Her (Someone Like You)

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N - crazy long chapter. did not realise as i was writing and now than it's done, feel too tired to edit. bear with me, please. 

 

Like a perfect gentleman, he did everything right. He opened and shut every door, escorted me to the basement lift lobby, taking care to be the one walking on the outer side of the road, and waited with me for the lift to arrive.

Once again, I found my eyes drawn to the lift display panel for some indication of the wait time as another awkward silence hovered around. Thankfully, the wait for the lift was short lived for it only needed to descend four levels to get to where I was and when it did, I swiftly paid my due pleasantries and made my way into the lift.  

I could feel his eyes on my back as I strode into the lift and my self-consciousness heightened. I stood up straighter, more poised and pressed the number 20 button on the control panel at the side of the lift without turning to look, familiar with its position. I could not master the courage to turn my body around until the lift door shut and that was the extend of my bravery. I could not suppress the weakness in me anymore – My knees finally buckled once the lift door shut fully and my good hand held firmly, in time, onto the grab bars on the side of the lift interior and kept me from falling onto the ground. Turning slightly, I leaned my body onto the lift wall for temporary support.

I mean, what in the world just happened tonight? How did so much take place in such a short time? My muddle head did not know where to scour for answers to those questions in this whole whirlwind of occurrences. Then there is the question of how almost planned-like-timely-to-the-point-of-fictionally-cliché and miraculous at the same time that from somewhere this Dr. Jung… No… I mean this YongHwa person’s presence took centre stage and dominated my night starting with performing this entire self-invitation to share my table at a café, to the whole jumping in to save the bleeding distressed damsel and then tying a perfect pink bow to complete the unflawed finish with sending that same helpless Me home.

Frankly, I do not know anymore where to begin getting more jitters from. The butterflies that were fluttering after our meeting at Starbucks, have reawakened and were tumbling and rolling erratically like they had a dose of caffeine too many, leaving me light-headed and I closed my eyes.

Being in the boxed space brought me back to a while earlier when I was in a similar confined space with him, a.k.a., the office lift. I could not fathom why I accepted his offer to help. Ok… maybe I did have a lot of inkling. I suppose I was too consumed with all that transpired that evening and knowing that the two people I lean on so much were not around to rescue me, I allowed desperation and the fluster from the hand contact with a handsome man drive me to accept whatever offer he laid out on the table. It was my moment of “But sometimes, I just want somebody to hold, Someone to give me their jacket when its cold.” It was a moment of vulnerability. On second thoughts, No - I cannot concede to that reasoning! Not one that contributes the additional of a big fat +1 to the general consensus that affirms the dated social perception that girls are feeble beings without men.

I have worked too hard to defy that for the last 5years and damn proud of myself, I must say. Hence, it was even more imperative that I provided myself a more valid excuse to better stomach this.

I thought hard and… Yes, for something scientifically acceptable at least and convinced myself into buying this pieced together certainty – Blood loss prevented me from thinking straight.

Given the lack of sufficient haemoglobin to properly oxygenate my already strained and definitely stressed brain, I must have suffered mind fog which then logically explained how against my usual better senses, I let myself be in the company of a handsome stranger all alone in the office and even allowed him to send me home in my car. Yes, temporary loss of common sense from blood loss. That must be it.

My mind drifted to recall peripherally how his scorching eyes were intensely studying me and I feel the forming goose bumps rippled from my arms to my neck.

Loud clacking sounds from a pair of red high heels walking into the lift snapped me out of my recollection and I made a quick exit, not wanting to miss my floor. The sight before me when I looked up is not the familiar marble walls with the numerals 20 that denotes the floor I live on. In its place, the bright foyer where ahead, a full glass façade wall of the building looks out onto the main road, greeted me.  

I was so buried in my thoughts till I missed out on my floor and instead I am now on the ground level! Before I got round to reproaching myself, I caught sight of him at the further left side of the walkway outside, standing with his hands in his pants pocket, head tilted skywards and my legs took me closer to the full glass panel as I gawked at the fine specimen before me from head to toe.

My eyes took in his tall well-built frame that did justice to the well-cut clothes he was wearing and I made a mental note - “He is real. He mended the cut. He sent me home and… I like it.”

Feeling the adrenaline push another potent dose into my blood stream, I close my eyes to seek a glimmer of clarity in the head rush… or at least find the reminder to not confuse civic kindness with interest level and not to be an easy prey to random niceties, especially those from a good looking stranger. But the nerves would not calm. My common sense had eluded me - I like that he is here, standing at the walkway few metres away from me. This I know now - I am screwed.

5 years of feeling nothing for the many who expressed interest and suddenly something changed inside in the last few hours. “What? Can some loss of blood from a cut on the finger, tip me so off balance?” I questioned myself, feeling more confusion seep in, dialling in some concerns along with it.

I suppose my chance to emotional normalcy is to recalibrate my sisterly love with my Unnies. “Yes, this all is the result of me missing them more than I know.” I fed myself another sound reasoning to stop over analysing... A reason to turn my body around and make my way home… A reason to continue to hide my true emotion.

The full length mirror in the bathroom reflected a fairly frightful sight with the blood stain shirt and thought I better take my shower before the anaesthetic wears off. I worked the fingers of my good hand to the shirt and pants relatively easily. But the fight to get the hook out of the eye of the closure at the back of the bra was retarded with one functioning hand and only then had I realise how it was one hell of a honed skill - pinching the bra closure open with one hand.

I remember it to appear easy when I was in high school, watching how some boys used to get a real kick out of this whole juvenile one second move - the manipulation of the index finger and thumb’s swift hold and pull together act of pinching the bra closure seemed effortless but the reaction, extensive. The unsuspecting victims more often than not would shriek and scramble to the restroom with arms crossed, hugging their chest.

For some odd reason my mind drifted to wonder if YongHwa was one of those who had his fair share of practice in high school or if he had mastered that skill, older. I could use that skill now really. “Why did I not take up his offer to send me home. Hell, he could have put that skill to good use now.” Gosh! What was I thinking!? How could I allow such a shameless thought surface in my head. This is going too far. I need to get a hold of myself.    

Frustrated with my uncooperative digits and free spirited mind, I stormed out of the bathroom to reach for a pair of scissors instead and cut off the straps of the brassiere together with further far-flung thoughts before stepping in for a cleansing shower. Hoping that the water clean out more than the physical filth.

Sleep did not come to me that night. The annoyingly chirpy voice of the morning DJ on air came through the speakers of my Bose radio alarm, signalling the time to wake while I was tossing and turning, still trying to find that comfortable place to catch a wink, if not a few more.

The nagging pain from the new wound together with this inextinguishable image of the good looking, well-built man from last night revisiting to disturb my peaceful night, was impossible to ignore. But I do have more pressing priorities this morning - the preliminary selection presentation with Citigroup. A deal that could potentially amount up to over $2million for the change of all office task chairs to ergonomic ones, in accordance to the new Work Place Safety Regulation. Fairly easy money really with no fussy installation needed and one that can let this component known as year-end performance bonus become a discussion. In other words, I cannot afford to go in fuzzy minded and indubitably a time to summon my inner mind power to rule.

The supremacy of 'Mind over matter' kicked in after an invigorating cold morning shower and any remaining trace of tiredness was erased with the combination of some strategic light make up to conceal the shadows of the many late nights on my face, together with a power suit and one of those lined camisoles, given my acquired lack of fine motor skills to hook on a bra with the injury.

After fuelling my body with a rejuvenating morning fruit shake, I took a second look at myself in the mirror and ran down the mental check list - Alert mind? Checked. Bright-eyed bushy-tail appearance? Checked. Killer heals plus a side slit on the front of my tight skirt for that touch of appeal? Checked. Yes, I am ready to take on the world head on.    

My day went on without a hitch once I fell into the working grove and everything else outside it falls into a blur. My kind of normal - Busy, productive and very on the move, surfing on the Independence and empowerment to the point where the nagging pain from the thumb was blocked off until some “Ouchy” moments happen when I accidentally use the wounded thumb to try and hold onto something.

Once again, it was shy of a few hours before my colleagues sign out for the day, when I arrived back in the office. I went about filling my team of design and sales administration colleagues with updated floor plans and information from my earlier meetings and brainstormed on solutions to surpass, if not meet, our client needs. Thereafter, clearing my emails proved to be challenging with the many interruptions from concerned colleagues who came by my workstation to show their concern after learning about my little accident from Yuri. A happy problem, I termed it, for they left me their over flowing care and love to accompany me through another long evening.

After witnessing the rough patch shortly after first joining this company, where quite a few colleagues were let go, the rest of us that remained built close ties given the many hours spent together.

We worked harder, formed greater work dynamics and even learned to appreciate the busy schedule. 

Not denying that money is one of the key purpose for our working hard but it would be also fair to say that our individual needs motivated us towards meeting the singular agenda of keeping this Company afloat and everybody together. Like for Tiffany, after years of living

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter