smiled “I guess so, I never thought about it like that before.”

Kyuhyun smiled back and hand him his ring” You can use it as a lucky charm.”

Minho took the ring “Send Yuri back in when you go,” he says, wiping his cheek before giving him a watery smile. Then he surprises him by wrapping him in a tight hug. “Taemin and I—are re both lucky to have you.”

Kyuhyun swallows hard and hugs him back.

*

“I now pronounce you husband and husband,” the officiant says, beaming, and Kyuhyun blinks back tears for what feels like the hundredth time today. He doesn’t quite succeed and has to lift his right hand to scratch at the corner of his eye.

His right hand, because Sungmin has a firm grip on his left and they’re both holding on tight, staring straight ahead.

“Don’t you dare cry,” Sungmin whispers, hoarse. “If you do, I will.”

“Shut up, there’s something in my eye,” Kyuhyun lies back, ignoring the fact that it’s way too late for both of them.

Sungmin’s shoulder shakes against his own in a silent laugh, and Kyuhyun manages a smile he means as the officiant presents the newlyweds.

Sungmin squeezes his hand one last time and let go. Kyuhyun flexes his fingers before drawing his hand into his lap, folding his right hand over it. Now that the charade is almost over, he doesn’t want it to end. But it will. In just a few short hours, he’ll be on a plane to China to spend a few days packing before he has to be in Seoul.

In the meantime, he tries to make the best of it. He lets the photographer and her assistant bully him around, signs the guestbook, and makes small talk with a few guys he knows from the entertainment world. He and Sungmin are talking with Heechul when Minho comes up behind them and kisses Kyuhyun’s cheek.

“Thank you for letting me borrow it,” he says sweetly, pressing his ring back into his hand. “You’re a life-saver.”

Then he disappears again.

Sungmin looks askance at Kyuhyun.

“Emergency lucky charm,” Kyuhyun says with a shrug, self-consciously sliding his ring back on.

After a few seconds, Heechul cont

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter