The Phone

Never The Same

While resting in Jungkook's room, Jin emptied the contents of his bag. He laid out his wallet, phone, a few other trivial objects, and Jungkook's cell phone. To pass the time, he decided to surf the internet, listen to music, and take a few pictures.

Rap Monster had a pen and paper in front of him. He was writing down some lyrics, which were inspired by their current situation. Maybe this could be a solo piece, but yet again, it would be a great song for us to sing as a group, he thought. The lyrics were very solemn and depicted how cruel fate can be and how unavoidable it is. It truly expressed their current pain.

Suga could be found napping near the window.

J-Hope, Jimin, and V were gathered closely around Jungkook's weak body, examining all of his features. His skin had a bluish tinge and was awfully pale. His cheeks were hollowed out and dark circles bordered his shut eyes. His lips were blue and were separated by the life support machines. And from reading the entries, his hyungs were just now realizing how thin he had gotten over the years. His protruding collarbone and shoulders were becoming more noticeable to them. His arms were so much thinner than they remembered. 

Jungkook was the strongest out of all of them. They could commemorate the times when Jungkook competed in arm wrestling contests, races, and so many other athletic competitions. But now, his hands were very fragile looking and look as if they could shatter into a million pieces if you touched him. Jimin slowly raised his hand over the bed railing and touched Jungkook's arm, then slowly trailed down to his hand. And from that small contact, he lightly shuddered from the coldness of Jungkook's hand. It was as cold as a corpse. But even so, Jimin proceeded to intertwine his fingers with his dongsaeng's. V took note of that.

"If I remember correctly, I think people can be heard by a person in a coma," V suddenly said.
"Really?" J-Hope looked at V, then at Jungkook's sleeping figure. "Do you think Jungkookie can hear us right now?"
"Maybe. He probably won't remember what we said, though."
"You never know...," Jimin muttered from the other side of the bed.

V shot him a small glare. Then he focused his attention on Jungkook's face and noticed a part of his hair that covered his shut right eye. He then stood up and leaned over Jungkook. He reached down and gently brushed the baby hairs to the side, so they weren't covering the maknae's face too much. V sat back down in his chair and smiled in satisfaction. J-Hope meticulously monitored the tension and interaction between V and Jimin. What's wrong with you guys?, he asked himself.

****

As Jin was unloading his bag, he laid Jungkook's phone in front of Rap Monster, who was writing lyrics down on a piece of paper. After a short while, Rap Monster quickly ran into a writer's block, but for lyrics. He sighed. It's a dead end, just like this little mystery!, he sighed. He leaned back in his chair and looked at the objects Jin laid out on the table. He saw Jungkook's iPhone glimmering under the fluorescent light of the hospital room. He reached out and examined it. Out of curiosity, he continued to flip and rotate the phone in his hand to examine its features. He was never really a technology person, so he didn't exactly know the features of an iPhone. Nearly everyone in Bangtan used Samsung devices, since it was a Korean brand.

"Don't break it," Suga said.

Rap Monster was a little shaken by Suga, because he thought he was sleeping. He turned his head around and saw Suga, half-awake.

"Seriously. Don't break it," Suga warned him again. "That's a really good phone and I'm sure Jungkookie wouldn't want to wake up to discover that you broke it."
"I'm not going to break it," Rap Monster told him. "I'm just...fascinated by it."

Nearly everyone in Bangtan used Samsung devices, since it was a Korean brand. However, Suga was a major exception. He loved Apple products; from their MacBooks to iPods to iPhones. He's secretly a little nerdy.

"Why?" Suga yawned, struggling to stay awake.
"I've never really looked at an Apple product before. All I know is that people in America and the West really like it."
"Well, it has some pretty nice features."

That caught Rap Monster's attention. He set the phone down and faced Suga.

"How so?"
"Well, that generation, the iPhone 6S, has a three-dimensional screen. Depending on how much force you apply, you can activate special features and shortcuts. It's really handy."
"Oh. That's awesome!"
"Yeah, there's also Touch ID"—Suga pulled out his own iPhone—"which is on this round button at the base of the phone. All you do is press down on it to wake up your phone and leave your finger on it and it automatically unlocks by reading your fingerprint."
"Hm...that's a bad idea."

Suga glared at Rap Monster, silently telling him to explain why he thought so.

"That way, anyone who has access to your fingerprint could get into your phone. Like, with the way you sleep, I could take your phone and put your finger up to the button and get in just like that!" Rap Monster said.
"Well, I mean, for the most part, it is pretty good. Admit it!"
"Yeah, but that's kind of stupid, in my opinion!"

Jin was growing quite annoyed. He could hear their entire conversation even with his headphones on. So, he took out an earbud to get them to quiet down.

"Could you guys please stop talking about your tech, or at least, talk a little quieter?" he asked. "I'm trying to concentrate on listening to music."
"Wait!" Rap Monster suddenly jumped. "That's it! This is fantastic!"

His loud outburst swiftly attracted the attention of the three others, gathered around Jungkook. Suga stood up from his chair in realization. He reached behind Rap Monster and grabbed Jungkook's phone.

"Guys, I know how we can get into Jungkook's phone!" Rap Monster exclaimed. "We were just talking about it."
"I can't believe I'm doing this," Suga muttered as he pressed the home button.

Jungkook's phone and Suga approached Jungkook. He walked up to Jimin's side. Jimin released Jungkook's hand and lifted it up so Suga could place the button under Jungkook's thumb. Everyone carefully watched as they waited to see if they could get into the maknae's phone.

A small click was emitted from the phone and everyone gathered around it, deeply engrossed.

"We're in," Suga murmured.