002

The Crown Princess

Wu Yichen, the Third Prince, sipped at his cup of tea. With his chin propped up by his right arm, he gave a small sigh. “I just don’t understand you, brother. Why are you so unwilling to meet your concubines? From what I’ve heard they’re all incredibly beautiful.”

Yifan looked up from his book and shook his head at his younger brother. “Yichen, you know that I don’t care about things like that, and of course you wouldn’t understand.”

Yichen turned and frowned. “Oh, really? Well then, enlighten me.”

“It’s too complicated.”

“Yeah, right.” Yichen crossed his arm. “Try me.”

“Why do you need to know? It’s my business, not yours.”

“It’s just that…” Yichen sighed once again, “You’re so lucky that Father has already granted you five concubines. I wish I was able to have even one concubine of my own. You on the other hand, clearly are not interested. You won’t even go see your concubines. It really just seems so...unfair for you to treat them like this.”

Yifan laughed. “You just think it’s unfair because I was given concubines when you weren’t. Am I right, brother?”

Yichen smiled and shrugged. “Maybe, but don't you think that you’re also being unfair to your concubines? Tell me, why do you refuse to meet them?”

Yifan paused for a moment before answering, “I just don’t want to be dragged into Consort Mei and Consort Wang’s fight for power.”

“What?” Yichen asked. “But how does the fight between Consort Mei and Consort Wang have anything to do with your concubines?”

“It has everything to do with my concubines. Don’t you see, younger brother? Consort Mei and Consort Wang are both looking for concubines to sponsor. If the concubine they sponsor becomes Crown Princess, then they gain more power.”

“I see…”

“I don’t want to pick a Crown Princess and then become involved in their frivolous fight against each other. No matter who I choose, I will delight one but upset the other, and once I’ve offended one of them, it’ll become a chaotic mess of drama, scheming, and politics.”

Yichen nodded. “No wonder you have been avoiding your concubines.”

“Mm,” Yifan mumbled in agreement as he turned back to his book. Yichen, seeing that his brother was no longer willing to explain any further, dropped any further questions and ordered a palace maid to bring him some more snacks to eat with his tea. 

.

.

.

.

.

Suyun added the last ornament to Huili’s hair and gave the final touches to Huili’s makeup. Admiring her lady’s beauty, she gushed, “My lady, you are absolutely radiant.”

Huili smiled. “Thank you, Suyun, but don’t you think that these ornaments are a bit too extravagant?”

“You’re right, my lady. I wasn’t thinking clearly. I apologize. I just that I thought it would be nice to wear something fancier to impress Consort Mei.”

“The simpler the better, Suyun. The simpler the better.”

“Of course, my lady.”

As Suyun removed the hair ornament to replace it with a simpler one, Huili carefully examined her reflection in the mirror. She knew that meeting Consort Mei would change a lot of things. Her life would become more unstable and filled with plotting, backstabbing, and sabotage. She would have to learn to become smarter and more cautious in order to survive. 

Still, perhaps it would be better to not meet Consort Mei. If she just relied on her own efforts, then maybe she wouldn’t have to deal with so much drama, and her life wouldn’t have to change. But then what were the chances that she could become Crown Princess without Consort Mei’s help? Both Wang Yina and Wang Jingna would have the support of Consort Wang. If either of them became Crown Princess while Huili remained a simple concubine, then her life will become much more difficult. She would have to face endless amounts of abuse and suffering. As a simple concubine, she would have no power to protect herself against the whims of an angry or jealous Crown Princess. She would have to cater to the Crown Princess like a servant, and that was a life that Huili was not willing to live.

She had to become Crown Princess.

“Suyun, perhaps it would be better to wear that other ornament.”

“Yes, my lady.” Suyun gave a small smile as she replaced the simpler hair ornament with the more extravagant one. “You deserve to wear something more like this, my lady. It matches your beauty.”

Huili forced a smile. “Does it really?”

.

.

.

.

.

Huili and Suyun were able to arrive at Consort Mei’s palace right on time for dinner. Once they had left their carriage, Consort Mei’s servants quickly ushered the two of them into the foyer, where a round dining table to the left was filled with a variety of savory and delectable dishes. Emerging from a hall to the right, Consort Mei swept into the room and welcomed Huili. “My, my, the rumors have been true. Consort Princess Su Huili is truly a beauty. Come, my dear. Join me at the dining table.”

Huili gave a small bow. “Greetings, Consort Mei.”

Enough with the formalities. Come here. Follow me.” Consort Mei pulled gently on Huili’s arm as she guided her toward her seat. As Huili sat down, Consort Mei took the seat next to hers. Turning back to the maids, Consort Mei waved them away, and the maids bowed to leave. Suyun bowed as well and left to follow the other maids. Once Huili and her were alone, Consort Mei poured the two of them some jasmine tea. 

“Drink, Huili.” Consort Mei offered her the cup.

“Thank you, Consort Mei.” Huili accepted it and took a small sip. Placing the cup down, she waited for Consort Mei to raise her chopsticks and then picked up her own. Glancing over the dishes in front of her, Huili could not help but feel her stomach growl a little. While Huili was busy eyeing the dish of braised pork, Consort Mei’s eyes were fixed on Huili as she studied her closely. 

“I understand that your father is a general. Is that right, Huili?”

Huili turned to face Consort Mei and gave a cautious nod.

“And your mother is the cousin of the Commander-in-Chief.”

“That is...correct.”

“Mm, so you come from a rather prestigious family then.”

“Y-yes.”

“And you are so young and beautiful and talented. If I remember correctly, you are skilled at playing the zheng. Am I right?”

“You are, Consort Mei.”

Consort Mei smiled. “And you are also very smart, so you must know why I invited you over for dinner tonight, right?”

Huili hesitated. Why was Consort Mei being so blunt all of a sudden? Suspiciously, Huili answered, “I’m not quite sure I do, Consort Mei.”

“Oh, is that so? Well then. Ailin, would you please come out and join us?”

Huili turned around to see who Consort Mei was addressing and was surprised to see a girl emerge from the same hall that Consort Mei had appeared from. Who was she?

Consort Mei smiled in amusement. “I see that you do not recognize her. Would you like to know who she is?”

Huili nodded slowly, her eyes fixed on the young girl standing in front of her.

“She is my niece, Mei Ailin, the fifth concubine of the Crown Prince.”

Huili furrowed her brows. “The fifth concubine? But I thought—”

“That she was ill and could not enter the Imperial Palace? Yes, that was only a rumor started by me. You see, I had to conceal her identity in order to protect her. If Consort Wang were to know that my niece was also becoming one of the Crown Prince’s concubine, then she would have tried to sabotage her, and I would never allow that to happen. Ailin is destined to become Crown Princess, and I will see that it happens no matter what.”

“Then why would you want to meet me?” Huili asked softly, her heart beating rapidly.

Consort Mei narrowed her eyes at Huili. She scoffed. “Child, could it be that you thought I would sponsor you to become Crown Princess? How presumptuous of you to think so. I understand why you would think that I would never choose Wang Yina or Wang Jingna. Everyone knows of my rivarly with Consort Wang. But what about Yu Silan? What about the fifth concubine that you never met?” Consort Mei shook her head disapprovingly. “You should not be so arrogant, little one.”

“So why did you ask me to come here?” Huili questioned angrily, her voice straining as she spoke.

Consort Mei laughed. “Isn’t it obvious? You and Yu Silan are the only other two who may pose a risk to my dear Ailin. I asked you to come here so that you would agree to help my Ailin become Crown Princess. In return, I will guarantee you that once she becomes Empress, you can become a high ranking Consort. I have met with Yu Silan previously, and she has already agreed to my terms. What about you?”

Huili stared at Consort Mei, eyes wide in disbelief. This was not how things were supposed to turn out. Wasn’t Consort Mei supposed to help her become Crown Princess? Isn’t that what she prepared for all this time? And now this fifth concubine comes out of nowhere and changes everything. Huili turned to glare at Mei Ailin, who flashed her with a smug smile in return.



Author's Note: Oooo plot twist!! LOLL I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I also want to thank everyone who subscribed and commented last time! Thank you for the support and the feedback. I would also love to know what you think of this chapter and what expectations you have for the rest of the story. Until next time, bye guys!