He Is - Sequel

He Is

The azure afternoon sky transformed into a space of pink and purple as Kim Mingyu stands in the centre of the floral shop. He drummed his fingers against the polished mahogany counter as his sight rests upon the bunch of variegated tulips sitting the window, basking in the last moments of filtered sunlight before evening comes.

They represent beautiful eyes, and Mingyu knows someone who fits that description.

The florist emerged from the backroom, in his arms, carrying lilacs, lisianthus and sweet peas wrapped up elegantly in champagne coloured tissues. In the middle of the generally purple bouquet stood out a cream-coloured tulip, a sweet promise meant for his recipient.

Mingyu’s breath hitched the moment he saw the bouquet of flowers.

 

The bell situated at the top of the florist’s glass door rang when Mingyu opened the door, signalling his exit.

The space of pink and purple was currently in its own transition to become a deep blue evening sky when Mingyu stepped back onto the busy streets of Seoul. With a purple bouquet safely resting between his left arm and lean body, the tall male began his walk home. The background noise of passing cars and company dinners were drowned out by the music flowing from his earphones. Mingyu had always hated walking home alone, and the absence of his usual companion on this special day didn’t make the situation any better. Mingyu’s thoughts bounced off the walls of his brains. He thought of his previous years as a husband and a father. He thought about his career as a kindergarten teacher, as he had been working alongside with Jeonghan right after attaining his degree in English Literature. He thought about his friends, their lives and how they intertwined with his. Mingyu hated walking alone because he has so many thoughts dancing on the tip of his tongue.

Out of the blue, a pop song by an idol group blared from a phone. Something about someone being seventeen and only having a few dollars. Passers-by watched as the tall male fumbled to pick up the call, quieting the scene in a few moments.

“Hey, are you coming home soon? Dinner’s ready and Chan is waiting for you” The gentle voice made Mingyu’s heart skip.

“I’m reaching home soon; do you need me to get you anything?” Mingyu heard a child-like squeal and low laughter from the other end of the phone call, causing the ends of his lips to curl up.

“Nope, just get home quickly and safely yeah? Your son misses you.” Mingyu smiled. “I’ll be home soon”

It took Mingyu ten minutes to reach the apartment where he and his family resided. It wasn’t exactly a huge residence, but comfortable and spacious enough for their son to grow up. Mingyu knocked on the painted blue door. Two knocks, a pause and one last knock. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach, creating an anxiety-induced tickling sensation. He wiped his sweaty food-colouring adorned hands onto his flour-clad jeans, in a bid to ease himself.

Mingyu felt ridiculous. It was years since their first date, and yet he still felt like a boy meeting his first love.

The blue door opened to reveal a tired-looking man. With round-framed glasses resting peacefully on the bridge of his nose, and a light blue sweater pulled over his lean yet toned body, Mingyu found him absolutely beautiful. The man looked up, and a tender smile graced his face as the two pairs of brown eyes meet.

Mingyu felt the butterflies in his stomach flutter more furiously as he held out the bouquet of purple and white arrangement.

-Flashback-

The orchestra playing the wedding march, and the grand white doors opened.

A beautiful bride dressed in a pearl coloured gown gracefully walks down the velvet carpet, with flower-girls trailing after her, scattering red and white rose petals. The attendees expressed their awe over her beauty and elegance but became quiet as the preacher boomed “speak now or forever hold your peace”.

He stood up. Piercing stares of the elites stares followed the tall male’s every move as he walked from the chairs towards the man he love.

All eyes were on him, but Mingyu’s remained fixated on Wonwoo. The older male was distraught, soulless and too thin for his own good. Mingyu’s heart fell and like glass, shattered onto the red carpet.

Wonwoo stays silent, but took a few steps forward and placed his hands into Mingyu’s larger and cold ones.

“Just get me out of here, please.” He whispered, his low voice trembling. Mingyu curled his fingers, squeezing his lover’s hands tightly.

Scandalized whispers broke out. They ran, leaving behind a chaotic wedding scene. Angry and humiliated shouts came from Wonwoo’s parents and almost-in-laws but they were too scared to stop.

Mingyu was afraid of letting go, because if he did, he would definitely lose Wonwoo forever.

-

Mingyu and Wonwoo tied the knot an hour after that, and it has been three years since they did. Things weren’t smooth during the beginning, but they had each other. They were still young and both had years of university to complete. Mingyu worked hard to give Wonwoo a better life by filling early mornings and late nights with part-time jobs and only wanted the older male to stay when times get tough. Wonwoo got a position as a lyricist at an entertainments company during his senior year. Jihoon, a producer there was impressed by his unique lyrics and offered him a position right away. After graduation, they adopted Chan. The then 2 year old made them feel complete, and filled in gaps and holes that they weren’t even aware of in the first place.

Mingyu once promised to be his husband at the altar.

And he did.