All I Wanna Do

Meeting Jay Park
Please log in to read the full chapter

"So Hyung-joon mentioned he had never seen you drink that much before," Jay mentioned breezily as he put a lettuce wrap with samgyeopsal in his mouth. Pork belly.

He and Paula just ended up walking to a BBQ place near Jay's place. It was somewhere he frequented often because the people there allowed him privacy whenever he came by.

"Oh, right," she said, wondering if she should tell him.

The pause was long enough for Jay to say, "It's alright if you don't want to tell me."

"No," she said right after, making up her mind, "I'm having...friend troubles?

"I hang out with this group of guys on a regular basis and a couple of them confirmed this feeling I had about one of them," she said, purposely not mentioning names since he probably knew who she was talking about: they were all in the music industry.

"That he likes you," he said bluntly, making another lettuce wrap for himself.

"How did you know?" Paula gaped at him.

Jay chuckled. "Not that hard to figure out," he answered, "And I'm a guy."

She frowned. "Anyway, I just wanted to drown some of the confusion I was feeling with a bit of alcohol."

"And why did you come home with me?" Jay asked, taking another mouthful of lettuce.

Paula considered his question for another moment. "I have no idea," she answered, "I've never done anything like that before. You stayed with me all night, without trying to get into my pants. I think I felt safe with you," she finished, before her eyes widened.

"Wait a second," she said, realizing something, "You speak perfect English."

"Born and raised in Seattle," he smirked, "And you started it, last night."

"I did?" she asked, before thinking about, "...I guess I did. Subconsciously. Pretty sure I was drunk, and then just really tired.

"I'm from Vancouver by the way," she said, "Well, Burnaby. British Columbia. I'm here teaching English."

"Do you like it?" he asked as he made another lettuce wrap.

"Yeah, I do," Paula said, eyeing the barbecuing meat and eventually turning the heat off, "It's been...seven, eight months now? My co-teacher is good to me and my students are smart. They've been fun.

"It took a long time to get an offer though," she continued, "A lot of consulting interviewers were really judgemental, because I had blonde hair and was a Korean without knowing a word of Korean."

"I know that feel," he commented.

"I finally found someone who was North American working at one of the agencies and I told her everything I was concerned with," Paula went on, "She answered my questions honestly, although she couldn't really tell me how my experience would be as a Canadian-Korean...We got along really well. I still keep in touch with her actually. I got really lucky with my placement, like super lucky. She gave me special treatment."

"Which school?"

"It's the high school in Cheongdam-dong," she replied, "What was even weirder is that I met 2PM at the airp

Please log in to read the full chapter