Boredom Got Her A Job

Babysitting for an Ex

Boredom Got Her A Job

"Mom. Please. Please. Just give me money. I need to go somewhere or I'll die!" Chung-Ae begged her mother. She was already on her knees. It was true, she will die with boredom. Her friends are out of the country and spending time with their families. While Chung-Ae is stuck in her house doing nothing.


Her mother, though she understood her situation, only gave her another judging look. She sighed as she rubbed her temples. This has been the 15th time Chung-Ae had asked, of course she would say "no". Yes, she was counting.


"Look Honey, if you need money so bad, then go find a job. That way you won't get bored." Her mother rolled her eyes at the mess Chung-Ae had made herself.


Like a light bulb in her head Chung-Ae jolted up and recollected herself. She pretended to dust herself off and fixed her posture.


"That's it, a job! I'm such a genius!" She laughs out loud.

Her mother only sighed when she heard what her daughter said next. “But what job?”

“Our new neighbor has a 5 year old kid. And they are needing a babysitter for him.” Her mother rummaged through the piles of paperwork she had on the table and pulled out a golden-yellow post-it note. She skimmed over the contents and handed it to Chung-Ae.

Chung-Ae smiled. She was an excellent babysitter, she loved kids. To her it would be a piece of cake, since she strongly believes that she can make any kid fall for her.

“$10 per hour?” She asked her mother. “How did you know about this mom?”

“I have met the lady several times in the market and I’ve held several conversations with her. When she mentioned she needed a babysitter, I didn’t hesitate to tell her about you.” Her mother replied. 

“Were you expecting me to beg you for money at the start?” She asked, yet again. Her mother only nodded for she was too busy paying the bills.

She looked and thought for a moment. A second later she walked towards the front door and began putting on her shoes.

“Hey mom, I’m going to personally say hi to them. I’ll tell them about the babysitting along the way.” She was already out the door when she announced it. She walked down the steps of her front yard and then turned right. She crossed her driveway and glanced at the home beside hers. 

It was a lofty building. The grass was neatly clipped and the door was wooden and unique. She noticed the white BMW parked right next to the house. It looked like it was in good condition, but when she caught sight of huge dent that was visible near the front.

This instantly reminded her of a certain someone. Her ex.

He wasn’t a risky driver, he was just a driver that couldn’t help but to have fun and speed up. She loved the wind, but when she knew that he was being too fast, she never failed to remind him. 

But one day, he failed to listen and he ended up getting into an accident. He wasn’t injured as much, but she became so worried that she cried whenever she visited him. Sometimes she would scold him. He only smiled at her and . 

You scold more than my mom! That’s what he told the emotional Chung-Ae. In frustration she hit him and began scolding him again. All through her ranting he was smiling.

How could he smile? 

That’s what she hated about him, but it was also that one thing that she loved the most.

She knocked on the brown door and waited. A moment later, a woman with dark hair opened up the door. Chung-Ae saw the wrinkles forming in the corner of her eyes.

“May I help you?” She asked in a hoarse voice.

Chung-Ae started to stutter. She was bad at talking, especially to people.

“U-uh...Hi! I’m Ok Chung-Ae and I live next door! I heard you guys need a babysitter!” Her voice kept on raising into a higher volume for each sentence.

The woman smiled and she looked younger doing that.

“Oh you’re Ok Ae-Jeong’s daughter? That’s great! I’m Ms. Kang. I’m so relieved that you came! We’ve been looking for a babysitter, and so far we haven’t had any progress!” The woman laughed. Chung-Ae laughed with her, finally, she found her confidence.

The woman let her inside the house and told her to go sit in the living room. The woman asked her to wait, for she will make something to drink. Chung-Ae didn’t say no for she was a little bit thirsty. 

On the carpet were scattered toy cars and legos. Must be the kid’s.

The woman came back holding a glass of iced tea. Chung-Ae gladly accepted and bowed as a form of thanks. After chugging the glass down she turned to the lady and their discussion began.

“So what makes you a good babysitter for my nephew?” The woman asked.

Nephew? So she’s not the mom? But shouldn’t the mom be interrogating her? Chung-Ae thought, but then she shrugged it off.

“Well, I’ve had several experiences with kids my whole life. During my high school years, I volunteered in a child orphanage and I have gotten so attached with kids. Along with that, I actually used to babysit my little cousins whenever it’s summer break. So I can say that I’m pretty experienced.” She told her. The lady nodded and continued.

“I see. The thing about, Gunyoung, my nephew, is that he is very shy. He usually keeps everything to himself, and he rarely talks. I want someone to make him open up and will be able to take care of him while his mother is away.”

Chung-Ae nodded. “If you don’t mind me asking, where is his mother?”

The lady paused, and Chung-Ae feared that she had made a bad impression. So she instantly said sorry, just like she was taught to do whenever she comes off rude. 

To her relief the lady told her that it was fine. “My sister is currently in America, so she can’t be here. Because of her absence, I’m here to take care of her son. But my schedule has kind of been hectic and I always need someone to watch him. I couldn’t ask his older brother since he’s never in the area to begin with.” She chuckled. “I’m always worried about Gunyoung, whether he is playing with himself or others. He rarely goes outside though.”

“Well, have no fear, Chung-Ae is here! With me, I will turn Gunyoung into a beautiful butterfly. I’ll promise you that I will take care of him, and if there’s something you don’t like about my babysitting, you can always go next door and tell me so that I can improve.” Chung-Ae announced.

“Alright, I’ll let you babysit him for a week, just to see how good you are. Would you mind starting tomorrow? If that’s okay.” The woman told her.

“That’s totally fine!”

“I’m going to need your schedule and phone number, just in case.” Chung-Ae nodded and wrote down her number on a piece of paper she gave him.

Just then a small boy trudged down the stairs and stared wide-eyed at the guest in front of him. Ms. Kang had noticed the presence of Gunyoung and gestured for him to come over.

“Gunyoung, this is Chung-Ae noona. She’ll be babysitting you when I’m at the hospital. Can you say hello?” Ms. Kang lifted the five year old up onto her lap. He hung his head low and muttered a small hello.

“Hello to you too, Gunyoung. Please take care of noona alright?” Chung-Ae greeted and smiled. The boy slowly lifted up his head and nodded. Only to hide his face using his aunt’s shirt.

They all laughed at his cute gesture. Chung-Ae stood up and bowed to the woman.

“I’ll be going now. See you later Gunyoung!” She waved goodbye. The kid gave a weak wave,and once again hid his face.

Chung-Ae laughed. “Aww. Next time Noona will see a smile, alright?” With that she bid her farewell and walked back to her house. 

She opened the door to her home and saw that her mother fell asleep on the couch while the T.V. Was still on. She sighed and switched it off. She grabbed a blanket and covered her tired mother. Then, she kissed her forehead and headed upstairs to her room.

Before lying down on her bed, she went over to her desk and pulled out a drawer. She took out her notebook and began writing down what she did. When she was finished she returned the notebook to its right place and plopped herself on her bed.

Her phone dinged, and she earned a text from her best friend, Jeon Wonwoo.

Wonu: So bored, wanna hang out tomorrow? I just came back from the family “vacay”

Chung-Ae chuckled and rolled her eyes.

Ae: ew, no way! Jk. I’m actually going to be babysitting tomorrow so i need to get my beauty sleep

Wonu: why do you need a beauty sleep? It’s not gonna make any difference with a face like that.

Ae: yah! Gud night u idiot!

Wonu: :P

Chung-Ae grumbles and throws her phone to the side and closes her eyes. When she opened them again she was filled determination.

Tomorrow’s going to be the best day, I will make sure of that.