Exchange

E.R
Day 00
 
Contrary to popular belief, a grim reaper isn't a floating skeleton in a black robe holding a scythe. In fact, if a human were to see Joy right now, they would think of her as a random stranger. A typical young adult perhaps. However, she is a divine being, and a mere human should not be able to see her.
 
Except this particular human.
 
“Am I about to die?”
 
The brown-haired woman asks with a calm voice, as if she is asking Joy whether it will rain tonight.
 
Joy looks around but there is no one else apart from them. Maybe she's talking to herself. Humans do questionable things all the time, especially when they’re alone. She stares at Joy with a lopsided grin, fiddling with her wristwatch.
 
“It's rude not to answer when someone asks you a question.”
 
“Everyone dies,” Joy steps closer. “I would demonstrate but it’s only you here.”
 
If she feels nervous under Joy’s scrutiny, she doesn't show it. Joy stops in front of her and pulls out her journal. She flips through the pages.
 
Bae Joohyun, age: twenty four, date of death: 29th of February 2016, cause of death: cancer
 
Joy isn’t surprised. It’s always either cancer or heart attack, but there are more people dying from cancer nowadays, which is annoying. No one likes to work overtime. Joy closes her journal. The human – Joohyun – seems to be lost in her thoughts.
 
“Yes, you’re going to die today. It was nice knowing you.”
 
Joohyun jumps to her feet and clutches Joy’s sleeve.
 
“Is there a way for me not to die?”
 
“No.”
 
Joy yanks her arm but Joohyun refuses to let go. Instead, her grip tightens. For someone who’s dying, Joohyun’s quite strong (Joy finds this amusing).
 
“You can’t — you can’t take me away. Not yet.”
 
“You still have one more day, that’s enough time to write a will. You haven’t written one yet, have you?”
 
Joohyun doesn’t budge. Joy glances at her watch, ten more minutes until she has to take another life — she’ll be late at this rate.
 
“Would you like some paper and a pen?”
 
“One month. Let me live for another one month.”
 
“No.”
 
“Please, just one month.”
 
“That would mess up my schedule, I’m busy.”
 
“I'll do anything,” Joohyun tugs on Joy’s sleeve. “Please.”
 
Joy purses her lips at the desperation in Joohyun’s voice. This is troublesome. Joy taps her chin and pretend to be deep in thought.
 
“Nothing’s free in this world. What's an equivalent exchange for extending your life?”
 
She sees a glint of hope in Joohyun’s eyes and Joy almost feels guilty.
 
“How about eternal hell?”
 
There, that should do it. No one would be stupid enough to —
 
“Fine.”
 
This human..
 
Has she lost her mind? No, it can’t be. Joy has seen plenty of crazy people and Joohyun looks very sane. Maybe she’s just stupid, that seems more likely.
 
“Let go or I will take your life now.”
 
Joohyun’s hand shakes but she obeys the grim reaper. Joy walks away, and she waves at Joohyun without turning around.
 
“See you in thirty days.”
 
 
Joy barely makes it on time for her assignment (she prefers to arrive five minutes early).
 
“It isn’t my fault.” Joy sighs. “Blame that crazy woman.”
 
A pair of lifeless eyes stare at her. The house is quiet and Joy doubts anyone will find this dead body soon. She feels kind today, so she pulls the blanket over his face before leaving.
 

 
“What the hell, Joy? You can't just extend a human's life however you want!”
 
“Hm.”
 
Joy plays with a rubik's cube, struggling to complete even one face of the cube. After a few seconds, Joy groans and tosses the cube over her shoulder. The puzzle lands a few inches away from Wendy's foot.
 
“Joy, I'm being serious here. You'll be in trouble if the higher-ups know about this.”
 
“I’m bored.” Joy imagines a furious look on Wendy’s face. “Did you do anything interesting today?”
 
“You said her time of death – Joohyun, was it — is today at noon, right? There's still time. You can take her life and we'll pretend you never had this stupid scheme in the first place.”
 
“Do you think so lowly of me? Thirty days, that's what we agreed on. Besides, I already saved a seat for her in hell.”
 
Wendy bends down. She picks up Joy’s rubiks cube, takes a deep breath and hurls the cube towards the back of Joy’s head. Joy turns around.
 
“As I was saying —”
 
The puzzle meets Joy’s forehead. Joy staggers from the impact and she moans in pain.
 
“You .”
 
“I swear, if you don't take that human’s life by the end of the day, I’ll chuck a knife at you.”
 
Wendy leaves. Joy curses herself for telling Wendy about her agreement with Joohyun. She picks up her rubik's cube, debating whether or not to pay Joohyun a visit.