~ Part 1 ~

Torn Love

I hope you enjoy the chapter - Just a warning, don't read the comments below until afterwards, they might spoil the story! :)

 

[Jaebum's POV]

"Oppa!~" I heard call behind me. I turned around and quickly flung open my arms to catch Soo-Jin. She laughed and hugged me tightly.

"Oh! Did you have a good day at work?" I asked her happily as I her hair and hugged her. She nodded as she pulled away and we smiled at each other before sitting down at the kitchen counter where I had laid out dinner for us both. Soo-Jin and I had been dating for four years, we lived in an apartment together in Seoul. Soo-Jin worked within broadcasting and I worked as a bartender during nights. Well, that was what Soo-Jin thought.

 

I stood by the front door of our apartment as I pulled on my leather jacket on top of my white shirt. I crouched down to lace my shoes up as Soo-Jin came running through with a towel wrapped around your head. "Ah!~" She sighed with relief. "I thought I was going to miss you because I was in the shower." She told me as she grinned happily. I smirked as I stood up.

"I'll see you in the morning." I told her. She nodded to me as I pecked her cheek and made my way out of the apartment door. She waved to me from the doorframe as I wandered down the corridor of our apartment building.

 

I worked as a bartender at a high class bar in a hotel during nights. I started at 6pm and finished at 11pm. But I only got back to our apartment at midnight which meant Soo-Jin was already asleep so I saw her in the morning instead. But that is what Soo-Jin thought. I was a bartender, but I didn't work at nights and it wasn't a high class bar. It was in a small bar during the day. I didn't like lying to her, but I had to. Because we wouldn't be together otherwise. Because of...

 

Jo-Ie.

 

I turned the corner of a street to find Jo-Ie sat on a bench. A smile grew on my face and I quickly ran to hide behind a large potted plant on the pavement. "Psst! Il Jo-Ie!" I whispered loudly as I quickly hid as she looked around. I sniggered quietly and took another peak. She had stood up and was tilting her head to look at me.

"Yah~ Im Jaebum!" She called out as she folded her arms. I laughed and ran up to her. She glared at me and pouted. I poked her cheeks and grinned to her happily. Her frown turned into a smile as she hit the side of my arm jokingly.

 

"Ah! Ah! Ah!" I cried out as I held my arm. We both smirked to each other as I held out my hand. She looked down and smiled as she held out her hand. I took her hand in mine and locked my fingers in between hers as we began walking down the street together.

"What should we do today?" I asked Jo-Ie. She shrugged as she hugged my side. Jo-Ie was the reason why I had to lie to Soo-Jin. When Soo-Jin thought I was 'working', I was actually meeting Jo-Ie. It's not that I didn't love Soo-Jin, I definitely loved her. But I also loved Jo-Ie. My love was torn? I would describe it that way.

 

I came out of the coffee shop holding two drinks; an Americano for me and a hot chocolate with extra cream for Jo-Ie. She always liked the extra cream, so she wouldn't burn her lips on the hot chocolate. I looked around as I found Jo-Ie sat on a bench. I met up with her and passed her the hot chocolate as I sat down beside her. "Is it ok?" I asked her. She took a sip and held up her thumb to me. I smiled and took a sip of mine.

"Why is that ahjusshi looking at us?" Jo-Ie asked me. I glanced up to find an ahjusshi staring at us. I frowned at him and looked across at Jo-Ie.

"I don't know~ you don't have any cream on your face... maybe he's jealous. Because my girl is beautiful!~" I said happily.

 

Jo-Ie blushed and laughed quietly. I smiled and looked back at the ahjusshi. He shook his head then continued walking. I raised my eyebrow as I watched him walk away then turned my attention back to Jo-Ie. "Just ignore him." I told her as I smiled and her cheek. She shouted me an OK sign as she continued drinking her hot chocolate. We spoke for a while as we finished our drinks. I checked the time on my watch and sighed. It was soon 10:30pm. Time I was getting back to Soo-Jin. We wandered down the street swinging our hands together inbetween us. "I have to go back." I told Jo-Ie. She pouted and I smiled to her to reassure her. "I love you" I told her as I dropped our hands and turned to face her. But she was already gone.

 

I sighed and strolled back to the apartment. It wasn't that I didn't want to go back to Soo-Jin, I did. I just loved Jo-Ie as well, there were some things we couldn't do at night so I had to make the most of our meetings. But on the other hand I also wanted to go back to Soo-Jin because I loved her too. I know there will be a time that I will have to choose one of them, but for now I don't want to, because for now I can love them both. Equally.

 


 

[Soo-Jin’s POV]

I opened my eyes and squinted at the bright sunlight which shone through the curtains. I grumbled quietly and rolled over on to my other side to find Jaebum fast asleep. I smiled and rested on my side as I watched him sleeping. He looked so peaceful, so calm. In such a deep sleep because he was so hard working and worked till late. I pecked his cheek quickly before adventuring out of our bed quietly. I shuffled my feet into my slippers before creeping out of our bedroom without making a sound. I was busy cooking when I heard footsteps. Ah, he must be awake. I suddenly felt warm arms wrap around my waist and Jaebum snuggled his face into my neck. “Good morning~” He said softly as he kissed my neck a couple of times. I laughed quietly and moved my neck away as it tickled, and he smiled happily to me.

 

I soon finished cooking breakfast and laid it out across the kitchen counter for us. We sat down beside each other and began eating. “Are you working tonight? Can’t you stay at home tonight? We can watch movies, and get some chicken and pizza?!” I suggested excitedly but was soon stopped by Jaebum shaking his head. I pouted and sighed quietly.

“I’m sorry Soo-Jin. I’m working again.” He told me. I just nodded to him and carried on eating.

“That’s fine. I’ll just eat pizza and chicken on my own.” I murmured. Jaebum put his chopsticks down and turned to me.

“Soo-Jin, I’m sorry. The bar has been really busy recently. But I’m not working tomorrow night, so we can do it then, mhm?” He asked me. He began acting cute and poking the side of my arm. I finally gave in and nodded to him.

 

After we ate breakfast together, Jaebum was going out to see his friends and said he would be back later. I was sat at my laptop, hunting around for the bar where Jaebum worked. I know I shouldn’t be doing this, I know I shouldn’t, and I did trust Jaebum. But I wanted to see if this bar was really like Jaebum had described it to be – high class, busy, very busy so he had to work most nights. I finally found it and grabbed my coat before heading out. After two bus journeys, I reached the hotel which the bar was in, and headed up the lift towards the top of the building. I looked around and there were people dressed in posh clothes, smart clothes. It was definitely a high class place. I glanced down at my clothes. Aish, I didn’t look like I belonged here. Maybe I’ll just ask them. I quickly slipped in when people weren’t looking and found myself at the bar.

 

“Miss, are you staying at the hotel? This bar is for guests only.” One of the bartenders asked me.

I gulped and smiled at him with a guilty look on my face, “I was just wondering whether someone named Im Jaebum worked here, he is a bartender.” I asked him quickly before he had the chance to tell me to leave. He thought for a couple of seconds before shaking his head.

“Please can-“ He began asking me.

“Are you sure? How do you know without checking?! He’s working tonight.” I asked him again.

He rolled his eyes, “Miss. I am certain. I’m the manager here. Now, please can you leave?” He told me sternly. I sighed and nodded before quickly escaping out the bar before they got security or something. So Jaebum doesn’t work here? But why would he lie to me? It must be a mistake. It must be…

 

I headed back home to be greeted by Jaebum, “Oh! You’re back. Where did you go?” Jaebum asked me as I shuffled my feet into my slippers and headed into our apartment.

“Ah I just went shopping, I was going to buy a movie to watch tonight, but I couldn’t decide. Are you sure you’re working? Maybe we could go to the movie theatre?” I asked him again. Let’s see if he lies this time.

“Soo-Jin, I said earlier. I’m sorry. We can go tomorrow night.” He told me as he kissed the side of my head. I nodded to him quietly. He was lying. He was lying to me.

“Ah. Sorry I forgot. It’s fine. Since I’m not doing anything, I’ll walk you to work!” I said excitedly as I clapped my hands. Jaebum frowned at me and stayed silent.

“It’s fine. It’ll be dark and late. Just stay in and watch television.” He told me as I sighed again.

“Are you sure? I don’t mind!” I tried again, but he shook his head.

 


 

[Jaebum's POV]

I finally escaped out of our apartment building and took a second to let out a deep sigh before I went to meet Jo-Ie. That was so close. I thought Soo-Jin wasn’t going to let me go alone, I thought she was going to ‘walk me to work’. But luckily she backed down, now I can go and meet Jo-Ie as I usually do, in secret. After stopping for a couple of minutes, I began walking down the street towards the usual meeting place where I meet Jo-Ie on the nights I have ‘work’. “Jaebum! Jaebum!” I heard someone call in the background. I stopped abruptly and froze. It sounds like…

Soo-Jin.

I turned around to find Soo-Jin running towards me with a smile spread across her face. “You left your umbrella! It said it was going to rain later tonight so I thought I would bring you it!” She told me happily as she passed me an umbrella. I smiled and thanked her before kissing her cheek.

“Thank you.” I told her as I smiled. I expected her to turn around and go back home but no. She took my hand and pulled me along.

“Since I’m here! I’ll walk you to work!” She said excitedly as she pulled me along and I couldn’t refuse.

 

As we wandered down the street. I was figuring out how I was going to get out of this mess. Soo-Jin thought I was going to work, but I was going to meet Jo-Ie. She can't know I'm seeing Jo-Ie. How will I explain this to her? I didn't want to choose! I can't choose yet! I sighed as I glanced up, and spotted her. Jo-Ie. She was gliding like a ballerina in the centre of the road, balancing along the white lines. "What are you doing?" I screamed. Soo-Jin jumped and dropped her hand away from mine. She stumbled away slightly as I worked my way into the road. The air was filled with the loud beeps of car horns and the high pitched squeal of brakes.

"I'm playing!" Jo-Ie sang as she danced around.

“In the road?!” I whined loudly as I began panicking.

"Jaebum! You are going to get killed!" Soo-Jin screamed to me as I approached Jo-Ie.

 

Soo-Jin stood in shock at the side of the road as she watched me dodge in and out of the cars who were cursing and shouting at me. "What are you doing? Who are you talking to? There is nobody there!" Soo-Jin shouted to me. But I didn't listen, I didn't even turn around. I just carried on shouting.

"There is someone here! She is my girlfriend! It’s Jo-Ie! She’s going to get killed!” I screamed back. I took the hands of Jo-Ie as she stopped dancing to look straight back at me.

"Jaebum-ah. Don't listen to her." Jo-Ie said softly. I nodded repeatedly as I placed my hand on her cheek.

 

Soo-Jin was still stuck on the pavement at the side of the road and called out to me, "Jaebum! Listen to me! I am your girlfriend; your old girlfriend, Jo-Ie! She died four years ago! She isn't here anymore, you’re going to get yourself killed!" She screamed to me. I swung around and glared at her.

"She isn't dead she is here!" I screamed. Jo-Ie took my hands and looked at me straight in my eyes.

"Don’t listen to her! Will you come with me now? We can go together and be together forever? Jaebum-ah?" She asked me.

I nodded to her as we held each other's hands tightly and stepped out into the road.

 

[Four Years Ago - 3rd Person]

"Jaebum! I'm leaving!" Jo-Ie shouted through to Jaebum but she got no response. She sighed and she stood beside her suitcase. Jo-Ie was a ballerina and she had a dance convention to go to. She had repeatedly told Jaebum she was going, but he had recently been undergoing training for becoming a bartender so he had been busy lately, and probably forgotten. Jo-Ie sighed again and glanced at her watch. She had to leave but she wanted to remind Jaebum of where she was going. She hunted around for paper but she couldn’t find any. “Aish! Why is there no paper?!” She whined repeatedly. Instead, she grabbed some tissues and wrote on them where she was going in bright red marker pen so Jaebum would see. She left them on the kitchen side and quickly rushed out before she was late as she had a long car journey.

 

Jaebum came out of the shower whilst drying his hair. “Jo-Ie?!” He shouted out repeatedly but Jo-Ie was nowhere to be seen. He frowned and grabbed a glass from the kitchen side and the jug of water. As he was pouring the water into the glass, he glanced up to find Jo-Ie’s favourite and lucky cup which he had brought her missing. She always kept it in the same place, she always used it, and it wasn’t with Jaebum’s matching cup. He froze before he realised he was spilling the water and quickly grabbed a bunch of tissues off the kitchen counter to mop up the watery mess. After cleaning up the water, he quickly rushed into their bedroom to find her suitcase gone and a lot of her clothes. Jaebum wandered around in a daze. Thoughts of Jo-Ie leaving him completely filled his head. He became a mess. He tried calling her, but there was no answer.

 

Meanwhile, Jo-Ie sped down the highway. She had her music loud as she was singing along to GOT7 songs. Her car roof was down and the wind was rushing through her hair. Her phone was sat in her middle compartment. ‘1 missed call’ – ‘5 missed calls’ – ’10 missed calls’. All from Jaebum, but her phone was accidently left on silent and she wouldn’t even be able to hear it anyway. After a while, Jo-Ie exited the highway and was soon on a mountain road as her dance convention was in the countryside. As she drove around the mountain, she didn’t expect there would be rocks sat in the middle of the road. She tried to serve and miss them, but her attempt failed as her car plunged off the side of the mountain.