03.

That kind of love

A rub my back after work kind of love.

Waving her convoy goodbye Byul threw her duffle bag over her shoulder and walked towards the house they had just bought in the suburbs. After three months deployed she was more than ready to get home and just lay in bed for a week.
 
Pulling her keys out she opened the door only to be greeted by extremely loud music instead of her wife or dog as she expected. She had forgotten to tell Yongsun the exact time she was arriving at first but once they had gotten the definite info she decided that she would just surprise her. Letting her bag down careful not to make any noise,cshe walked all the way to the living room where she just leaned against the wall with a bright smile on her face.
 
Yongsun was wearing one of Byul’s old police training t-shirts and a pair of short shorts as she danced around the room with the dog, singing along to whatever song was blasting through their audio system. She took her phone out slowly and tried to take a sneaky picture of her lovely wife but she forgot that she had the flash on, giving away her position. Yongsun squealed and turned around ready to kill whoever was there, but her face changed into embarrassment the second she saw Byul.
 
“How long have you been there?” Yongsun mumbled hopping off the sofa and tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.
 
“Not long enough apparently.” Byul chuckled walking to Yongsun but instead of her welcome home kiss what she got was a hard smack on her shoulder. “Ow ow ow! What did I do now!”
 
“Shoes! How many times do I have to tell you to take those disgusting boots off when you get home!”
 
With a frown Byul snorted and walked back to the entrance to drop her boots, feeling Yongsun's glare on the back of her neck during the whole process. The second she walked back into the living room Yongsun jumped into her arms, clinging to her like a koala.
 
“I missed you.”
 
“I missed you more,” Byul said finally capturing her wife's lips. “What in the world were you doing?”
 
“I promise I was cleaning the house for when you got home. But then I put on music to make it less tedious and got a bit distracted…I thought you wouldn't be here until late at night?” Yongsun said hopping down and dragging them to the sofa, sitting down and pulling on Byul's hand until she laid down with her head on Yongsun’s lap.
 
“That was the idea, but JB’s wife went into labour so we managed to get the pilot to leave a bit early. Besides, being the boss does have its perks” Byul mumbled as her eyes closed when Yongsun started scratching her scalp.
 
“Did they tell you when you have to go back?”
 
“Technically we are on standby, so it could be any time. But I talked to the Sergeant of the Delta team and they are going to try and keep it up without us for as long as possible.”
 
Byul winced in pain when Yongsun's free hand dropped on her collarbone. Even with her eyes closed, she could feel the flight attendants glare as she the buttons on her shirt to reveal bandages. Reluctantly she opened one eye and was met with a raised eyebrow and two big brown eyes.
 
“You know I can’t tell you anything specific without it being treason. Just know that your wife is a super badass and managed to finish a high profile job with no casualties, on our side at least.” She said bringing Yongsun’s hand up to her lips, kissing it softly.
 
Shaking her head Yongsun stood up, offering a hand to the captain. When she finally took it the older woman led them upstairs to their bedroom. Turning around once they reached the master bedroom she started undoing Byul’s shirt, smacking her wife’s sneaky hand that was trying to find purchase on her .
 
Yongsun pulled the shirt and inner t-shirt over Byul’s head careful not to touch the bandage. Biting her lip she tried to hold back an appreciative whine as she took in the image of Byul in just her combat pants and sports bra. The way the, now belt-less, pants hung awkwardly to the bony hips of the captain made her look much younger, somewhat innocent, no matter what her brown eyes had seen and her hands had done in combat. Signaling for her to lay down on the bed the soldier nodded doing as she was told. While Byul got comfortable Yongsun went to the en-suite bathroom, walking back out with a bottle of body cream.
 
Jumping on the bed with her, Yongsun straddled Byuls's legs sitting on her wife’s . She poured some cream on her hands and started massaging the captain’s back and shoulders getting a low moan as a response when she worked on a particularly bad knot.
 
“It’s been too way long since you’ve given me massage…” Byul’s words were muffled by the pillow she had moved to lift herself up a bit.
 
“Mhm…” Yongsun nodded, letting her fingers trace the lines of Byul’s back muscles and down the girl’s spine. Her attention, and consequently her hands moved to Byul's left shoulder caressing the scar that was permanently etched into Byul’s skin, leaning down to kiss it. “When did you get this one again?”
 
“Huh?” Lost in the feeling of Yongsun's lips on her she didn't register the question until a few seconds later. “I think it was… Yeoncheon ’17? I really don’t care just keep doing what you are doing…”
 
“I knew you only married me for my massage skills.”
 
They fell into a comfortable silence, enjoying the little moments they got to act like any other couple. Yongsun started to hum a song that was stuck in her head, making Byul turn her head with a smile. Blushing at the way Byul’s eyes bore into her Yongsun stopped, focusing on the massage.
 
“No no please…sing for me. I’ve missed your voice. It's been months of ty radio conversations with bad service. Besides, you haven't sung live to me since our anniversary…please?”
 
“Ah…you are lucky you are cute and I’m feeling generous,” Yongsun smiled leaning down to kiss Byul on the lips before sitting back up. “Love is kind when the world is cold, love stays strong when the fight gets old…Love’s a shoulder to lean on. Love is you…”

A “through better or worse” kind of love.

Yongsun groaned as she tried to stretch her back, sore after the 8-hour flight from New Delhi. She loved her job and travelling, but those heels hated her and it was a more than mutual relationship. Pushing the door open with her shoulder she smiled when Jing Jing came running down the hall to greet her.
 
She knelt down to ruffle the hair in his head and drop a kiss between his floppy ears. She stood up to drop her keys and purse on the chest of drawers near the entrance and found a note from Wheein waiting there for her. Kicking her shoes off she walked into the house reading it.
 
I left you some food in the fridge. I couldn’t wait for you because there was an emergency at the gallery. Jing jing was good, as always. We need to hang out soon and not because you want me to babysit your dog. PS: Text me if you hear anything from Byul-unnie, Hwasa is getting worried
 
Chuckling she shook her head flopping down on the sofa, her eyes wandering to the different pictures around the room while she played with Jing Jing's fur. Most of them they had taken themselves while during their travels or at their home.
 
But Yongsun’s favourite was the one resting atop their fireplace. In it, Byul was laughing at something someone out of frame was saying while Yongsun looked at her then-girlfriend with nothing but love in her eyes. They had taken that on their first party as a couple after their hiatus and the feelings had not lessened since then.
 
Then there were the other pictures that Wheein took for them. The younger girl had decided to branch out her artistry into photography and needed models. Too cheap to pay anyone she had forced her best friends to pose for a whole day, with different get-ups and poses, to experiment with light and filters.
 
She particularly loved one Wheein had taken 'behind the scenes' while they rested in between photos. The black and white snapshot captured them in an embrace, Byul’s arms around her waist and her chin on Yongsun’s shoulder while they played with each other’s fingers.
 
She snapped out of her memories when Jing Jing started barking. Confused, since their dog was usually extremely quiet, she got up and walked to the door.
 
“Who is it, Jing Jing? Maybe Wheein forgot something here…”
 
When she finally reached the door she saw a military car in her driveway, two officials coming out of it on their formal uniforms.
 
Time stopped.
 
A thousand thoughts went through her head in less than a second. Yongsun's legs lost all strength as she fell on the ground crying. The stern faces of both soldiers as they approached the house had her breath knocked out of her lungs.
 
She could feel hot tears stream down her cheeks as her mind drifted to Byul, not even closing them seemed to stop the tears from flowing. Every sound the background faded away as she clutched her chest, Jing Jing’s barks muffled by her own sobs. She couldn’t even hear the voices of the people in front of her or the hurried steps that brought someone closer.
 
Two strong hands gripped her shoulders shaking her lightly before the person pulled her in for a hug. With her face now stuffed into the person's neck, an overwhelming apple shampoo smell surrounded her. Yongsun shook her head thinking that she was imagining things, but those arms felt too real around her.
 
Yongun’s eyes snapped open when she was brought to the person’s lap, still on the ground, and she rocking her back and forth with hushed words.
 
“Yeba it’s me. I’m ok…I’m ok…”
 
“Byul-ah…?” Yongsun’s voice cracked as her sobbing calmed down but still kept her from talking normally. “I thought…W-when I saw…when them…”
 
“I know sweetheart I told them to wait but protocol states they came out before I did…I’m so sorry…” Byul mumbled against her head as she kissed Yongsun’s brown locks again and again.
 
“What is wrong with you!?!” The older woman glared at the two young soldiers.
 
With a nod, Byul dismissed both men that quickly ran back to their car driving away from the murderous tiny flight attendant. Carefully the younger girl stood up pulling Yongsun with her, her arm around her wife’s waist to help her walk back into their living room.
 
“I’m so sorry Yong. I didn’t think it that’s what you would think…Today was supposed to be a happy day…” Byul said as the brunette climbed into her lap hugging her tightly around the neck the second she had sat on the sofa.
 
“You haven’t contacted me in months. 4 months Byulyi! God don’t even scare me like that again!" She said punching Byul’s shoulder hard, careful not to hit the medals.
 
“It was a dangerous mission Yongsun, couldn’t risk them tracing our position."
 
Finally taking notice of her wife's get up Yongsun pulled back looking over Byul's formal uniform.
 
"Why in the world are you dressed like this?"
 
"I had to go to HQ for this…” The blonde girl said reaching inside her jacket handing Yongsun an envelope.
 
“Oh god, where are they sending you now…” Yongsun said snatching the letter and tearing it open. “After careful thought and deliberation…Byul, what is this?”
 
“Keep reading,” Byul said wrapping her arms around Yongsun’s waist, her fingers caressing the skin just above the gem of her jeans.
 
“After careful thought and deliberation I, Captain Moon Byul Yi, have decided to resign as head of operations of the Alpha Team, Special Operation’s of the Republic of South Korea Armed Forces effective February 20, 2026…”
 
Byul smiled at Yongsun’s face as the older girl took in the news. One hand flew to the back of her head, scratching her neck nervously as she waited for the full reaction.
 
“I wanted to have it be for your birthday but it had to be the 20th because it’s a Monday…Yongsun? Yeba? Darling are you there?” She chuckled when Yongsun wouldn’t respond.
 
Shaking her head she took the letter from her wife’s hands throwing it on the coffee table. Her hands moved to cup Yongsun’s face, her thumb running over the line of her jaw, and forced her to look at her. Yongsun finally looked at her in the eye throwing her arms around Byul's neck, kissing her deeply and rearranging herself to straddle the taller girl. Pulling away when the air was needed the eldest of the two couldn’t stop her hands from wanting, needing, to touch Byul.
 
“But you love your job. What are you going to do now…?”
 
“I do, but I’ve been in the game longer than most. I was the youngest captain of that team in history, it's only fair that I get to leave early. Plus I get to choose my new destination. I’ll be able to stay here in Seoul and wait for you to come back home for once. You love flying and you can still get a few more years on a plane but it's about time I stop worrying you.”
 
“Why now?”
 
“Well for one I know you were talking to your boss about changing to an office job so you could be home more, and I also know that you’d hate me if I let you do that.” Kissing Yongsun’s lips softly and slow, enjoying the way they became one whenever they touched the other. “Besides, I’ve been thinking about what we talked about this Christmas.”
 
Yongsun pulled away, her eyes bright and a smile gracing her face, the dimples making an appearance. She looked for any doubt or even a trace of sarcasm in Byul's eyes but all she found was love and reassurance.
 
"Are you sure? If…if we start this there’s no going back Byul.”
 
Byul nodded caressing her wife's cheek with her thumb.
 
“Let’s have a family.”

A wipe my tears away kind of love.

Getting back to the car to grab her camera Yongsun cursed afraid she would miss it. Running back to the entrance of the building she smiled when she finally saw her family. Byul was kneeling on the pavement talking to Joong-ki, a finger stretched in front of his nose obviously telling him to take care of his baby sister. While the boy listened to their mother with a serious, focused face nodding every now and then, Hyuna kept looking around, excited with everything she saw.
 
Yongsun chuckled when she saw a mini-Wheein in her daughter. She had to stop leaving her kids with the crazy artist or they would end up being more like their aunts than their own mothers. She snapped a still as the kids hugged their mum goodbye and walked towards the doors when the teacher called for them.
 
Yongsun walked slowly to Byul and together they watched as Joong-ki took his sister’s hand and pointed at different things around the school, surely trying to take the nerves away from her.
 
Smiling when she felt Byul’s protective arm around her waist, Yongsun rested her head on her wife’s shoulder, her hand moving to cover Byul’s. Her thumb found it’s way to the gold band on the younger girls hand as a habit. A lot of people had made comments about Byul’s tan from those long hours under the sun while deployed. But the permanent mark on her fourth finger made Yongsun somewhat proud and always feel at home. It meant that Byul had never taken her ring off in all the years they had been together.
 
Her mind came back to the moment when she heard Byul clearing . Turning her face Yongsun could see how tears started rolling down the blonde’s cheeks.
 
“Baby…are you crying?”
 
“She’s...she's my little girl. She’s growing up too fast.” Byul said, not bothering to hide her pout.
 
“You didn’t cry when Joong started school.” Yongsun stepped around to face her wife, using her thumbs to clean the salty tears off her cheeks.
 
“He is just like me. I know he'll be fine." Pride filled Byul’s mouth as she spoke about their son “Besides, we have a deal, and he tells me everything that happens in that school. Good and bad. But your daughter there, she’s too good yeba, too pure. I’m scared they’ll hurt her.”
 
Smiling at the love in Byul’s words, Yongsun moved her hand up to play with the greying bangs. She had seen Byul cry before, but she could count the occasions with the fingers in one hand. Umji’s death, seeing Yongsun on her dress at their wedding was at the top of that list or the first time she held both of their babies. Leaning closer she sealed a kiss on Byul’s lips before tugging on her hand to go back to the car.
 
“C’mon I’ll drop you off at the office before I go back to the base,” Byul said fixing her blue uniform and opening the passenger door for Yongsun with a wink.
 
Sticking her tongue out at Byul, Yongsun hopped on the passenger's side. She held Byul’s hand the second they were on their way the same way she had been doing for years, getting lost in her own mind again. She ran her fingers over the veins and tendons of her wife’s bony hand before she brought it up to , dropping a kiss on the light scar Byul got a week ago trying to build a tree house for the kids with Jackson (without instructions or security measures because ‘We are special operations, Yongsun. We don’t need protection to build a tree house, Yongsun.’). Too wrapped in her memories she failed to notice that the owner of the hand had been talking to her all along.
 
“YEBA! What am I going to do with you seriously…” Byul chuckled looking at Yongsun out of the corner of her eye, fully turning when they reached a red light.
 
“Sorry sorry, what did you say?” Yongsun said with a bright grin making her dimples appear.
 
“Eh…damn it. You are too beautiful, you made forget what I was talking about…”
 
“You are getting rusty, you already used that one last week you cheese ball,” Yongsun said amused at Byul’s snort.
 
“You love it when I’m cheesy. It’s what made you fall in love with me.”
 
“It might actually be the only thing I didn’t like about you.” The older girl said truthfully, checking her makeup in the mirror.
 
With a groan as her only answer, they fell into comfortable silence as they enjoyed the rare quiet time without the kids, soft music playing in the background.
 
Parking in front of the airline headquarters they both got off; Byul had made it a tradition to walk Yongsun to the entrance of her work every day, even if they were in a rush.
 
Looking into each other’s eyes they bid their goodbyes with a smile and a peck on the cheek. Yongsun was walking away when she felt a hand tug on her wrist and she couldn’t help but giggle at the familiar routine. Kissing Byul back softly she pulled away and fixed her wife's uniform, patting her grey tie in place.
 
“I love you.”
 
“I love you more!” Byul yelled as Yongsun walked away with a grin on her face.
 
“It’s not a competition Byul-ah!!” Yongsun glared at her before it turned into a smirk. “But if it were I’d win and you know it."