Chapter 5

The Stories Between Us

 

Jongin turned the song off. Put himself down to the floor. Breath in deep before laying down at the floor. The practice dance session already over thirty minutes ago. But, Jongin decided to continue practice by himself since the event is three days ahead.

Jongin reached his bag, looking for his phone. There’s 4 miscall notification. 3 from Jae In and one from Sehun. The guy sighs. Suddenly he felt the pang in the heart. He remembers everything. Jongin remembers it clearly. The way Baekhyun looked at Jae In. The way Baekhyun told to Jae In his feeling. The way Baekhyun leaned in to the girl for a kiss. Jongin hated it. That’s way he calls Sehun instead. He doesn’t want to talk to Jae In right now.

 

“Oh Sehun, why you call me?” Jongin asked when Sehun answer his call.

“Jongin, where the hell are you?” Asked the latter.

Jongin still laid on the floor while answering Sehun. “At college. Why?”

“Come over. I have dinner with miss piggy now. Treat on her of course. And you have to know that─”

“I can’t,” when he heard Jae In name, he looks for a reason to not join them, “I still have a few session of practice. Just hang out without me, kay. You don’t have to pick me up too, I’m going home after this.”

“Ah, okay. It’s okay. See you tomorrow, then.” Sehun said before ending their call.

 

It’s not Jae In fault, he knows. But still, hang out with your big crush after knowing that she is already taken is different thing. The pain will linger around. And for now, Jongin thinks he can’t handle the pain. He needs time.

It’s 10PM when Jongin closed the door of practice room. The corridor still full of student who prepare for the anniversary event. But, never even in his nightmare, Jongin thinks he will face this guy. The guys who taken his biggest crush.

Byun Baekhyun walked in the corridor, pass by Jongin. Jongin give a slightly bow since Baekhyun is his senior. The latter just gave a simple smile before going away.

 

“Excuse me,” But, something inside Jongin tells him to call Baekhyun.

Baekhyun stops. He is a few steps away from Jongin before turning around to face the junior. “Yes?”

“Can I talk with you for awhile?”

 

“So, what is about?”

Baekhyun asked Jongin while the latter bring coffee for the two. Jongin choose college cafeteria to talk to Baekhyun since the place is not too crowded yet too quiet.

Jongin hands the coffee to his senior before taking a sit. He took a deep breath, tried to calm himself down. “I heard that you are dating Jae In.”

Baekhyun sips his coffee before smiling. “Did Jae In tell you?”

“Nope,” Jongin shakes his head, “But I think all the student here know about it.”

“Wah, I don’t even think the news will spread this fast,” Baekhyun gave the junior big smile, “Yeah, I’m dating Jang Jae In.”

Baekhyun said it proudly, makes Jongin even worst. Anger, hated, disappointed, sadness, Jongin felt all of it at the same time. But he had no right to mad. Slowly, he takes another deep breath.

“What are you curios about, Kim Jongin?” Baekhyun asked. He knows that Jongin needs more than ‘I’m dating Jae In’ things.

Jongin quiet for a while. “Why her? I mean, what do you see from Jang Jae In?”

“Why are you asking me this?” Baekhyun asked Jongin back. “You are her best friend, right? You should know her more than I do. You know the answer.”

Jongin doesn’t say anything. Suddenly, he felt so coward. He felt so afraid of nothing. “Can─ can I ask you something?”

Baekhyun just nods his head. Let the junior continue his sentences.

“Please take care of her. She can be so stubborn sometimes but she is so caring about her surrounded. So please, take care of her well.” Jongin said. That is the only thing that he can say.

“Why should I?” Baekhyun asked again. “Why should I take care of her for you?”

Jongin doesn’t give an answer. Suddenly he felt so pressure. He just hangs his head down.

“You like Jae In, right? That is why you asking me this. To take care of her.”

 

Baekhyun’s sentences hit Jongin right in his heart. Baekhyun words are nothing but right. Makes the latter lost for words and just face the floor.

“If you really like her, you should take care of her by yourself instead asking me to do that.” The older said. “If you really like her.”

“But you don’t have to worry, I will take care of her, even without you to tell me. Because I’m her boyfriend. I’m, Jang Jae In’s boyfriend.”

 

With that, Baekhyun went away. Left Jongin behind. Left Jongin drowns by his thought. Left Jongin drowns by his regrets.