One

Seeping into the Soul
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A/N: This is heavily based off and inspired by NCT U's "Without You" music video. Check it out before or after reading this.

He is seated comfortably in one of the seats in the train carriage, hands gently gripping onto the arm rests. He has lost track of how many times the train has cycled through the metropolitan city, passing the bright lights of the inner city and returning to the train station. Repeat again.

 

He’s lost track of time. He is not lonely though, at least he likes to think he isn’t. He enjoys watching the bustling traffic and the towering skyscrapers of the city that the train passes by. He’s also taken a liking to the things that are shown through the train window.

 

There is a young boy and girl who sit in a waiting room. Although comfortably furnished, an oddly sick, green glow is casted throughout the place from the overhead florescent lights, giving it a tone of uneasiness.

 

The boy and girl don’t seem to mind the greenish setting though. Shyness is apparent in the boy as he steals glances at the girl. The girl catches the boy looking and stares blankly. Curious, she starts talking to him and they eventually start playing together. Their lips move, but there is no sound that can be heard from them.

 

A moment passes as he watches them through the train window and a feeling of fluttering joy fills him. He doesn’t remember being young. He doesn’t remember the feeling of making a new friend in an unfamiliar environment such as a waiting room. How does it feel like to be a child? All he remembers is this endless train, nothing more.

 

He continues watching the two children. Something about the girl changes as she motions for the boy to lean in, heightening the uneasiness already present from the green glow. She gestures for him to turn his head to the side and he complies. She cups her hand against his ear and even though he cannot hear them, he is able to read her lips clearly.

 

“Walk with me.” She says.

 

His hand resting on the arm rest twitches and the green waiting room flashes before his eyes. It is now a series of passing neon lights.

 

His first memory is of being surrounded in nothing but dark. It wasn’t a cold dark, but a warm comforting blackness. A voice whispered to him, telling him what he was. The Conductor. He then woke up in the train carriage alone, and he’s been here ever since. The Conductor has lost track of time.

--

 

Moon Taeil works at the locally popular diner, Nox Cibus Train. Fluorescent lights paired with the slow, dull night. The luminance washes out the usual bright shades of yellow and orange that make up the interior, casting them in a bluish-green glow. It opens 24 hours a day and he works the night shift.

 

Taeil doesn’t mind the late night shift. It’s rather calming, a contrast to his hectic morning schedule. There hasn’t been a customer in over two hours, so Taeil found himself sitting in one of the tables situated next to the front counter. He rearranges the bottles of condiments and packets of sugar. He grabs the napkin holder next and as soon as his fingers touch the white napkins, something fills his vision.

 

He is running up a flight of concrete stairs. Up ahead there is a large gray building and once he nears the top of the stairs, he gets a look around and notices that there is no one there but him.

 

What am I doing here?

 

Taeil blinks once and the stairs vanish. He is back at the diner, sitting at the table he was in. The napkin holder is now on the ground, but he pays no attention to it. He sits there with a blank expression, confused at the vision he just saw.

--

 

Jung Jaehyun is a model and after a long day of strenuous photo sessions, he was finally home. He could relax and prepare for the next day of work. He is still in his work clothes, having dropped onto the couch in the living room the instant he entered his apartment.

 

Sitting there, he feels a tingling, dull pain on his right hand. He looks down at it to see a thin papercut on his index finger. How did he

Please log in to read the full chapter