3; Him

The Definition of You and Me

---

 

                Woohyun was an avid fan of parties but he wasn’t. Sure, hooking ups and drinking and getting high were the perks of parties but the noise, the grinding and clingy drunken chicks weren’t his scene. But he did go anyway because parties also mean free booze. And Myungsoo could smoke all he wanted without being so secretive.

                Tonight’s party was hosted by one of the basketball team members and most of the school’s population were there. Not that Myungsoo cared, he barely paid any attention to the surrounding as he grabbed a can of beer from the fridge. Woohyun was nowhere to be found since they reached half an hour ago.  Probably he was sitting in a corner somewhere with a girl on his lap, eating each other’s face.

                Taking in the view in front of him, Myungsoo leaned on the kitchen wall and sipped on his beer. It tasted sour against his tongue and he sipped more until he felt a presence next to him. A girl in a tight dress was standing next to him, giving him a flirty smile. He took a good look at her – too much make ups and a nice . Not really his type but he was bored and at this rate, anything would do.

                Slowly, he turned to face her and smelled her hair as his hand traced her arm. He took her wrist and pulled her into the dance floor. It was fun for awhile until the girl started rubbing her body against him and Myungsoo was disgusted by her wretched breath. He pushed her aside and stopped dancing.

                He found himself outside of the house a few minutes later, reaching for the box of cigarettes in his pocket. After two sticks, he took out his phone and texted Woohyun a goodbye and enjoy your night. He walked towards his bike and rode off the streets. Myungsoo made a stop in front of a convenient store to buy another pack of cigarettes.

                Standing outside, leaning against the wall, he smoked. The door was thrown open and out came two girls in matching pink pajamas and bunny slippers. He knew both of them immediately. Myungsoo might be disinterested but he didn’t live under the rock. Everyone in school knew Park Chorong, the enthusiastic future-to-be journalist. She wrote the school papers and was in everyone’s good book. They never talked, Myungsoo always thought she was a bit too much too handle with all her yapping.

                Next to her was Son Naeun, a teacher’s pet and considering her grades three years before, she would likely to be the school valedictorian. Another school’s sweetheart from a notable family. Lucky her, he thought. It must have been nice to get everything she wanted in a snap of fingers. He recalled their previous meetings (the principal’s house and the school’s hallway) and snorted, almost.

                They weren’t aware of his presence or maybe they did but decided to ignore him. Either way, Myungsoo kept inhaled and exhaled, a routine etched into his body. It gave him a sort of euphoria.

                “We are officially the two lamest seniors in school!” He heard Chorong whining, “There’s a party tonight and we’re here buying tampons.”

                “I’m sorry that I didn’t check my period schedule with you first, Chorong. Besides, you can’t just cancel Vampire Diaries night in exchange of being drunk and stupid.”

                He didn’t need to hear any of that.

                Myungsoo scrunched his nose in disgust and closed his eyes, trying to tune their conversations out. Why were they still here anyway?

                “Naeun, you’re the only person who thinks parties are stupid.”

                “Because they are!”

                “Well, have you been to one?”

                “I don’t need to attend one to know that it is stupid.” She answered, a tone of defensive in her voice.

                To his relief, the stick was finished and he wouldn’t have to listen to any of this nonsense anymore. He flicked it, watching the lit stick fell on the pavement. Their voices were faint as he walked away and towards his bike. He brought his leg over and held himself steady. Through the corner of his eyes, he saw Naeun stepping on the cigarette, picked it up and threw it in a trash can outside.

                He stayed there, watching her as she walked a few steps behind Chorong and into her car. As the car drove off, Myungsoo started his bike and did the same.

 

---

 

                Myungsoo was never a person with routine. He sometimes woke up at eight or wouldn’t get out of the bed until the middle of the day. When he was in a good mood, he would eat waffles or pancakes for breakfast and when he was feeling ty, he just grabbed a box of Caps n Crunch to start the day. If anything was a constant task in his life, it was visiting the hospital.

                He would only go there on the weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) and he would brought along with him a set of different Disney DVDs every week. This time, he brought Bambi and Melody Time he rented from the Rent-Me-Movies shop in town. As he parked his bike, Myungsoo straightened his messy hair through the rear mirror before grabbing a small bag and strode into the pediatric wing.

                Usually, Woohyun would come together but today he had have his amp repair. Myungsoo took the usual turn down the hallway, through the busting doctors and nurses and reached the room at the end of the ward. He knocked three times and opened the door.

                “You’re here!” A little girl in a pink polka dots dress greeted him with a toothy smile. She had a pigtails and a stick in her hand.

                Myungsoo smiled and scooped her in for a hug, “Hi, princess. How are you?”

                As he let her go, she curtsied, “I’m fine. I had Sour Patch last night and I brushed my teeth two times this morning.”

                He narrowed his eyes, “You’re not supposed to eat junk food, Maeri.”

                “And you’re not supposed to smoke, oppa.” Maeri put her hands on her hips.

                At that, Myungsoo shrugged and tossed another pack of Sour Patch at his sister. As they both lied on the small bed, watching the black box hung from the ceiling played, Maeri asked, “Where’s Prince Charming?”

                Prince Charming was Nam Woohyun by the way.

                Myungsoo almost rolled his eyes on that before smoldering her hair, “He has to bring his sword to the swordsmith.”

                Maeri smiled her usual toothy smile, “I’m gonna marry him someday.”

                “I hope not, princess.”

 

---

 

                “Tough day?”

                Myungsoo asked as he stopped, watching Woohyun tossed the spray can to the ground and gave him a lopsided grin over his shoulder. He walked backward till he was next to Myungsoo and sighed (quite heavenly), “Look at that. Even you have to admit, I’m an art genius.”

                “You drew what seemed to be a crocodile?” Myungsoo squinted, tilting his head, “Even a kindergartener can do this.”

                “Ugh, that’s a dragon!” Woohyun smacked his stomach and Myungsoo groaned, doubling over. He tapped his best friend back, muttering, “Don’t rain on my parade, buddy.”

                Myungsoo straightened up, “So, what happened?”

                Shrugging, he stared at the wall, “My estranged father called my mother and now she’s all mopey.”

                “You’re okay?”

                “I guess.”

                Woohyun drew a sharp breath and Myungsoo commented nothing more. Knowing each other for their whole lives did that to them. He knew that Woohyun disliked talking about his father just as Myungsoo hated talking about his mother. So, he said nothing and stood next to his friend until a buzz snapped them.

                Fishing the phone out his pocket, Woohyun grinned as he read the text. He reached the spray can lying in between the grasses and flung it towards Myungsoo, “Finish this for me. Hyuna just texted to meet her at the school gym.”

                “Seriously?” Myungsoo gave him a look, flipping the can in his right hand.

                “Hey.” Woohyun raised his arms, “This is just how I deal with thing.”

                He shook his head as Woohyun saluted him before disappearing behind the doors into the school building. The wall of the school building was the perfect place for this extracurricular activity. All over the brick wall was drawn graffiti. And the latest drawing of dragon (he rolled his eyes) stood out with its bright violet colour. Myungsoo shook the can and began spraying.

                “Hey, stop!”

                Myungsoo halted, turning to face an angry looking Naeun. He quirked his eyebrows, “We need to stop making a habit out of this.”

                “What are you doing? This is destroying the school’s property!”

                Sighing, Myungsoo faced the wall again and continued, “Don’t you have a council to run or whatever?”

                “It’s Myungsoo, right?”

                “Congratulations. You know my name.” Myungsoo muttered.

                “I’m going to report you if you don’t stop.” Naeun warned, her voice was firm.

                Halting his hand midway, he turned again and stared her. He narrowed his eyes and took a step forward before Naeun held out her hand, “Wait! Stay where you are!”

                “Why? Afraid I’m gonna slam you into a locker again?”

                “There’s no locker here.” Naeun answered, her head held high but Myungsoo could still see the trace of fear in her eyes. He said coldly, “I could always slam you against the wall.”

                Gasping, Naeun stepped forward and took the can out of his hand, “You shouldn’t been doing this, Myungsoo.”

                “What are you two doing?”

                The two of them almost jumped at the shouting as the vice principal stood, looking ready to tear someone apart.  He narrowed his eyes, “Is that a spray can? And a freshly painted graffiti?”

                “Yeah.” Myungsoo admitted nonchalantly.

                “Did you do it?”

                He shrugged as he watched the teacher’s ears turned red, his hand pointing to the door, “The principal office. NOW!”

                Myungsoo rolled his eyes as he knew the drill. He’d been there multiple times, most of them with Woohyun so he was not intimidated at all. A couple of threats of being expel and off he went. He was about to walk when Naeun suddenly shouted, “Wait!”

                The vice principal gave Naeun an incredulous look as he waited for her to say something. She fidgeted before said, “Actually, I did it, sir.”

                And then Myungsoo gave her the same look.

 

---

A/N: Are you a fan of a slow burning love? Cause I am ;p enjoy!