Facing The Bitter Truth

Lilacs for The Angel

Song Joong Ki woke up in the morning, feeling refreshed and calmer, wondering how bizarre his dream was. He remembered the fact that Chae Won betrayed her with another man until she was pregnant. Wait. Who told him the fact that she was pregnant? It definitely wasn’t Chae Won herself. So......

He got up and looked around.

Nothing strange.

He then went to his living room.

And immediately ran back into his bedroom, his heart beating fast in shock.

He stood in front of his mirror, wondering how on earth an angel was in his life.

Angel Hye Kyo was floating on his living room, casually lying in the air while reading what looked like the morning paper.

He was still pondering on what to do, but the angel already appeared beside him.

“Let’s not waste time debating whether I’m real or not this morning, shall we? You have one week off from the army. I’m planning to leave you completely healed by the end of this week. I can be an archangel faster, and you’ll be alright again. Win-win. Now, let’s discuss –“

“I have to go!” he cut her sentence.

“Where?”

“To – to the bakery! It’s – you know, it’s for breakfast”

“Don’t go, we need to talk”

“But I’m starving!”

Angel Kyo flicked her fingers, “There, breakfast is ready on the table. It’s your favourite menu. We both know you rarely eat bread. You love Korean food. Aigoo. I wish I can still eat. I used to really love bread in my previous life”

She began to walk to the kitchen, her wings flapping behind her in a rather merry way, and barefooted, Joong Ki followed her.

On the table, there laid a complete Korean breakfast. It’s warm and smelled really good.

He then realized he’s really starving.

“I’ll dig in!” he announced, before eating like he never ate anything for a month.

Angel Kyo was amused, but she watched him eat silently.

“.......you look like you want some”

“I do. But I don’t have to eat anymore”

Joong Ki nodded while polishing everything clean.

Once he was done, she said, “Now, listen to me”

He unintentionally sat straighter and listened.

“There are seven stages of soul healing. I am following the book on this. First, understanding. Two, looking into the reality. Three, looking into the past. Four, forgiving. Five, finding the meaning of life again. Six, forgiving yourself. And seven, finding a new love”

He listened without interrupting, but it didn't mean he understand what she was saying.

“I need to finish this mission in seven days. I need to heal your soul in exactly seven days”

“..........why is that?”

“The future keeps on changing with humans’ choices. My Seraph just told me that in seven days, if I fail to heal your soul, you’ll still kill them and yourself”

“..............what’s a Seraph?”

“She’s like......my supervisor”

“.........I am grateful. Really. I don’t really understand why you’re here, but I don’t need you. Maybe you better just go and help someone else”

Angel Kyo frowned, and then answered impatiently.

“Song Joong Ki-ssi. I think you haven’t got why I’m here. I can’t leave you because out of one million other Koreans, you need an angel’s guide the most. You have trauma because of your torturing imprisonment in North Korea and you have deep hatred to your fiancé and your best friend. If I’m not here for the week, you would be having nightmares that got worse day by day. It will destroy your mental health and you’ll really end up being a criminal”

“........come on. Let’s do this nicely. Let’s be together for one week, shall we? You’ll get free meals, a clean house and an instant seven days girlfriend. I’ve been told that I am very beautiful, so you won’t be ashamed walking around with me”

“If I listen to you, would you really leave me after seven days?”

“Of course. I have my own plan” Angel Kyo smiled.

“Algesseumnida”

“Excellent. Now, we’ll start doing the plan. Today, you will have to completely understand what is happening”

“I completely understand what happened, thanks”

“........not really. There’s a part in you that haven’t really accepted the fact. I have a great way to make you understand. I’ll wait here until you finish showering”

It’s strange, his body listened to her will in automatic mode. He showered and dressed and returned in front of her in thirty minutes.

“What are we going to do?”

“We’ll follow Moon Chae Won-ssi and Yoo Ah In-ssi for a day”

“..........no, thanks”

“It’s necessary as a first step”

“I’ll just hate them more if I see them again”

“But understanding is about not avoiding the root of the problem, Song Joong Ki-ssi”

“I refuse”

Her wings flapped and mild wind suddenly blew around them.

“I can force you, Song Joong Ki-ssi. And that will hurt” she threatened, her eyes flashing red for a second.

“Al – algesseumnida”

“Good. Now, hold my hand”

“Er......what for?”

“You don’t imagine we’d go with MRT, right? Going my way is definitely faster”

She held out her hand and he reached it.

Her hand felt cold.

And soft.

“Close your eyes”

When he opened his eyes again, they were already in front of Chae Won’s house.

“This will hurt you, Song Joong Ki-ssi, but I think this is the safest way to heal your soul. We will not be visible to them, but we will be able to see what they do. Hold my hand so you can be invisible too”

She was holding out her hand and he reached for it, then they became invisible. He could walk through walls when they’re holding hands, and they reached the dining room, where Chae Won and Ah In were having breakfast.

They really looked like husband and wife, Joong Ki thought. Seems like they already live together.

“I think Joong Ki would never forgive me” Ah In suddenly said, shocking Joong Ki.

Chae Won looked up to Ah In and pouted.

“Of course he wouldn’t”

“Hell, I think he’ll even try to kill me. He’s a really good sniper”

“I don’t think he’ll really kill you, although I’m sure he’ll want to” Chae Won replied, “He’ll just.....forget that we exist, that’s all. And we can’t really blame him for that, can we?”

“I’m sure he already knows. About us. One of our friends must have told him already”

“Yes. And the fact that he hasn’t confronted us must mean that he’s disgusted with us” Chae Won said, unconsciously caressing her belly.

“Jagiya, I have to go to work”

“Ahrasseo”

Chae Won walked with Ah In to the door, smiling and letting him kissed her cheek.

All day long, they followed Chae Won. To her florist shop, seeing her replying texts from Ah In every few hours, knowing she threw up from her early pregnancy, seeing her looking pale after lunch, looking at how Ah In picked her up after work, following as they shopped in a supermarket to buy ingredients for dinner, seeing how Ah In massaged Chae Won’t shoulders because she said her body ached all over, watching them cooking together, and finally sitting down for dinner.

“I think this is enough for the day” Angel Kyo said. “If I were still a human, the bones’ in my hand would already break because you squeeze it so hard all day everytime your heart hurts”

As if in a daze, Joong Ki looked down to their still entwined hand.

“Did it hurt?” Joong Ki asked.

“No” Hye Kyo smiled. “Did it hurt, Joong Ki-ssi?”

“.........It hurt a lot”

“Let’s get you out of this house, then”

He wasn’t aware of where they were going. She was leading and he was just following her.

“If you can eat anything you want now, what will you eat?”

“Samgyupsal. With lots and lots of beer”

“Okay. I’ll treat you to dinner”

“..........angels have money too?”

Angel Kyo waved her hand and suddenly she was holding a stack of money.

“How much do you want?”

“Nah. I’m just starving”

Hye Kyo asked where was the most expensive samgyupsal restaurant he knew, and they went there.

After the waitress noted down his order, she asked,

“Is your girlfriend not going to order something?”

“I’m fine, thanks. I’m on a diet” Hye Kyo said, flashing her best smile, making the waitress went blank for a few seconds, before smiling warmly at her and skipped away.

“She can see you? Can she see ghosts too?”

“Tsk, don’t be silly. Can’t you see I’m hiding my wings and playing the good girlfriend here? So people can see you eating with a gorgeous lady like me”

Joong Ki snorted and mumbled, “No one asked you to do that”

The samgyupsal was top quality but he didn’t eat well, Hye Kyo noticed. Must’ve feeling hurt from everything he saw that day.

At home, when Joong Ki was showering, she could hear him crying.

The sound somehow pained her, so she sang to herself to block the sound.

Under the pouring water, Joong Ki's tears were falling.

All the things Chae Won and Ah In did that day that he witnessed were so painful. All along, it felt unreal, but he also knew it was real.

What did I do to deserve this, he asked the walls.

What did I do???

When he finished showering and was ready for bed, he saw the angel was already sitting on his bed, her huge white wings nearly filling up the whole space, and she was reading something again. It looked like the novel his mother used to love.

He walked to the bed and sat down.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“It’s a useless question”

“Alright. What do you think about today?”

“............that they are really together. It’s a fact that can’t be changed. Even if I kill them, the fact won’t change”

“Good. That’s what I wanted you to understand”

They stared at each other.

He was seeing her but not really seeing her.

So she reached out and put a hand on his chest, where his heart was beating.

“Time heals everything” she promised.

“I don’t need to hear stupid things like that. Especially not from someone who has wings. It’s too weird”

“My Seraph just informed me something. And I finally understand why they send me, the best angels for this country, to heal you”

He was so numb that he didn’t even want to know why anymore.

“You’re going to do something in the future that will affect the whole nation. If I can’t heal you this week, you’ll destroy the country. If I can, you’ll do something great”

Joong Ki just blinked, not fathoming what the angel said about his future.

At that very second, he wasn’t a soldier. He’s a man who’s disgusted with everything. Himself, his ex, his ex best friend, and the whole world.

But suddenly, breathing became easier.

“I’m trying to alleviate your pain a little. Is it working?”

“Yes”

He was feeling burnt and moved without really thinking.

He moved forward to hug the angel in front of him, putting his cheek above hers.

She felt cool to his touch, and somehow it soothed him a bit.

Angel Kyo frowned. There’s a strange wave of feeling washing all over her.

Have I pitied him this much?

Her arms enveloped him and he hugged her tighter, putting his forehead on her shoulder.

“One of the bravest things a human could do is accepting the bitterest part of his life. I’ve always thought like that. You were very brave today. I thought you’d try to kill them again, but you didn’t. I can read your mind and heart. Thank you for accepting the fact. This is your first step to heal”

Joong Ki heard what she was saying but felt no need to say anything. He just need something to hold on. Someone to hold on to. And she was there.

She was there.

“Make me sleep, Cheonsanim. Jebalyo”

She’s surprised because he called her Cheonsanim, a respectful way to call her. That was a first.

“Ahrasseo”

She held him tighter and let her white wings enveloped them.

In a minute, he fell asleep in her arms.

************************************************

Author's Note:

I like what I feel when I write this fic. It's like I'm writing a dream. It doesn't feel really real, but has a beautiful feel on it. 

^_________^

When I write something, I fall in love with my own characters. 

I hope you catch how Joong Ki ceased having questions of why Angel Kyo was in his life, and was starting to depend on her. He's unconscious with how he's behaving towards her, but he began to need her presence. 

As of our Cheonsanim, (Cheonsa means angel), she was starting to feel "A strange emotion" whenever she felt he's in pain. 

I might try to finish this first before "In The Name of The Emperor", but we'll see. 

Regarding me personally, I'm glad I finally found out that my allergy is because of asthma. I know how to handle it now, although my left leg still look hideous with wounds and scars, but I will recover!

Thank you so much for reading my story!

If you see me too long in updating, you can poke me nicely in your comments, haha. The reason might be because real life and Song2 couple soompi Forum. 

I'm so addicted to that forum that I don't write much lately.

I'm very happy that Song Joong Ki said he wants to marry in his thirties. It's something a man with escalation superstar status wouldn't normally say, but he did. None of my friends say that unless they already have a specific person in mind. 

So naturally I am thinking of Miss Song.

My health is recovering and OTP is sailing. Life is good.