Her Eyes

Angel In White

I can still remember the first time she captured me. Now I wish I had never noticed her. If I had only looked the other way, she wouldn't be crying today.

 

Two and a half months in the hospital has taught me nothing but the basics. At the very least I knew the ranks of each member of the staff and their role in this place. Surgeons, doctors, nurses, receptionists, patients, visitors; you name it, I know it. I can recall each staff member by name without looking at their tag and give a complete biography on their behavior and personality. But who does that impress? I have yet to pass the test I was sent here to take: to appreciate humans.

Appreciate humans. What a joke. What am I supposed to get from this place when all I see is the fake masks of caring relatives showering the sick with flowers and get-well cards? It was only moments later when they would crowd around and openly fight for the inheritance of the old woman's vast fortune while her rigid corpse still lay in the room.

I've learned a great deal from this hospital: the human world is just as I imagined it and more. It's like taking a class on how to breathe. There's no point in re-learning what you've known all your life.

So what did I do everyday in this monotonous place? Since it's already clear that I can't set a single foot out of this building (and believe me, I've tried) I do quite a bit of people watching. It's actually frightening how many of them notice though. After a certain amount of time, they would start acknowledging my presence. Some even stare back, but not for long. Maybe they feel danger, I don't know.

However, there is one girl who's different. Unlike the others, she was completely oblivious to my presence. She was a clumsy thing, always rushing here and there, getting yelled at by her superiors. But she was good at her job, and everyone knew it. Everyone seemed to be annoyed by her and couldn't give a second thought about her. I sure didn't, not until that day I came face-to-face with her.

"Let's sit here, Kyu Jong." I stared cautiously at the nurse as she advanced towards me. The whole cafeteria was empty and yet she had to pick this seat, the one I was sitting in? Her companion stopped a few feet from the table as she set her tray down in front of me.

"Um... Eun Jae, maybe we should sit somewhere else..." he suggested softly, glancing constantly between my seat and the girl.

"Why?" she asked cluelessly and lowered herself onto me. The minute her body passed through mine, a strong force sent me flying out of my chair and I landed on the rigid floor.

"Damn it!" I shouted. I got up, angrily slammed my fist down on the table, and stared into her eyes. My anger was so strong that it overwhelmed the nauseousness that I was supposed to feel right now., but after a minute of looking into her eyes, something happened that completely erased my anger.

There was something in her eyes that captured me. Those pitch-black globes somehow seemed to be glowing with light and bursting with emotion. There was not another human like her. She was the only one with such sincere emotions, begging to be understood. But who were those eyes shining for? Her lover? Her family? I soon found out. She had no family, and the only friend she had was not her boyfriend. So those expressive eyes, who were they for?

Suddenly I became immersed with finding answers. I wanted to know what could make her eyes shine so bright, and why sometimes it dimmed with sadness. I wanted to understand what each little glint meant and what triggered it. So my time became concentrated on her. Everyday I waited for her to arrive, and followed her every movement like a scientist studying his test subject. It was particularly difficult to understand what was going through her head, unlike with the other humans. It was as if she was a book written in a different language, hard to interpret. If only I could talk to her, ask her questions, it would be so much easier....