The Request

House of Flowers

Setting: Alternate Universe mimicking the scenery of the Edo and Meiji periods of Japan. 

 

Bae Juhyun, or Madame Bae as the townspeople liked to call her, stared at the man in front of her. What was supposed to be an enjoyable evening walked with her youngest comrade suddenly turned bitter at the mere sight of the man whose perfectly chiseled face was something she could never forget.  

“Yerim, go on back to the tea house. Tell the girls I’ll be back a little bit latter,” Juhyun said to the young girl who had accompanied her. The young girl took note of the change in Juhyun’s demeanor and took a mental picture of the gentlemen before making her way back to the tea house, the girls would be interested in this. She turned around just in time to see Juhyun enter a tea house with the stranger.

“I see you’ve gained yourself another comrade. The capital must be finally acknowledging your capability,” he said as they settled themselves in a quiet corner of the tea house. Juhyun would have preferred going to her own tea house, but the thought of him being near the other girls worried her and therefore settled on the first tea house they came across.  

She didn’t know if he was complimenting her or mocking her. He was always a little sarcastic in the way he spoke, and in all the years she had spent with him she was never able to discern when he was being serious or joking, that had always been ‘his’ job.

It was true though, after years working at the capital, it would seem as if they were finally acknowledging her abilities. After always being under the command of others, her hard work finally paid off when she was finally given a group of her own. Her time alone at the capital had been a turning point in her career and it was no doubt partly thanks to him, but her time there was also marred with disappointments and he had seen her at her worst.

“So tell me about them, your little comrades. Were they like you?”

Juhyun gritted her teeth, her comrades were her business and how they were picked was definitely none of his. “Get to the point Himchan,” she said rather rudely, but her patience was running thin. Seungwan was in charge of cooking tonight, and no doubt it was going to be something good.

“Very well then, if you insist on skipping the small talk.” Juhyun rolled her eyes.

“I’m sure you are very well informed of the recent attacks that have been occurring throughout the country side, not to mention the weird weather changes.”

“Don’t tell me you actually believe that those deaths were the result of wild animals Juhyun,” he asked rather shocked when her face remained stoic at his news, he had expected her to show a little bit of concern considering the scale of these attacks. These attacks were no ordinary demon attacks and as a Seeker, she would’ve known that these attacks were not the works of confused demons who attacked due to the after effects of the Barrier. No these attacks were malicious and planned.

“Of course I don’t, but for now I have to believe that the Capital has a valid reason for covering the truth.” What good would it do if the public was made aware of the truth anyway. It would only bring chaos.

Himchan scoffed, “yes, still the loyal dog of the Capital I see.”  

She scowled at him, how dare he call her a dog? If this was how he was going to speak to her, she rather not give him another ounce of her time. Grabbing her belongings, she made a notion to leave.

“Oh alright, I’m sorry. Don’t leave yet, I think you’ll be very interested in what I have to say next.” She eyed him, he hardly seemed apologetic, “and what makes you think I’ll be interested?” 

“Bang Yongguk,” he articulated, making sure she caught on to every syllable of the former’s name. Her eyes widened in shock, “what about him?” She tried her best to sound uncaring. She wouldn’t let Himchan have the enjoyment of seeing her weak. 

“I ran into him the other day, no, actually he came to me,” he stated as a matter of fact as if meeting him was no big deal.  

“I didn’t know you were still in contact with Yongguk,” her tone was quieter now, clearly taken aback by the mention of Yongguk. She had no idea they were still in contact and the feelings of betrayal years ago suddenly filled her empty heart once more. Had this been their plan all along? To leave her all alone?

“He pops in once in a while. I wouldn’t call it keeping in touch though.”

“And why are you telling me this?”

“Right, when Yongguk came to visit me he dropped off a little present along with some rather unnerving news.” He took a sip of his tea, and she waited for him to continue.

“You see Juhyun, there’s been a shift of power down there. The Demon King that has been keeping the peace for a hundred years, 

She blinked, “and why would that be of any concern for us?” The Barrier was created so that the Human World and the Demon World could exist as separate worlds. The Demon King belonged to the latter and what went on down there was no concern of theirs. The only demons of their concern were the demons who broke through the Barrier either by accident or on purpose. It was their job as Seekers to retrieve such demons and see that they were dealt with properly.

“Ah, you see I have this theory, you know those attacks, and those cracks that keep appearing on the barrier-“

“Wait, how did you know about those?” Those cracks were top secret, only a few selected from the Capital was informed of them and the only reason she was knew was because the Capital needed Seulgi for a mission.

“Oh please Juhyun, you’re belittling me. It doesn’t take a genius to connect these killings to cracks in the barrier. How else would the demons be able to enter into the Human World?” He made a good point, he was no genius.

“So this shift in power, you’re suggesting it has to do with these killings, if we’re assuming that they are in actuality caused by demons, and these cracks we’re seeing in the Barrier?”

“Yes and no.”

“Well which is it?” She groan, she was wasting her time with him.  

“I don’t know, I need more time to investigate, but I can’t because of the present Yongguk dropped off, which is why I’m here. I need your help Juhyun. Think of me as a new client.” Himchan had never once in his life asked for help. He would rather die than admit he needed help, but they were running short on time.

“And why should I help you?” No matter, she was still warry of him.

“Because, the fate of the Human World is at risk.”

If the fate of the Human World really was at risk, he shouldn’t be asking her for help. “What about the Capital? I’m sure they could help you.” The Capital could offer whatever assistance he needed. They would be of much more help than she could ever be. “I’m sure I could talk to them about reinstating you.”

“I don’t trust the Capital,” he stated flatly and she narrowed her eyes at him, “then why would you trust me? Didn’t you call me a loyal dog of the Capital?” She needed him to know where her loyalty was. The Capital may have its flaws, but what ruling government didn’t?

“Because it’s you, Juhyun. I know you and I know you’d do what was right.”

“Are you saying the Capital is in the wrong?”

“No, I’m just saying you shouldn’t believe everything the Capital tells you. Besides what I’m about to ask you for help with doesn’t involve the Capital as of now, however you can’t tell the Capital either. This is top secret and if you go against it, I’ll have no choice but to end your life.” She liked to see him try, but the way he had said it was rather unnerving that she chose to hold her tongue.

“So what do you say? Won’t you help out an old friend?” She resisted the urge to laugh. Friends? Since when were they suddenly friends again? No, their friendship ended when he walked out her years ago. Still, as she looked at the man who she had grew up with, had experience a third of her life with, she felt an odd sense of obligation.

“Fine,” she muttered weakly. She had a feeling she was going to regret her decision.

“Great!” Himchan beamed, he knew she’d come through.

“Now what’s your request?”

An eerie smiled appeared on his face, “my request is for babysitters.”  

 

“Whhhaaattttt?”

Her screamed could be heard miles away, but who wouldn’t scream when she was told she needed to babysit a fully grown demon. Himchan had led her to an alley where she saw the demon sitting aimlessly on a wooden box, who to ordinary eyes would look very much like an ordinary boy, but to the trained eyes of a Seeker much like herself, the two horns sprouting out of either side of his head were very much visible. Of course she had immediately reached for her sword, but Himchan had stopped her before she could even fully grab it from her side.

Himchan then went on to explain that the present Yongguk had dropped off, was none other than this demon who was staring lazily at them, clearly unfazed that she had almost pulled her sword at him.   

“Oh and he’s also the Demon King who vanished,” Himchan added causing Juhyun to scream a very loud “Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..”

“Oh Juhyun, you’re being overdramatic again,” Himchan said as he covered his ears.

“Jeez, you’re so loud Grandma,” The Demon King remarked clearly annoyed. 

Juhyun blinked her eyes at the tall demon standing beside Himchan, the color red rushing to her cheeks. Did he really just call her grandma?

“Yah, Zelo don’t call her that. She’s a little sensitive about her age,” Himchan scolded Zelo, he knew first hand of Juhyun’s little temper, but he couldn’t hide his smirk from Juhyun.

“What are you smirking about? You’re older than me!” She shouted at Himchan like a little kid, “and you Demon King, should not go around calling people grandma.”

“Let me get this straight, you want me to babysit the Demon King?”

“More or less, Yongguk thinks he’ll be safe in your hands, not to mention your girls are pretty skillful so there really shouldn’t be a problem if any Demons or Capital goonies were to show up.”  She was already starting to regret her decision to help him. Harboring a demon was breaking protocol. No demon was allowed to stay in the Human World without going through the Capital. Himchan was right though, her group of girls were pretty impressive and she felt herself feeling proud hearing that Yongguk they were up for the task.  

“I’m assuming the Capital has no idea he’s here?”

“Nope, and it’s going to stay that way. Imagine of the Capital caught word of the Demon King up here, boy would they had a whirlwind of a party.”

 “I told you I didn’t need a babysitter Grandpa, I can fight any of those bastards if I have too,” Zelo interrupted crossing his arms across his chest, which earned a hard smack on top of his head from Himchan.

“Ow, what was that for?” Zelo rubbed his head, his eyes burning with anger.

“No you can’t, not in your current form anyways and that was for calling me Grandpa,” Himchan shouted back, his eyes equally burning with anger.

“Well, you are old,” Zelo shouted, as he jumped off the wooden box and landing in front of Himchan, his fist ready for a brawl.

“Not as old as you. You’re like freaking ancient,” Himchan shouted back as their heads butted against each other. 

“I’m only 521 years old.”

“Yeah and that’s freaking old.”

Juhyun watched the bicker that took place before her. She found it hard to believe this overgrown boy was actually the Demon King. It was even harder to believe when Himchan seemed so at ease bickering with him. The Demon King was said to be the most powerful, yet as she observed the demon who was currently trying to wrestle himself out of a headlock from Himchan, she was beginning to doubt the power of the Demon King.  

“Not much of a Demon King right?” Himchan asked as he smiled up to Juhyun, all the while restraining Zelo from breaking free from his grip.

“Now, are you going to behave or do I have to squeeze you harder?”

“AHHHHHH! Let me go, you old fart!”

“YAH, do you want me to tell Yongguk about how you’re acting?” Himchan threatened.

At the mention of Yongguk, Zelo immediately stopped squirming, something Juhung did not miss. So the great Yongguk had somehow gotten the Demon King to be scared of him as well? She smiled, it was just like Yongguk to have everyone respect him. She supposed it was one of charms, as she too fell victim to it.

It wasn’t long until the three of them arrived in front of the tea house she had taken over. She wasn’t exactly skilled in the art of tea making, but when they were transfer from the Capital, the tea house was the only building up for sale. Thank goodness Seungwhan had a natural talent for brewing tea, but she had come from a chaebol family and the girl had said it was part of her growing up to learn about tea brewing. Whether or not their tea house prosper was secondary to them being there however, as the Capital had placed them there to monitor the movements of demons in the surrounding area, to settle and dispute between demons and humans, and to apprehend any demons who broke through the Barrier without permission.   

“I do believe this is where I must bid my farewell,” Himchan said before she could pull the curtains open.

“Oh, going so soon?”

“I have another important meeting to attend to, but I would’ve loved to stay and chat some more. It’s been such a long time since we last saw each other.” There was a hint of sincerity in his voice and though she could not forgive him she nodded in his direction.

“Zelo, please behave while I’m gone and try not to give Juhyun any trouble.”

She could tell Zelo resented the idea of being watched by a bunch of girls, especially Seekers, but he nodded his head regardless. Perhaps the conversation between Himchan and herself had set him straight.

“I’m back,” she said as she entered through the cloth that served as an entrance during the day.

“Welcome back,” a sweet voice replied as a young girl scurried out from the back but stopped in her track when she saw Zelo standing behind Juhyun.

Her first instinct was to draw her sword.

“Juhyun, there’s a demon behind you,” she said as she reached for her sword.

“Very good Yerim, however there’s no need for you to draw your sword as he is our guest.”

“Eh?”

“Where is Seungwan?” Juhyung asked walking passed the confused girl, “I want to do the introduce everyone at once.”

“In the kitchen,” Yerim replied, her eyes never leaving the demon.

“Seulgi is still on her mission so you’ll meet her when she comes back. That leaves Sooyoung, wasn’t she in charge of greeting customers today?”

At this, Yerim turned paled, Sooyoung had promised to be back before Juhyun returned.

“Yerim, where is Sooyoung?” The young girl gulped, that rotten girl was going to get them both in trouble.

Again! 


So here's the first chapter, it's taken me forever to write this and in all honesty I'm not %100 commited to this story as I have another plot I really want to try for this Bapvelvet project I've been dying to write. Or I might just make the other plot a Joylo heavily centered story and post it as Joylo, who knows. Anyway I hope this chapter perked your interest and if it didn't, well maybe the next one might. XD