Motivation {Nayoung x Pinky}

Goal!!

 

Nayoung was captain of her high school's soccer team and that title alone came with much responsibility. The hardest challenge was probably trying to keep ten other rowdy girls under control. Somi was the worst when she got everyone going. Sometimes, Nayoung would attempt to speak over their shrill screams despite the fact no one was paying attention to her monotone lecture. She was also notorious for being stoic and never showing an ounce of emotion. The other girl's continued to look to her for leadership to win their games even if they seemed too unfocused on most days.

 

The team always had a time table and set schedule of how they should do things. Nayoung was strict on these certain things but it always ended up paying off in the end. They had a two hour slot to practice in after school and it was all planned out the same every day. The first ten minutes went to stretching, fifteen to practicing passing with a partner, thirty to a mock game split into five vs five while Nayoung watch, thirty for another mock game with Nayoung participating, ten minutes to everyone making a goal to help Sohye improve, fifteen minute break afterwards then the last ten minutes they jogged to build endurance.

 

Nayoung's methods of practice were what she believed led the team to victory every time. She had been on the team since freshman year and the team had never had a large success rate until she took over. She was a senior now and was hoping to get a scholarship from playing to go on to being a professional. That wasn't important now though, the big game tomorrow was though and she was ready.

The team hadn't lost a game yet. She was determined that this would not change.

 

The match against the opposing team was intense, Sohye was having difficult blocking the goals. They were tied with thirty seconds to go and Nayoung was sure that she could make that last shot. They gathered for a pep talk for Nayoung to lay out the plan.

 

“I'm going for the final goal. Somi, I need you to get me the ball. Kyulkyung back her up and Yoojung don't let them get close to us.” Nayoung looked to each individual person as she spoke to them. The team seemed utterly enthusiastic and filled with adrenaline.

 

“Yeah! I got this!” Somi raised her fist in the air with a small jump to follow. Sejung seemed to be admiring her in the distance and a little smitten.

 

“Sure thing captain.” Kyulkyung's eyes seemed to sparkle whenever she made eye contact with Nayoung which always confused her. Nayoung liked how well she listened to her though, when she wasn't being as hyper as the rest of them that is.

 

“I will lead us to victory.” Yoojung did a strange flexing pose which Somi imitated and Chungha joined in.

 

“Don't get too cocky!” Doyeon rolled her eyes and gave her best friend Yoojung a shove. Yoojung then shoved back and they continued this for a good minute until Nayoung shot them both a disapproving look. They stopped then both giggled at each other.

 

“Sohye, block just like in practice!” Nayoung suggested to the shaking girl who seemed to be extremely nervous as she was almost every game they had. Nayoung had hope for her though because she seemed to improve with each practice and game they had.

 

“O-okay..” She says in almost a whisper.

 

Game on. Things were going just according to plan, Yoojung had stopped the other team from getting a goal and Kyulkyung stole the ball kicking it over to Somi. That was when Somi passed it over to Nayoung for the final shot or at least it would have been if the ball wasn't taken out from under her eyes at the last second she was about to shoot. The other team ended up making the goal instead leading to their first loss. Nayoung knew this was all her fault. Her facial expression was blank whenever the other team had their victory announced. Kyulkyung could easily tell that Nayoung was upset despite the fact that she didn't show it.

 

They shook hands with the winners and that was that. Everyone remained cheerful despite the loss and Nayoung praised them as well. Instead of their usual celebration, they all went home. Kyulkyung stuck to Nayoung's side because they lived in the same apartment complex. She also keen on making sure that Nayoung was alright. She wasn't. Nayoung wasn't much for conversation anyways, but she hadn't muttered a single word the whole walk home. Kyulkyung had tried to strike up one, but it fell on deaf ears. She made sure Nayoung got home safely before she returned to her own place.

 

She was pretty worried. Nayoung was the whole reason she joined the soccer team in the first place. Kyulkyung had only transferred from China to Korea a year ago. Her dad had gotten a good job here and it seemed only right for the whole family to make the trip over. The kids at school had the hardest time pronouncing her real name Jieqiong. That was when she coined herself the Korean name Kyulkyung to make things easier on everyone else.

 

Her mom was insistent on her joining an after school activity because it looked good on college resumes. The school held an event called club day where members of clubs had booths set up around the school grounds trying to recruit people to join. When she was making the rounds observing, that was when she saw someone beautiful practicing soccer alone: Im Nayoung. Kyulkyung admired her from a few feet away until Nayoung had caught her staring. She was a bit intimidated when the girl with no expression approached her asking if she was interested in joining the team. She was actually on a soccer team in China and wholeheartedly agreed to this.

 

Kyulkyung, however was probably the only one she knew of that was able to make Nayoung smile. This had only happened a hand full of times, but to her it still counted as something memorable. She considered herself friends with the captain despite the abysmal amount of conversation between them. The next few days she made sure to observe Nayoung extra carefully. All she did after practice at school was practice some more at the soccer field in front of their apartment complex. She seemed to be overworking herself. Kyulkyung could only watch from afar until one day she saw Nayoung kicking the ball alone in the rain. That was when she had to step in and stop the other girl from getting herself sick.

 

“Nayoung unni what are you doing!?” Kyulkyung had come down with an umbrella and attempted to hold it over Nayoung who continued on kicking goals between ragged breaths.

 

“I'm practicing.” She replied in her most monotone voice to date and kept going although her movements seemed to be slowing down at a great rate.

 

“You're going to get sick!” Kyulkyung whined which had Nayoung stop to look at her. She looked like she was going to collapse as she attempted to catch her breath but decided to kick the ball a few more times without taking a proper break.

 

“I'm fine...” She got out between a cough or two, her legs were shaking beneath her which had Kyulkyung run over to drag Nayoung away from the field. Nayoung didn't protest and went along willingly back to her apartment because despite her pride she too knew that she was falling ill. Kyulkyung made sure that Nayoung was tucked into bed and resting, she even took her temperature despite a small protest. She had a fever. Kyulkyung let Nayoung know she wasn't leaving until she was asleep just to be sure she wouldn't go out in the rain again. Nayoung eventually rolled on her side and pretended to be asleep. Kyulkyung fully believed that was she was asleep and the side of her cheek.

 

“You know that us losing wasn't your fault right? No one blames you for the loss. I still think you're the best captain ever.” This makes a smile pull on Nayoung's lips even though Kyulkyung can't see it. She mentally thanks the younger girl as she drifts off to sleep for real this time. When she wakes up she sees that Kyulkyung hadn't left her side and fell asleep tending to her. She's quick to pull her team mate into her bed and tuck her in this time. The same smile returns when she peers down at the sleeping beauty.

 

- - -

 

This game is a total flashback of the last for Nayoung. They were down to the last minute and tied. Everyone was on it today and doing their absolute best to make up for their loss the last time. Somi had the ball and made the pass successfully to Nayoung who was making her way to the opposing teams goal. She felt herself become more hesitant as she reached that was until she heard a voice nearby cheering her on.

 

“Making the winning shot captain!” It was Kyulkyung. For some reason that she couldn't quite comprehend, she was smiling as she kicked the ball directly into the goal without a chance for their goalie to block it. The game was over and they won. Nayoung stood there in awe like she didn't believe that she redeemed herself. She felt a pair of arms wrap around her and saw a bright smiling face staring up at her: Kyulkyung. Nayoung smiled right back to her surprise, wrapping her arms tightly around the other girl as the other team mates ran in for a huge group hug.

 

“Let's celebrate tonight!” Mina announced to which everyone agreed to. This was their usual tradition to have a sleep over after their wins and purge on the worst junk food in existence. One by one they all retreated back to the locker room to wash up or change. Nayoung stayed behind until only she and Kyulkyung were left behind. She gently grabbed the girl by the arm just as she was staring to leave. Kyulkyung seemed to be pleasantly surprised by this and gladly waited for what needed to be said.

 

“I heard what you said the other day. I wasn't sleeping. I just wanted to thank you. Your words brought me strength.” Nayoung's voice all serious as she pulled Kyulkyung into a hug who squealed in happiness. This made Nayoung quite bashful and she pulled away unsure of herself.

 

“You're welcome! I like you so much and it hurts to see you upset like that.” Nayoung found herself flushing red at the confession as she kicked dirt around on the floor making Kyulkyung laugh. Nayoung moved forward to gently press Kyulkyung up against the locker behind them. They made eye contact and Nayoung remained expressionless as she moved forward. Kyulkyung was trying not to smi le but ended up laughing when Nayoung pulled away with an awkward expression. She knew it wasn't easy for her to express emotions let alone make the first move. Nayoung turned away ready to walk off, until Kyulkyung pulled her back to initiate their first kiss. She felt like she was in heaven when she felt Nayoung kissing her back. The pair thought they were all alone, but in actuality a team mate still hadn't left yet. She had just finished fixing her hair in the bathroom after her shower and was stunned to see the kiss. Sejung was at a loss of words.