003

The Crown Princess

Author’s Note: Before you read this chapter, I just want to know if any of you noticed that I left out the fifth Consort Princess in the first chapter loll...I kinda forgot to include her and lost track of how many concubines I had already named (Su Huili, Wang Yina, Wang Jingna, Yu Silan) so i just kinda snuck her into the second chapter. After writing the second chapter tho i went back to edit the first chapter and sorta “mentioned” the fifth concubine. So that’s how I came up with the character Mei Ailin, and the plot twist was also kind of an accident??? Everything just sorta worked out like that. Anyways, expect me to make more mistakes like this in the future haha :) and I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!



“So what about you?”

Huili furrowed her brows. “I…”

Her mind drew a blank. How should she answer? Was she willing to help this Mei Ailin become Crown Princess for an uncertain promise of a good future? Or should she risk offending Consort Mei and refuse the offer?

“I…”

Then again, what was it that Suyun told her? “At least make sure that you are on good terms with her. Remember, Consort Mei is the Emperor’s favorite concubine. She has a lot of power.” 

So what should she choose? What was the right answer?

Huili closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Her voice quivered as she finally made up her mind and answered, “I...I will help Mei Ailin become Crown Princess.”

Consort Mei smiled. “Good. I knew you would make the right choice.”

Huili looked away and grimaced. Was it really the right choice?

“Now then, the first thing you must do is prove your loyalty.”

Huili turned back around and stared at Consort Mei. “What? Why? I already said that I would help you. Isn’t that enough?”

Consort Mei laughed. “You think I would just take your word for it? You have to prove it to me with your actions, not just your words.”

Huili sighed. “Okay, then what do you want me to do?”

Consort Mei and Mei Ailin shared a mischievous glance. They turned back to Huili, and Consort Mei replied slyly, “We want you to sabotage the Wang sisters.”

.

.

.

.

.

Yifan combed through the pile of books lying on top of his table. Where was that book of poetry that he was reading the other day? How could it have just disappeared?

“Looking for this, my Highness?”

Yifan whipped around, eyes wide. “Huang Zitao, give me that!”

The young servant laughed. “Okay, okay. Here.” He handed the book over back to the flustered prince.

Yifan, glad to have his book back, groaned, “Tao, sometimes you really do get on my nerves, you know.”

Tao smirked. “Oh really? I had absolutely no idea.”

Yifan shook his head. “Anyways, what brings you here?”

“What do you mean, your Highness? I’ve come here to serve you, of course.”

Yifan laughed. “Since when has it ever been your actual intention to serve me?”

“Mm, you’re right, Crown Prince. You saw right through my lie, huh?”

“It wasn’t that hard,” Yifan admitted. 

“Okay, well, the truth is the Empress actually sent me here to look after you.”

“I see.”

“She says you haven’t met any of your concubines yet—Oh what’s this? The Third Prince is here?” Tao nudged the dozing prince. “Hey, Yichen, wake up.”

“Leave him alone. He’s tired.”

“What, you’re just going to let him sleep here?”

Yifan shrugged. “Why not?”

Tao nodded. “Okay, fine. Anyways, she wanted me to make sure that you would attend her gathering. If you change your mind, I’m gonna have to drag you there. Got it?”

Yifan sighed. “Yeah, yeah. I’m going to go. Don’t worry. I know my mother will kill me if I don’t.”

Tao smiled. “Good. Well, I’ll be waking you up bright and early tomorrow morning to get ready for the gathering! Bye, Yifan—I meanmy prince. Be sure to sleep early tonight. See you tomorrow!”

As Tao left, Yifan let out a loud groan, waking up Yichen in the process. 

“What happened?” Yichen cried out.

Yifan turned to look at his brother. “Nothing, Yichen. Just go back to sleep.”

“A-alright.”

.

.

.

.

.

Something didn’t seem right about this. 

“Sabotage?” Huili asked.“What kind of sabotage are you talking about?”

Both Consort Mei and Mei Ailin let out a disturbing giggle. “You can explain it to her, Ailin.” Consort Mei patted her niece’s hand in encouragement.

“Okay, auntie.” Ailin smiled. Once she turned to Huili, her expression turned sour. Snobbily, Ailin explained, “So my auntie told me that there’s a rumor going around saying that the Empress will be inviting us to a gathering soon. At this gathering all the Consort Princesses are expected to offer a drink to the Empress. When Wang Yina and Wang Jingna offer their cup of tea to the Empress, we want you to trip them so that they spill it on the Empress. Then they get into trouble, and the Empress will hate them, and she’ll love me! It’s simple!”

Huili cried out in horror, “Wait, I can’t do that!”

“What do you mean you can’t?” Consort Mei protested. “Didn’t you say that you wanted to prove your loyalty to me?”

“But doing that would be a crime! What if I get caught tripping the Wang sisters, and I hurt or offend the Empress in the process?”

“Well then, don’t get caught," replied Consort Mei.

Huili scoffed. Easier said than done. They were absolutely crazy if they thought that she would agree to their request. She wasn’t looking for a death wish. There was no way that she would do something like that. Spilling your drink on the Empress is a great offense. If you weren’t careful, you could be given the death sentence, and your life would end just like that. Huili didn’t want to die so easily.

“What other choice do you really have, Huili? Just do what you’re told,” complained Consort Mei. “Trip them. It’s easy, okay? That’s all you have to do.”

“Yeah, just do it.” Ailin chirped in.

Huili gave a silent moan. Consort Mei was right. She really did have no other choice. She had already agreed to help Ailin become Crown Princess. Now she just had to actually do it.

“Fine,” Huili replied. “I’ll do it, and if I die because of this just know that I’ll haunt the both of you for the rest of your lives.”

With that, Huili stood up from the dining table and stomped out of Consort Mei’s palace, leaving both Consort Mei and Ailin horrified .

“Auntie, did she just say that she would haunt us?”

“D-don’t believe that nonsense, my dear.”

“But—”

“Just focus on becoming Crown Princess, okay?”

Ailin nodded. “O-okay.”