4; Her

The Definition of You and Me

---

 

                The minute the words came out of , she regretted them. Naeun really needed to work on her impulse and hasty reaction. Now, she was sitting in the principal office, opposite to Mr. Han and Myungsoo next to her. She glanced to her side and Myungsoo was leaning back (comfortably if she might add) against the chair and his face looked bored. As if any of this was normal.

                Well, not to her. Sure, she’d been in the principal’s office before but those were for words of congratulatory for organizing the Plant-A-Tree campaign or leading the Mathletic Club as Mathalon champion last year. Today was the first time she sat on the chair, bracing herself for the music (even though she did nothing wrong). She found it more intimidating that she had seen Mr. Han everyday (he lived across the street after all) yet there was always a new feature she discovered. Like today, as she stared hard enough, she noticed he had a faded scar under his chin.

                Someone cleared their throat and Naeun stood straighter, peeking at Myungsoo who was still leaning. Mr. Han rested his elbows on the table, inclining forward slightly, “I was informed by an angry looking Mr. Jun about someone destroying school’s property and an act of vandalism.”

                “Now, I’m never a big fan of vandalism myself. Just a few days ago, I woke up in the morning and found out that my house was covered in toilet papers, “ he recited grimly (Naeun tensed up and saw Myungsoo trying to suppress his smirk), “So, tell me, Miss Son, why are you sitting in front of me right now? Him,” He pointed to Myungsoo, “I can understand but you, it’s a bit of shock, really.”

                “I-I” Naeun struggled to find words before she took a deep breath, “It was me. I did it.”

                “I don’t believe you.” The reply came instantly. “Tell me the truth. Did he say something to you? Did he threaten you, Miss Son?”

                “No!” Naeun exclaimed, shaking her head vigorously, “He didn’t do anything. I mean, he was there too and I joined him.”

                “Because he forced you.”

                “Because I wanted to.”

                The principal let out a soft ‘hmm’ and took off the glasses perched on his nose, laying it carefully on the table. He clasped his fingers and sighed, “And what do you have to say for yourself, Mr. Kim?”

                “I don’t think anything I say will make any different.” He shrugged and Naeun found herself not surprised. He didn’t bother to explain the truth or wasn’t afraid of what Mr. Han would do to them. He didn’t seem to care about anything at all.

                “I see.” The principal had said, his eyes moving from Naeun to Myungsoo. He seemed to be contemplating as Naeun noticed his forehead creased before he announced, “Seeing that this is your first offense, Miss Son, I decided to give a light punishment.”

                “Delightful.” She heard Myungsoo muttered under his breath but Mr. Han was oblivious as he continued (or he seemed to ignore his remark), “You two will be cleaning the damage you had done today after school. And be part of the cleanup committee for this Saturday’s formal dance.”

                Naeun heaved a sigh of relief hearing what her punishment would be. She had no problem doing both especially the latter because as part of the Student Body council, she practically planned the formal dance on Saturday and unofficially she would have to stay to clean it up.

Mr. Han asked, “Do you two agree?”

“Yes, sir.” Naeun answered almost immediately, like the teacher’s pet she was while Myungsoo shrugged. The principal reached for his black rimmed glasses and put it back on, “Is there anything else?”

“Um, sir.” Naeun raised her hand (out of habit) and quickly put it down, “I was wondering if the … event that happened today,” She gulped, “will be informed to our parents?”

Myungsoo snorted and Naeun restrained herself from giving him a dead glare but before she could do anything, Mr. Han had answered, “Of course not, Miss Son. I have enough dealing with parents in PTA meeting let alone to have an argument on how the brightest student in school could have involved in this kind of misdemeanor.”

He said them with a smile but Naeun was sure the principal was being sarcastic to her because trust her, she knew her parents very well and how difficult they could be. She nodded tentatively and Mr. Han dismissed the two of them.

                Myungsoo was fast on his feet as they both got out of the room and Naeun had to jog to catch up to him. The hallway was empty (the bell rang ten minutes ago) and Naeun hastily stuffed the slip from the office into her bag before calling him, “Wait!”

                He halted and turned around, giving her an annoyed look, “What?”

                “I figure we could meet at the back door after school and then proceed to the janitor closet –“

                “What nonsense are you saying?”

                She stared at him, almost confused, “The punishment? The drawing on the wall?”

                He stared back down on her before turned his heels and walked off. Naeun tiptoed, exclaiming, “I’ll wait at the back door!”

 

---

 

                He didn’t come. That stupid jerk didn’t come. Naeun was waiting for half an hour after the final bell rang. The time went passed 3 p.m. but she kept her optimism intact. When she couldn’t take it, Naeun stomped her way to the janitor closet and took out a small bucket and brush. Making a mental note to confront him tomorrow for his lack of responsibility, Naeun headed to the place of crime grudgingly. She spent an hour to get the painting washed out (but not completely, there were distorted ‘S’ and purple stain left) and drove herself home after.

                As she opened the door to her house, a figure was hovering around the kitchen where she could hear clanking and clattering. She dropped her bag on the couch and stepped into the kitchen area, finding her mother in a yellow apron, holding a spatula. Naeun caught a whiff of curry spice as she said, “Mom? What are you doing?”

                “Oh!” Her mother put her hand on her chest, smiling at her daughter, “Honey, you surprised me. I’m cooking Indian dish for dinner.”

                Naeun blinked, making sure she heard her mother right. In the years of her life, Naeun grew up eating take out or side dishes her grandmother made. Being a female surgeon (and an excellent one at that) her mother wasn’t what people called a domestic mother. She rarely cook for lunch or dinner which was a shame because they had such a beautiful kitchen décor. Naeun occasionally used the kitchen when she wanted to bake or make pasta. Her family wasn’t exactly traditional.

                “What’s the occasion, mom?” She took a seat on the stool, resting her elbows on the kitchen counter, eyeing her mother suspiciously, “It’s a rare view seeing you in an apron.”

                Her mother threw a pointed look, “What do you mean? Seeing as all of my kids grew up healthy and happy, I feed you just fine.”

                “Yeah, with the help of take outs or instructions from behind the frozen food boxes.”

                She dismissed Naeun as she shoved a spoonful of curry, “How’s the taste?”

                “Wow, mom!” Naeun her lips, “This is actually good.”

                “Don’t sound so surprise. Your mother is an excellent cook.” She smiled proudly as she continued stirring the pot.

                Naeun laughed at the absurdity of that statement. She didn’t know what possessed her mother today but as long as she had a full stomach by the end of the day, she was fine. The mother and daughter shared stories of their day (Naeun made sure to exclude that little meeting with the principal), unaware of the presence of her father, leaning against the wall, his face astonished.

                “Am I dreaming?” He asked, almost made the two jumped. Turned to look at his daughter, he said, “Tell me I’m dreaming, Naeun.”

                “Oh, shush you two!” Her mother sent a glare as Naeun joined in the fun, chuckling at her father’s words. She noticed he was wearing his working get-ups, a white linen shirt tucked in his black pants, “You’re just get off of the hospital?”

                His father looked down, “Yeah, I couldn’t stay long though. There’s an aneurysm to clip later tonight.”

                “But you’re staying for dinner?” Naeun asked, her eyes were hopeful.

                “Of course, I couldn’t miss my wife’s cooking. This is a once in a year event.”

                “Great. I’m taking a bath first.” Her smile grew wider as she grabbed her bag and ran to her room. On her way up, she heard laughter and her mother’s whiny voice. It’d been awhile since she had dinner with both of them together. And it’d been awhile since she saw her parents acting like actual husband and wife.

 

---

 

                The next day, Naeun woke up groggily before cleaning herself and getting ready to school. Her house was dead quiet (just as any day) and her father probably stayed in the hospital. She creeped toward her parents’ room and turned the door knob as the door creaked open. She peeked inside and saw her mother sleeping on the king bed. Closing the door, Naeun went downstairs and fixed herself breakfast (the usual with strawberry jam and toast).

                Sighing, Naeun braced herself for another day. Reaching for her car keys, she put on her sneakers and settled herself inside the driver seat, starting the engine before driving off her resident. She lowered down the window and felt the wind breezing in, sweeping her untied hair. The radio was blasting to a Top 40 song and Naeun nodded along, her lips humming to the music. This was one of the thing she enjoyed, a quiet drive to the school. It was calming and so satisfying.

                As she reached school, Naeun peered at her watch and noted it was fifteen minutes before the bell rang. She grabbed her bag and walked inside, her eyes noticing Chorong’s car parked a few spots next to her. The hall was bustling with students hanging around their lockers, greeting and gossiping, discussing the latest episode of Game of Thrones last night.

                Which she had missed because she was so sore (from brushing the wall) and fell asleep. And Chorong was probably excited to pick up from their last discussion (as she would like to call it) and her newest post on her blog. Naeun was exactly right because the second her friend spotted her, her eyes lighted up as she beckoned her over. Yes, beckoned.

                “Oh my god!” She pulled her arm as Naeun sauntered to her locker, “I was wondering where you were. Naeun, last night’s episode was the best! Ever! That battle scene! Even Sunggyu admitted it was the best yet and – why aren’t you saying anything?”

                “Ugh!” Naeun groaned, leaning her forehead against the metal, “I fell asleep.”

                Chorong (the ever so dramatic) gasped, bringing her hand to her chest, “Naeun, how could you? Now, who else am I supposed to talk to for the rest of the day?”

                “How about everyone else?” She tilted her head, a sour look on her face, “Since I was the only one who missed it.”

                The latter patted her back, “Don’t worry. I had it on record. We can watch later.”

                Hearing the consolation, Naeun couldn’t help but to give Chorong a (tight) hug, “Yes, you’re the best!”

                “I know, I know.”

                As she pulled back, Naeun noticed Myungsoo walking along the hall, his bag strapped on his right shoulder, looking almost bored. Without thinking, Nauen approached him and halted in front of him. Myungsoo stared at her in confusion before taking a step to his right to walk past her. But Naeun followed suit, blocking him from walking away. He stepped to the left and she still wouldn’t let him go.

                “What the hell?”

                “Why didn’t you come yesterday?” Naeun crossed her arms, her lips pressed into a thin line.

                He gave her an annoyed look (like he thought she was being stupid), “Because I don’t want to.”

                “Excuse me?” She stared at her in disbelief, “You were supposed to do it with me! I saved you yesterday!”

                “Well, I never ask you to.” He pushed her aside, “Get lost.”

                She turned around, her steps fastened to block him again. Myungsoo grunted, “What now?”

                “Is that how you talk to people?”

                Myungsoo gave her an icy glare, stepping closer, “Are you trying to pick a fight?”

                “I’m just asking you to be responsible.”

                “ off.”

                Naeun gasped hearing him cursed, widening her eyes. She could feel all of her anger rising from her bile, threatening to lash out. The bell rang but the two of them stood there, staring at each other with such hatred. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Chorong walked toward them, tugging at her sleeves as she said, “Naeun, let’s go. It’s time for class.”

                “Listen to your friend, Naeun. Be a good girl and don’t miss your class.” Myungsoo mocked before shoving her aside and walked away.

                “What was that about?” She heard Chorong asking as her chest went up and down.

                Taking a deep breath, Naeun shook her head, “Nothing.”

 

---

A/N: Hi guyssss. It has been soooo long. I have just finished my 4-years of university and now on a job hunt. What are you up to? :))